Why does anyone mine?

When you read what miners post anywhere around EVE, you can easily figure most of them are brain damaged. Maybe that’s why they choose mining over other activities that require at least a little bit of an intellect.

I mean, most miners still think mining is the only way to get minerals. You’d think they’ll get smarter over the years…nope.

1 Like

yeah but unless you do missions with a certain group I know of you can tank your standings very easily even dodging the faction bits.

I mine for the minerals for the goals I set for myself in New Eden for the ability to play the game in a manner that fits my RL for a way to relax for the chance to laugh a bit with and at my Corp members for a while. I’ll find more punctuation for my next post. Happy Rock Bashing to you all!

3 Likes

When I started playing log ago mining helped me relax after a stressful job. Now I know most may see it as a grind but I still don’t after the years. However with the addition of the new moon mining I have a few suggestions. One is that the amount of time to mine the moons takes so long that I find little time to mine materials. One fix I thought of may be that the structures fit a miner perhaps that slowing/passively mines the belt. The key being that it does not clear the entire belt fast but at the very least it does some of the work.

ZiM

1 Like

Your’e looking at it like the carrier cant be blown up IMHO. Risk v reward is balanced here TBH.

and than we will be back to the pos problem we jumped away from, afk mining as the passive miner would become mandatory on all refineries and more than make up for fuel cost, we have come to a cross road now where mining is looked down upon because “muh isk efficacy & blah carebears” to where no we have to have miners and the only people mining out there are people who established their own mining fleet of alts because “use alts for everything nub”

I mine because I love it.

mic drop

5 Likes

I mine because i get a better sense of achievement from owning something ive built.

My mining ships/Orca/Obelisk and im currently building a JF; have all had their resources mined from my time mining roids. Same can be said with my 3 Raitaru’s and Athanor also.

It may have taken me an age but its what makes me log in to the game, because i have a target.

Zykes

6 Likes

+1
how much do you lose when unexpected neutrals kill your Nyx?
vs
how much do you lose when unexpected neutrals kill your Procurer?

does the math-ish
For the Nyx, a lot.
For the mining barge, nothing.

EDIT: That was oversimplified obviously, but the point here is that the mining barge helps the player earn back what they initially paid for the barge very quickly so by the time the gankers destroy the barge you are already set to buy a replacement. Nyx is a different matter just from the initial cost alone.

2 Likes

I’m one of those players who mines because I find it enjoyable. Also, it helps me relax after a very stressful RL work day, and provides a refuge from some extremely difficult RL family health issues.

I also enjoy producing things from ore that I have mined myself.

I laugh when people make solemn pronouncements about “risk vs. reward” and “Economics 101” and getting compensated for their time.

This is a game. Many are paying RL money to play it. None of this is real–you are paying for something to occupy your free time. There is no"risk" except for the pretend risk you pretend you are assuming when you step into this sci fi universe.

The way you deal with this pretend risk is meaningless, because you are not really gaining or losing anything. When CCP eventually ends this game, all of this will be gone. It will be as if it never was.

I agree strongly with those who have said do what you want to do because you enjoy it. Enjoyment is all this is. And in our very depressing RL world, I cherish any time I can take to immerse myself in simple enjoyment.

7 Likes

I want to add that I also enjoy the process of mining. I like the mining laser graphic. The asteroids are pretty. Sometimes I orbit the asteroid while mining it.

I also enjoy the process of turning the ore into things I can use. Even though my alpha character is not very efficient, so what? I like mining the ore, producing some missiles, selling some and using the others to shoot low level rats. My character has only 50 mil ISK, but who cares? That’s more than enough.

Lately I have been having fun. I have even considered re-activating my old paid account. I had a 1 person corp back in the day and maybe it will re-appear soon.

4 Likes

i lol’d

it’s simple:

Ratting in a carrier: ~100-200 mil per hour
Ratting in a super carrier: ~300 mil per hour
Mining in a rorqual: ~150-250 mil per hour

Ratting in a carrier + mining in a rorqual: 250-450 mil per hour
Ratting in a carrier + mining in 2 rorquals: 400-700 mil per hour
Ratting in a carrier + mining in 3 rorquals: 550-950 mil per hour

Yes, you could rat in 2 carriers, but it’s less effective than a single super and you will have trouble ratting in 2 supers. You lose a lot of isk because you can’t do it efficiently.

The strength of mining is the relaxed gameplay which only gets problematic with high numbers. At the same time, high numbers will produce a LOT more isk than the already engaging ratting you can’t stack up that easily.

Also, mining in a Rorqual can be quite save. On top: If you aren’t stupid (i.e. you put your drones in a wetu), you will lose roughly 1.5B isk when your rorqual pops. That’s mined in a few hours.

