Why XL torpedo sucks?

Looking at the figures:
T1 Torpedo explosion radius 450m. Abaddon (battleship) sig 470m.
XL torpedo explosion radius 17,000m. Revelation sig 11,100m. Avatar sig 22,760m.

Damage is proportional to the ratio of explosion to signature (ignoring other effects). And one target painter on a dreadnought is going to bring it’s sig up above the size of an XL torpedo explosion (it’s one e-way they are not immune to as I recall).

This isn’t feeling unreasonable to me. They are citadel weapons designed to heavily damage capital ships rather than battleships. They apply better to big capital ships than small ones.

To be honest, now that he mistook the quads for the hexa, I think he just didn’t realize what the xl torps are used for.

1 Like

The thing is the right missile/Torpedo for the right target.

XL Torps are not for subcaps… or even really small caps. They are Titan killers. The torpedo itself is the size of a battlecruiser. The only thing I think it should have is an AOE. If I hit a ship and there is another ship in that 17km radius it should take damage too.

But the slow explosion speed is what my biggest problem with torps… 28m/s on that XL and 61m/s on that regular rage torp. I just wished they were a bit faster on the explosion velocity. Like 1.5x faster.

You are comparing a standart large torpedo to a battleship with a T2 rage to a dreadnought… Of course the explosion radius is too big. Take a normal XL Torp, then you have a explo rad of 10km, slightly smaller than capitals. Rage are always meant to hit painted targets, or bigger ones, in this case supers and Titans

This just came to my mind…

Explosion has a radius and a speed. These two parameters mean that there should be expanding ball of fire of some kind for time needed for explosion to reach it’s maximum radius?

So for this XL torpedo it will be 17000/30=566? whooping 10 minutes of ball of fire with expanding radius providing damage to anything in the area of 17 km?

So let’s say i shoot torpedo. 5 minutes later someone travels through this area and catches my damage? :hushed:

Does it work like that?

2 Likes

Dont bring actual science and math to Eve… you know CCP doesnt like that.

1 Like

no.
It’s not really the speed of the explosion, but of the warhead able to explode the correct way. The warhead detonates when close enough, but can’t connect a correct hit if you are too fast or it can’t “acquire” your signature. Just try to launch a rocket on a moskito. or on a supersonic plane. the moskito will take some damage, from the sound of the rocket passing by ^^ The plane, because it will see the light from the explosion.
Those are extreme cases, though.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.