Working for 2 accounts

The Porpoise can fit shield command boosts if that is what you mean. I wouldn’t count on them alone saving your Hulk though. Even a boosted Hulk is much more squishy than a Skiff.

2 Likes

Would it be worth to upgrade to an orca later, or is the porpoise good enough as mining buffer ?

bump

Or a more important question: when using an orca with high shield buffing skills in a 0.6 system and mining with a hulk…would that work against gankers ?

If you join a corp that owns one or more refineries far from trade hubs you could moon mine using procurers and most gankers would leave you be.

The Orca provides a 5% increase in mining buffs at max level over the Porpoise (15% vs 10%). That isn’t very much so I would say it is a viable booster. It also proves a 5% increase to shield boosts (5% vs 0%) which also is pretty small, or at least isn’t likely to make the difference between a successful gank or not. I think the Porpoise is fine, although if you have the resources, the Orca is better at all things, except perhaps being slower to move around, so it is something to shoot for. But it is like 10-times more expensive, so definitely the Porpoise is has a niche and will be useful to many players.

But as for mining in a tanked Hulk, even with shield boosts, in a 0.6 system, I would say you are taking your chances. Hulks have very little tank, even if you fit all the tank mods you can, so the only way I would use them in highsec is by relying on paying attention to escape any incoming threat - that means always fit max yield. This is made easier if you are in a remote corner of highsec where new visitors stand out, but you still have to be vigilant. So I would say either fly a max-yield Covetor and trust the extra yield will cover any lapses in attention, or go with a Procurer or Skiff, tank it some and rely on the large EHP of that that to keep you safe.

you have answers for that question here:

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.