Why should I renew my subscription?

No, there is another argument I made in the OP, which basically is if I want to give money to CCP out of my own pocket, because I attribute enough value to the work CCP is doing. The fact that I can remain Omega indefinitely with an SP farm just gives me the option to chose, at the cost of no progression of the alt.

I don’t think new versions is a good way for MMOs to progress. This may work for other game types, but for an MMO it basically means you trow away the whole community and with that years of history, investments, social bounds, … I could go on and on, there is a reason they once said “EVE is real”.

Also the whole Code argument isn’t really valid. EVE is a product which has lots of different pieces working together. They have replaced countless pieces server side and the EVE which was once launched is long gone and has been replaced multiple times in an iterative fashion. There is nothing to be gained by trowing all this away and rebuilding it from scratch. There are other ways to improve the software. The technical limitations CCP is facing are oftentimes limits which everyone would face if they would build a similar game, the benefit CCP has is that they have over 15 years of experience on what works and what not.

On a personal note:

At the moment I don’t have a lot of time to play anyway since I’m pretty busy in RL. But this thread was a really good experience and a lot of very good points and criticism was raised.

I have also since thought a bit more about if the stagnation of EVE is just a perception issue on my side. If I look at the patch notes there clearly is stuff going on. New stuff gets implemented, maybe slower, maybe still at the same pace, but it seams that there is a problem with visibility or overall coherence in appearance when they make this changes.

Anyway, once I’m back with more time to play I will probably resub my alt for another year. This thread has helped me answer the question and despite the apparent stagnation EVE still holds a lot of value and I feel like I should pay CCP for the effort they take to keep it running.

I hope they get their internal stuff settled, as it seams from the CSM minutes that they are not really in a good place when it comes to employee satisfaction, which is understandable given the fact that they laid off that many co-workers, which in oftentimes are like friends or even family.

I also want to thank the GMs and ISD for leaving the thread open and providing the ability to discuss such controversial things, even with multiple posters trying to completely derail the thread. This is not something which should be taken for granted and could not be freely discussed in many other official game forums. Thank you!

I think we should leave the thread open so others can still share their views.

4 Likes