Why does anyone mine?

Hello Zarcnois,

you are right. If you only want ISK, then is mining a bad solution and doing npc hunting with a carrier the best way to get the most isk.

Regards,

If you donā€™t like mining, but donā€™t want the risk involved with a carrier (They arenā€™t as safe as you would think). Try incursions.
Shooting rats in highsec with shiny battleships making 100-120m/hour. There are several incursion communities currently.
Warp To Me Incursions is a newbro friendly group that focusā€™s on Headquarter class incursions using shield based ships (Vindicator, Mach, Nightmare, Basi, Scimi)

I donā€™t know.
That depends.

This thread is a bit weird.

Supply and demand is the simple answer to the OPs question. Why do folks do it? For the Isk. Duh.

If supply goes up and demand goes down, fewer folks will mine for isk because it wont be attractive. Then what happens? Price rises. The rewards for mining go up.

They keep going up until it becomes attractive to folks to start mining again. Then, as more folks mine for the dank profits, supply increases. Price falls. Then some folks no longer see the value, and stop mining. Supply drops. Price rise. And so on.

This is called a ā€œmarket economyā€, and it is kind of the entire point of an economic sandbox.

But there is also another reason.

If you can make capitals for folks, or maybe fit entire fleets of alliance doctrine fits, your corp becomes part of the infrastructure of the wars in new eden. You matter. You are like a farmer in wartime, exempt from the normal hostilities. You have, for want of a better word, power and status.

You get to live where sec bears canā€™t live. You get the protection of your customers who depend on your for their pew sticks.

Understand this, when there are three ships left in new eden, one of them will be mining. And it will not be the next to die.

You mine because it gives you status, power, space wealth and influence. Every army marches on its stomach, and in new eden the food is hard rock from the outer reaches of nulsec.

The industrial corps own new eden. The rest of you are just visiting.

3 Likes

Getting the minerals your self only lowers your initial investment need to produce stuff! They are not free by any means. If you think minerals are free you will build stuff that makes you less isk than just selling the minerals. I dont mind that way of thinking and actually you can contact me in game i may buy stuff from you that you have built from your free minerals.

The cool thing about EVE is the player driven economy, however the market is not balanced with PVE static payouts and thus you have an artificially high reward system to mission runners and ratters, as compared to mining, distribution, etc.

Unfortunately, it will always be this way unless CCP changes the static payouts on rats and missions to a reward system that is dynamically adjusted based on market values of material costs, such as what would exist in real life. No business could survive in RL if prices were static without considering costs. In EVE, NPC corps have unlimited money that never runs out.

Many publishers ruin their game economies by making them too simple and static, where one activity is the most profitable and everything else not worth doing. CCP could fix this easily and make the market amazing with everything revolving around industry, but I honestly think after 15 years of pumping Free broken ISK into this market, itā€™s unlikely to change any time soon.

So for now, YES mining is absolutely not worth doing if you are looking for a return of ISK for your time in game. The only reason to mine, is because you enjoy it. Yet, itā€™s hard to enjoy an activity as youā€™re finding out unless you feel itā€™s balanced.

If CCP just fixed this one issue, I believe the game would grow considerably.

uhm get it right dudeā€¦

Minerals are free,

Gathering Ore is not, it requires effort
Gatheirn Rat loot and smelting it is not, it requires effort.

That being saidā€¦my corp has made 276 billion isk profits this monthā€¦from free minerals.

here is the simple formula: you can turn 20 million ISK worth of minerals into 100 million ISK of product, for the price of 5 million ISK on avg. But only if you are procuring materials yourself instead of buying them.

1 Like

Oh yeah 1 more thing, unless you get vetted for certain things, you can only purchase mining equipment from DST.

you guys can talk forever about this subject but it wonā€™t change the fact that EVE is a game and the economy market in EVE has nothing in common with a real life marketā€¦ Just because itā€™s a game so bad and/or dumb decisions have no consequences and those decisions crash the marketā€¦

1. yes, some people will always think that the ore they mine is free because once they paid for their mining vessel and strip miner, it cost nothing to mineā€¦ they donā€™t value their time and there is nothing you can do to counter that.

