Why Your Empire Sucks

doing a lot of thinking on day to day stuff recently, what is a clan’s structure between chief/ves, shamans, tribal elders and commonners.

the minmatar might follow a nepotic power style - we promote family values as often as family members structured through the voluval tatoos saying who is suited for the job.

how do clans work, do the have sub clans yes do they have sub sub clans? perhaps the structure is tribe, clan, sub clan, family clan, family. how is then the power distribution, what is the job of shaman - only spirit guidance, healing or do they play a role similar to archbishop and holder of the amarr when it comes to the chief.

are shamans clan/ independent i.e. your a vehrokior mystic you may be shaman or clan/trine related i.e. sebestior becomes sebestior shaman or are they considered something to pod pilots in the spiritual.

what is thd community service in the republic? food sharing from rich to poor, collecting some form of taxes for the clan holding, a enlightenjng story about animal spirits and some we honour the ancients/forefather ritual… i visited a shaman session in the past so last is normal initial ritus of some sessions.

lot’s of questiond

1 Like

Nepotism and “fate” seem to be strong contenders. After passing of Karin Midular, her niece, Acassa Midular became the next leader of the Sebiestor Tribe. Somehow I suspect it was not entirely on her own merit - though I don’t mean to say she couldn’t be or isn’t a good chieftain, just that it looks like the position got handed to her because of a famous relative, at the very least it tipped scales a bit to her favour. Also, it is possible that Karin Midular’s extremely rare Voluval mark might have given prestige to her family and clan in a way most of us likely can’t understand.
As a whole, the government / leadership structure is very authoritarian - what a leader says on something is absolute and basically law to anyone below them, from a “lowly” family matriarch/patriarch to clan leader and so on.

Those are all very good questions. As far as I’m aware of, we don’t really know. I mean, the sub clan thing does sound feasible, and seeing how there are trillions of citizens, there are probably hundreds of thousands if not millions of clans too. The official structure I think is Nation > Tribe > Clan > Family > Individual.

Nation part here meaning the 7 Tribal Chiefs, and I guess by some extension the Elders & Sanmatar, altough the Elders seem to have blasted off again at the speed of light and Sanmatar today gets fired if they use their actual power (or that’s the theory anyway, not sure who can fire him except the Elders who have even higher authority).

Again this hard to say, all the sources I’ve found with Google tend to be somewhat vague, but I think it is fair to say that the most prominent shamans are spiritual leaders and caretakers to their respective tribes and clans - though the Sebiestor Spiritual Leader, Vuld Haupt is not described as a shaman at any point, that I can see. The most well known shamans tend to belong to the Vherokior, but there are mentions of at least Sebiestor shamans in the lore, and I wouldn’t see it too much of a leap to assume other Tribes have their own shamans as well. However, the Vherokior ones are notable as the only ones who know how the Voluval injection is made - while I think other shamans can oversee and administer the ritual, the injection has to be made by a Vherokior shaman and I think in some mission perhaps I read something about this, having to request the injection well ahead of time.

As for healing - perhaps, but more of a spiritual type of healing that I know of. The Minmatar are not, despite some peoples insistence, a backwards society where people shun modern medical technology, but hey, a few prayers to the spirits can’t hurt on top of a nanosuture, right? Though I’m sure some of them know herbal remedies and such, I tend to think they are the last resort and for the wellbeing of a persons spirit in the “After” than to actually do much else, unless we’re talking about people who literally still live in jungles and not modern cities.

Again, I’m not an expert on Minmatar lore, but that’s what I’ve come up with, with the sources available to me.

2 Likes

thanks for your reply. gave me quite a lot of insight.

well while i wait for the alpha changes i’m flashing out some background stuff for a new character considering a possible clan structure - for example retailer mystic mix a bit mystic yet retailers with own agrarian production - possible daily live or job of the clan members - for example distribution over space how what work capable members do some work on farms, some in a farming tool supply, some for the tribe selling of products to customers through tribe contacts - and fleshing out a clan internal language coexisting with lingua franca of the republic … clan refers to latter as padtra (patorian, pator tongue)

not sure but i think minmatar might reroute people to shops of their relatives with well natured advices. there may be some kind of cousine commerce.

Is this thing still alive by the way?

1 Like

I am unfortunately doing my exams currently, so don’t have a great deal of time to spend drafting this out, and before that I was covering the wars in the south, which is the primary focus of my channel. That said I really do want to get the Amarr one out as the Minmatar one was a huge success for me, got a lot of new interest, and it’s had one of the longest ‘tails’ of viewership of any of my videos except the one where I talked about be relationships between the great (player) powers!

3 Likes

Aight, best of luck with your exams.

1 Like

If anyone is interested, here’s a podcast that I thought was excellent: Jin’talks – Why The Minmatar Republic Sucks He goes pretty deep into the old official lore and cites some examples of horrible things Minmatar do to themselves and others. Not too pretty, but then again, all of the very old lore is pretty ugly.

That’s one episode of a series. He has other ones explaining why the other races also suck. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

That Jin’taan, man. I’m sure his videos will be a big help to Jin’taan here. :wink:

2 Likes

LOL, whoops! Shouldn’t have tried to try slip in a quick post while ninja foruming at work. :flushed:

4 Likes

He reminded me I still owe everyone a “Why the Amarr Empire Sucks” - Putting out an interview w/ some political ties tonight, hopefully will be able to spend time finishing up my draft here soon.

4 Likes

I take this to be more of an inherited potentially genetic memory. The way I present this i RP terms is vague memories of an island race, fiercely independant, but willing to assist others when they need it most (very loosely British).

Nearer memories express themself more vividly, for instance one or two lives back Corra was a soldier, hence his constant martial arts training and ever present auto-shotgun.

If anything being Intaki and a capsuleer are complementary. Conceivably an Intaki capsuleer could prepare themself and then biomass to move on to the next turn of the wheel, taking with them a large amount of memories from their pod existence.

2 Likes

The Calder state grinds the faces of its citizens into the dirt.

2 Likes

Then you’re taking it very differently from what the in-game text on the thing says.

But that’s your prerogative of course, it is something of a free-form game after all :slight_smile:

The Intaki practice what many foreigners consider a dark art: transferring the personality of a dying person into a newborn baby. Steeped in folklore and perfected with technology the Rebirth process takes place in perfect accordance with ancient Intaki tradition. And while not all who been reborn adhere to traditional Intaki faith themselves, it is a well-known fact that the Reborn account for a surprisingly high number of capsuleers among the larger Intaki population.

Myself I took it that this entails some form of actual transfer of memories from one to the other & maybe even the physical transplant of those parts of the brain that house memory, compared to any other transplants that is in some ways easy, there’s no tissue rejection to worry about for a start.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.