Why only 10 to 12 waypoints for optimization?

When planning a route the waypoint limitation for optimization seems to be 10. Though i managed to fit 12 into it, but the calculation took a while.
How can it be improved? On my side or on the server side?

Edit. SPOILER: fascinating technobabble ahead. :grin:

1 Like

The Traveling Salesman Problem

I think the calculation exponentially increases every time you add a waypoint, until you break the server :grinning:

6 Likes

The route is calculated locally, not on the server

1 Like

No, it isnā€™t. Itā€™s calculated on the server.

Proof is the fact that you can use ESI to plot a course ā€¦
ā€¦ aka start, end, waypoints ā€¦
ā€¦ and ESI sends you back the route.

Hmm, prolly I missed smth here. I see only 2 endpoints:

• GET /route/{origin}/{destination}/ - route between 2 system. These routes are static more ore less (guess they can be affected by userā€™s avoidance lists / automilot settings? - too lazy to check this)

• POST /ui/autopilot/waypoint - adds a waypoint to the end of already existing route

For server calcualtion there should be an endpoint that would accept a list of desired waypoints and return them in some ā€œoptimizedā€ order and I donā€™t see such endpoint

Iā€™ve checked my webgl map code, which has routes implemented, and apparently youā€™re right! My memory tricked me into believing otherwise! Seems Iā€™ve just connected seperate routes as if they had waypoints. To be fair, itā€™s been a while since Iā€™ve been working on this.

The server still can be used to ā€œsolveā€ any particular travelling-salesman-problem, though.
Thank you for the idea, I will try this some day. :blush:

And it just hit me that you MUST be right, because in the end itā€™s the client thatā€™s literally halting because of it. Ah, man, ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  up this one really badly. :slight_smile:

1 Like

But how?
Btw. I tried dotlan, but the optimize button did nothing to help. Or did i do it wrong? And experiences?

Any other third party programs for that problem available?
Or should i ask again in 10 years or so, to give the nerds time, to figure it out?

Slightly offtopic.

If you set the right systems in the avoid list itā€™s possible to be 2,147,483,647 jumps from your destination. WHā€™s are always that far away from anywhere, confused the hell out of me first time I saw it.

32 bit integers ftw.

3 Likes

If anyone works out how to do travelling salesman in linear time, UPS would like a word.

4 Likes

:joy::joy::joy::joy::joy:

Iā€™ll try it out first, then talk about it later. Currently busy with other things, but when I need distraction, Iā€™m going to try it. I do believe, though, that you can figure it out for yourself. The reason for this is not because Iā€™m not going to try it, despite saying, but for the same reason I never released my script thatā€™s downloading the war data from ESI.

I hog bandwidth, and processing power, like I own it. : - )

Iā€™d like to add that I didnā€™t mention anything about reasonable timeframes! :blush:

Sadly i have no idea how to use ESI(whatever that techno babble means) :grin: or the other technical stuff here.

https://esi.evetech.net/

Itā€™s the database and, indirectly, processing power available to players. Thereā€™s examples in every of these foldable/clickable thingies, see ā€œTry it outā€. Only needs a ā€œcurlā€, which you need to download seperately for windows. Itā€™s a command line utility.

I apologize for blindly assuming youā€™re using windows just because you donā€™t know ESI.

Thanks. Iā€™ll read into it.

In any case would I advise against brute forcing it by hammering ESI. Which I would never do either and have never done. Nope. Not at all.

Pedro once challenged me with the travelling salesman problem, and I donā€™t think that there is a way of solving many jumps in reasonable a short time.

Why would you care anyway? Itā€™s seems silly to think that throwing 1000s of hours of compute at the optimization of a route is going to help you, because itā€™s not worth it saving one or two jumps compared to the time wasted with this.

Still ā€¦ fascinating topic. Now I hate you.

2 Likes

:joy::joy::joy:
Iā€™m sorry to hear this, though it made me laugh pretty hard.

I looked into that esi thing and i decided to use, what the route planer allowes me to do with it.

Btw. the plan was a weekly trip to all ice systems in high sec for a new project. Iā€™ll figure something out.

Thanks for the help. To all of you. :blush::blush::blush:

2 Likes

I doubt anyone would ā€œoutbidā€ the NSA for such a method.

The image of Jesse at the end of Breaking Bad (on the leash) comes to mindā€¦

1 Like

SPOILERS GODDAMMIT.

Oh, wait. I donā€™t care. Never watched it. :sunglasses:

Why the NSA now?