Why Eve is not a PvP game

I’ve forgotten more about ship spinning than you kids will ever know… /s

1 Like

Resources management is the key to victory in a PvP RTS game. It would be an absolute non-sense to pretend that how you manage your Ressources in an RTS battle is “not PvP”, and that the PvP only occur when your soldiers are facing each other.

It turns out that MMORTS is actually a thing, and Eve does actually fit most of the criteria.

(An, admittedly cherry picked, extract from wikipedia)

The titles are often based in a sci-fi or fantasy universe and are distinguished from single or small-scale multiplayer RTSes by the number of players and common use of a persistent world, generally hosted by the game’s publisher, which continues to evolve even when the player is offline.

Many MMORTSs feature living economies. Virtual items and currency have to be gained through play and have definite value for players.[2] Such a virtual economy can be analyzed (using data logged by the game) and has value in economic research.

Which gives rise to the question of could Eve be considered to be an mmorts/rpg hybrid?

6 Likes

Ah, the well known MMORTRPSG genre.

6 Likes

lol yeah acronyms become alphabet soup when they get beyond a certain length.

Rhetorical questions do have their uses, if nothing else it may spark some interesting discussion.

1 Like

but but, i have more points than you!!!

3 Likes

Everybody has more points than me; I’ve never actually looked at it.

you weren’t meant either. :slight_smile:
i just wanted to say that in eve everything is pvp. or better fits the word competition, which in turn is player vs player.

I know that was aimed at @QuakeGod, not me, and I completely agree with you; everything in Eve can be competitive if you choose to make it so.

1 Like

I agree with what you said.

My point is that the original poster actually used an article that isn’t supporting his argument, regardless if the article was true or not.

In short, the OP states why EVE is not a PVP game. Links an article that says EVE IS a PVP game (and more)…

:confused:

1 Like

No, it is not.

1 Like

Describe in your own words how you define PvP?

Sorry for the confusion.

In another thread the names i have linked in that post used those exact arguments to deny the New Player FAQ released by CCP themselves (which incidentally describes EVE’s essential core concept as a pvp sandbox) meant anything, and apparently never meant anything.

In other words, you wouldn’t get it unless you had seen the other thread.

2 Likes

It says a lot about the direction of Eve and the makeup of the “Eve IS PvP” crowd when they have to start defining PvP as “anything that involves player interaction”.

Sort of like CCP defining “players clicking the launch screen to pick up a reward” as “we’ve seen a great increase in player numbers!”.

You can spin it any way you like, actual PvP is and always has been a minority activity in Eve. It’s basically just the excuse for all the other activity that goes on in Eve.

If we want PvP to be a significant portion of Eve gameplay, then the game needs a redesign of the entire PvP process. From rewards and penalties to mechanics and battlegrounds.

The small amounts of PvP that do occur are old, stale, boring and not engaging enough to maintain player interest. Time to do more than tweak a few numbers here and there and hope for the best.

What is your definition?

2 Likes

Describe in your own words how you define PvP?

3 Likes

Wall of text to demonstrate that you don’t understand what’s being spoken about, when people call EvE a PvP game. The real time strategy element is also PvP. When you mine in hisec that’s PvP because you are competing for resources and avoiding human dangers. When you sell things on the market you having a PvP effect, competing with players to set prices. When you run a small do-nothing hisec corp and don’t even undock you are competing with other people for members, resources, taxes and defending from human dangers to your flock. EvE is catagorically a PvP game in every way. To suggest otherwise only suggests you didn’t understand the game on any more that a surface level. It’s not about playstyles, and when people say “undocking is accepting risk of loss” they are just making a complicated situation into an easy to understand rule. The game allows for anyone to aggress you as long as they’re willing to accept the consequences, so quite obviously you are accepting that risk by undocking or you wouldn’t be playing.

Please don’t run for CSM.

2 Likes

The basic, original definition: “player vs. player combat”.

Of course, the crowd still desperately trying to pretend Eve is ‘all about PvP’ will then try to re-define ‘combat’ as ‘any player interaction involving a degree of competitiveness’.

The problem with that is it rapidly becomes meaningless, because then everything can be called PvP and every game becomes a PvP game.

They’ll then try to re-define that and say “no no, player competition in Eve is actually PvP because only Eve has a truly special marketplace and only Eve has a real economy and only Eve was designed that way and…” etc.

How do I know they’ll do these things? Because they’ve it done dozens of times before whenever it’s pointed out that Eve is actually a PvE MMO with a somewhat stronger focus on non-consensual PvP than most other MMOs.

At any rate, PvP is player vs. player combat. Combat is attacking a target with weapons with the intent to destroy said target.

Feel free to start spinning it any way you like, it won’t change the reality of the game or the terms.

(Note: the “spin it any way you like” wasn’t directed at @Runa_Yamaguchi, but at the whole “player competition is PvP” crowd, which makes the term meaningless for this purpose.)

4 Likes

This PvPC term is a new one. Gotta look that up.

Just realized how deep this rabbit hole goes, when I looked up the definition of “combat”. Material for at least 100 more pages.

1 Like

The only “spin” I’d point out this that PvP defines that you are playing against a human(s) rather than the computer…regardless of game type. PvP can be in a turn based strategy or card game or football…combat isn’t the defining bit but rather the two P’s

3 Likes

hmm…what does CCP have to say about that?

:frowning: That is unfortunate. That would be interesting. I think the application deadline was extended until May 13 (EvE time of course). Please consider standing for CSM, OP. You might have just enough time to apply!