1.5B is the 600 mil you pay for the insurance + 900 for the fit (which is easily enough).

It’s not nearly as bad as one might think it is, IF the infrastructure (Intel + reinforcements) is available.

1 Like

Where to start unpacking this???

Mining: Stable ISK proportional to skills, risk proportional to your mining savvy and attentiveness to local.
Ratting: Semi stable ISK proportional to skills, risk proportional to your combat savvy and attentiveness to local.
PvP: ISK Roulette. Might get bounty, might get valuable loot. Risk - Reward inversely proportional until you get good.

Ratters talk a good game on ISK/Hr. ratios. They may be accurate if they dock and sell immediately. Likely the numbers you hear are based in part on estimated cargo value. Think about it, they warp in drop MTU, clear site, move to next, repeat X# of times, re-ship to Salvage craft, return to sites, salvage wrecks, scoop MTUs return and then they can collect on the Loot & Salvage portion IF they have someone buying on the spot.

Mining can be less than ratting due to no bounty paid out for each rock you pop. A savvy miner will be working in a corp with insta-buy, making things with resources and multiplying profit, Selling manufactured goods at fair market and waiting for them to sell or all of the above. Look around, there is no shortage of people willing to pay Jita or slightly above for the convenience of having your resources nearby. Once you are connected, you have the insta-buy on hand and REAL ISK/hr.

On the face of it, Mining is indeed the highest risk of these three income streams. Miners have to stay near enough to resources to harvest. ALL common resource locations have a default warp in that is either in or very near weapons range to part or even most of those resources. The smart miners in LowSec pull security missions that have Ore in them forcing PvP Pilots to scan them down. Same can be done in HiSec if a WD is active. The absolute best risk/reward is in Null.

Risk reduction methods:

• Scouts in adjacent systems.
  • Mining on the move [75% Max speed of Hauler or Command Ship = Insta warp to your aligned safe]
  • Mining more than 14.5 AU from all gates when possible. [Now its a guessing game where you are unless they probe which still gives you more reaction time]
  • Overview that alerts you to foes
  • Actually paying attention to local
    The more of these you do, the more your risk is reduced.

Nope in my case, for loot.
It is the price I can get from items using a buyback program. Typically Jita BO×0.9

back to the prices of loss :
carrier T1 rigs/fighters is around 2B

cheap nid
[Nidhoggur, start]
Damage Control II
Drone Damage Amplifier II

Drone Navigation Computer II
Capital Shield Extender I
Capital Shield Extender I
Adaptive Invulnerability Field II
Omnidirectional Tracking Link II
Thermal Dissipation Field II

Networked Sensor Array
Cynosural Field Generator I
Fighter Support Unit I
Fighter Support Unit I
Fighter Support Unit I

Capital Core Defense Field Extender I

Tracking Speed Script x3

carrier T2/faction is around 3-4B

nid T2/faction
[Nidhoggur, ratting]
Imperial Navy Drone Damage Amplifier
Damage Control II

Capital Shield Booster II

Fighter Support Unit II
Fighter Support Unit II
Fighter Support Unit II
Networked Sensor Array
Cynosural Field Generator I

Capital Hyperspatial Velocity Optimizer II

Tracking Speed Script x2
Optimal Range Script x4

Locust II x6
Dromi II x6
Dragonfly II x9

barge is around 30-50M. That’s 100 times less

Hence the “likely”

Glad you have yourself dialed in.

I believe I covered that with “Ratters talk a good game on ISK/Hr. ratios. They may be accurate if they dock and sell immediately.” which apparently you do. Good on you!

Fly Profitable!

nope.

Most of the time the numbers are based on bounties. Average bounty /h before corp tax.
The items are only worth when there is a commander or when you have lower ship than RS.
as soon as you hit RS or above, it’s not worth looting the junk items/salvage anymore.

eg for a VNI , if I loot the sites every 4 sites and use a noctis to salvage, I can make 80M/h average(without commanders).
if someone is in a rattle he can do 90M/h, just from bounty. So here you don’t ever need to consider salvage/loot/sell time.

90m/hr bounties in a Rattler? Count me impressed! I am no where near that. But then I see myself as very mediocre on ratting. While I can run just about any site without losses, I just cant get the ticks that hi in an hour. My best is only 22-25M per tick or 75M/hr max.

Once the industry pipeline is primed, Refining, construction sell orders etc… I do way better. I have a setup to establish and I have to maintain it, I do make more if I keep it going. You really have no setup. You have the convenience of start stop anytime. That’s probably the real strength of Ratting.

Seems I have learned something here. Thanks.

indeed. Ratters make raw isk (in >= rattle).
however a ratter in a carrier and super can have people salvagin his loots. they both increase his ticks (because they start the haven earlier) and can get more money through the loot/salvage.