2. Some players donā€™t know the mechanics or prices of the market or simple donā€™t care. They will sell their ore, no matter the price, because they donā€™t know the real price or need some isk quickly. Not later than yesterday, a guy made the trip to Jita to fill a buy order for replete cinnabar at 200 isk / unit.

3. The differents market in every region and for absolutely any products are filled with 0.01 ISK buy orderā€¦ And if those buy orders exists, it means that some people everyday make the mistake to fill themā€¦

In real life, all those bad decisions will lead to a bankrupt and/or law enforcment but in EVE, once I have my procurer, nothing can prevent me to mine flawless arkonor all day long, days after days to fill way below regular price buy orders in Jitaā€¦ Itā€™s dumb, but I will still be richer days after days and in no way in bankruptā€¦

And the guys smart enough to profit from those miners, in their turn manipulate the marketsā€¦ With ore bought at 0.01 isk or replete cinnabar at 200isk, you can build product way cheaper and sell them at Jita for even cheaper that the price of the minerals needed to build them and you still make a decent profitā€¦

So in some way, the market is completely unregulated and cannot be compared to a real life marketā€¦

2 Likes

It all depends on what you are mining. https://youtu.be/7Gvwrxyd4ik

1 Like

Dunno about you, but the occasional bit of day-tripping into a WH in search of gas, ABCs, etc even when you primarily live in high security can provide a change of pace, possibly save you having to buy some materials you normally donā€™t have regular access to, and even if it all goes to ā– ā– ā– ā–  as you get dunked by some wormbros because you werenā€™t paying enough attentionā€¦ you should have at least learned something. And the times you donā€™t get dunked and you can waltz out of there with the corp with over a couple million m3 total of ABCs, a couple complete gas sites, and maybe some good data/relic sites? You generally make more than you lose, at least if you fly what you can easily replace and manage your degree of risk properly.

But primarily mining is so I can mostly crack open a drink, crack bad jokes on comms with the corp for a few hours, and basically mostly just worry about D-Scan and keeping the resources rolling while I remote manage markets and industry, mess with PI on the portion that doesnā€™t require running out to pick it up, or whatever else I feel I can multi-task with partial attention to the game location Iā€™m residing in until the situation changes. Thereby managing to have some incoming income in game even while Iā€™m managing another resource stream elsewhere remotelyā€¦

1 Like

mining ABC in WH is uselessā€¦ LS system are filled with Athanor producing moon ore but also Arkonor, Bistot or Crockiteā€¦

If you donā€™t mine AFK, mining ABC in LS is way safer than mining it in WHā€¦ You donā€™t have to deal with sleepers and donā€™t have to D-scan every secondā€¦ Just check the local and dock as soon as a neutral enter the systemā€¦ If your constelation has an intel, it is even safer as most neutral or ennemies are spotted way before they enter your systemā€¦ the only threat in some ways are people coming from a WHā€¦

On the contrary, WH can be very interresting for mining gasā€¦ And it is a nice change of pace as you said.

I mine because I hate people that say you shouldnā€™t just because its not pvp or make the most IPH

2 Likes

I mine with my 5 alts and pvp on my pvp characters

Someone finds the best battle happens against the roids at the belt, someone simply sees things differently. Not to say one way of seeing is worse than the other, just different. Someone may or may not be after the isk but the content he/she sees fit to self. I think you should try the carrier thing If isk/pocket wealth is the thing for you currently, though If you like to mine, it may not feel such a rewarding activity as a plain activity.

Ratting in carriers is not a risk free profession too. By the way: Maybe you should consider playing the game for fun and not ISK/h.

2 Likes

maybe isk/hr is fun?

for a jew like me ā€¦very

Why does anyone mine you ask?

Because I enjoy it.

For those that say mining is pointless / a waste of time: read up on the Fountain war. CFC (Goonswarm) was in a stalemate with TEST due (in part) to the unavailability of T3 ships that their fleets were heavily composed of. To put that in simpler terms, there werenā€™t enough miners and/or industrialists to build the ships CFC needed to fight (at the time the largest and most important battle in EVE history). Yes, CFC ended up winning that warā€¦ but not through pure combat.

4 Likes