Why newbies don't stay

Learning and teaching are intrinsically linked. You can’t learn without being taught through one mechanism or another.

2 Likes

Agree

And many mechanics already in play

They just got the “Board by Corvette” button, sheesh what more do they need? :smile:

lol

There’s giving somebody a leg up, and then there’s holding their hand.

It used to be that if Eve was holding your hand you checked to see if your watch, jewellery and fingers were still present.

These days Eve is giving you a watch and some jewellery instead of cutting it off with rusty pliers, along with your fingers.

2 Likes

So you have never learned anything without someone showing you?
The bottom line is throwing new players out to learn from the veteran teachers isn’t really working.

2 Likes

I think why new players give up can be easily be explained by how experienced users use the word “sandbox”. They claim

“EVE is a sandbox game”

They use the term as if it means , no or little limitation , to describe the freedom they feel in game.

Unfortunately this is a classical case of

“I don’t think it means what you think it does”

Sandbox is actually the exact opposite , its a term used and popularized by software developers to mean code executed under extremely limited environment. That environment essentially means very limited access to computer resources for security reasons.

EVE is definitely a great game but it is also a overhyped game, people see the cover, big scale battles that make of course frontline news in game websites. But the reality is far from the hype.

Take industry, players are eager to point how everything used is made by other players, but when it comes to customizing what you actually build your options are pretty much zero. Ironically EVE is one of least customisable games I have played. Even though it offers a massive amount of variety of the things you can do , unlike other games its extremely limited to allowing the players to add their own personal touch.

I will have to agree with the original post that lack of good documentation is what hurts this game the most. I remember helping a new player get in game and he shortly gave up after trying exploration. 50% was lack of documentation another 50% is the terrible UI.

EVE is a great game it comes with a massive amount of advantages and a massive amount of disadvantages. In my case I came for the PVP and have to say I find EVE’s PVP one of the worst in any case I played but I stayed for PVE and powerful social aspect of the game.

4 Likes

It’s not about learning it never was

It is about aptitude or lack thereof. Those with the correct aptitude will succeed, those without will not.

It is just like this thread, you can tell people reality but if they don’t want to hear it you are wasting your breath.

1 Like

For me, leaning this game it was about figuring things on my own

1 Like

■■■■■■■■, dead wrong.

• Dev with 30 years experience.

Trying different things, who gives à shitt if its ont thé best way. Yah if i des stuck i could easily find help

Except that Sandbox in regards to system security is not what sanbox in terms of games describe… apples and oranges…

Sandbox game

A game where the player has the ability to create, modify, or destroy their environment, i.e. a game that includes some form of a game creation system. The term alludes to a child’s sandbox where the child can create and destroy with no given objective.

2 Likes

Everything is there for a smooth learning curve. Something is getting in the way?

And its not thé sand box

To be blunt:

Pixel Cowardice

What is getting in the way, is the gradual removal of the actual sandbox.

Adding more and more safety nets and adding features that restrict player freedom. That is what is getting in the way. Not just for new players, but for everyone.

2 Likes

What safety nets?

1 Like

Some safety nets are there To help new players. Like war decks. You can have a noob corp without getting wiped out for easy kills

1 Like

Allmighty space police, way to easy methods to make shitloads of ISK, Citadals that allow virtually riskless logistics for alliances. ■■■■ like the stupid safety button that prevents ppl from making mistakes and learning from them, wardec immunity, the crimewatch revamp… instanced space, where you are are perfectly safe from being interacted with… just to name a few things…

War Dec structure change
ECM change
Unload without docking in a station (■■■■ lore)