Zkill winners build?

Actually, I think having the fit of guys who deal the most damage, the final blow, the 2nd most damage, and the guy who did the 3rd most damage fi the final blow was one of those two other guys should be on the killmails.

Notice how a lot of FPS games have a killcam that shows your killer? This is so that players don’t die and not figure out what happened. I don’t know a lot about MMO games, but I have played a lot of FPS games and seen what patches can empty or fill servers. In games where long ranged weapons can three shot or one shot a player (often with a sniper rifle, but it can be a futuristic laser weapon) that can’t be dodged, what determines if a player will stay is often a killcam. The reasoning is that killcams prevent new players from leaving because they don’t ragequit the moment they die to someone who they didn’t see. Oddly, it’s almost always the long-ranged weapons that cause these ragequits, never any games with a one hit kill melee weapon.

Wait how do I know? Well in a lot of games, I see server regulars and recognize the same screen names. 3/4 people are actually people I only see once so the regulars are actually a minority. But sometimes, a guy just dies to a long range attacked, quits, and never comes back. In games with leaderboards that span all players, I sometimes notice those names never go up in total kills after that last time I saw him.

Moving into this speculation, one of the reasons I think these ragequits happen among newer players is that they don’t have any understanding of why they died. The presence of a killcam means they can see that some guy managed to reach this terrain piece and got that optimal sniping position. They feel that it’s hopeless while the killcam games make them know where they were hit from, either gaining the ability to reach that spot and dispatch the sniper on his own terms, or the illusion that he can (since to get there he’d have to overcome obstacles besides that one player).

Some people quit EVE after a particularly bad loss. Like this one case I saw an Orca (with an expanded cargohold that can actually fit in his cargo hold along with whatever he was already carrying *sigh) where the surviving drops had enough assets to sell and PLEX an account for 38 months and then his character info showed he changed to the new player NPC corp and his zKillboard had nothing for months makes me guess I know what happened. This guy got popped in his Ice Retriever before, lost at least 7 Porpoises before, and seemed to do a lot of solo PVP and he won most but lost some. After that Orca loss by the gate, activity was silent.

Or maybe I’m wrong and he just stuck to high sec mining for the rest of his career, not like I can look I last online status like with my corpmates.

And some people have only one ship loss on their killboard followed by a pod and no kills or losses after that. If this happened in a low-sec to high sec gate, I can also guess what happened here.

However, I suspect that the recruit retention could be a bit higher if these killmails gave the fitting of the attacker. Some people just don’t realize the fundamental PVP nature of the game and so will quit here since the game was never for them in the first place and they just realized this, but others might have only done so due to the frustration of not knowing why they were so outclassed and got podded. In fact in HU I saw at least three people asking what fitting on earth their attacked had to let them win a one vs one and I think they quit.

The fact that they didn’t bother putting an “I’m leaving” post makes me more certain they actually left and weren’t just fumming only to come back a few months later. When it came to FPS games, almost everyone I saw with a “I’m quitting” forum post I saw them in game within 36 months, one time within 1 month. Sometimes I saw them on the same server, other times there was a global leaderboard.

So applying my FPS knowledge to MMOs, I believe that a lot of people quitting after a loss in EVE didn’t fully understand what game they were joining, were an old veteran on the borderline of leaving due to some patch but kept logging in by habit until the big loss, or were frustrated they didn’t know what killed them.

But honestly, while posting the fits of 3 of the killers I think is a step in the right direction, it’s probably too complicated for marginal gains since most of the people who quit were a bad fit for the game in the first place.

Something much easier to code and would bring more benefits is include everyone who gave repote support to guy who gave the final blow on killmails. Coding for “just add this player to the killmail” is a lot easier than reformating to show a fitting and some guy would be like “damn, that guy repaired my foe”

I must admit EVE is not an FPS and a lot of what I said could be completely wrong.

Are you talking about this guy?
The victim of EVE Online's $5,000 gank says he's struggling with the aftermath | PC Gamer.

That was a whole thing.

Wrong orca and apparently that guy you’re linking carried even more valuables than the one I remembered. I said about 38 months of subscription worth, not thousands of dollars. I don’t know the guy mentioned in the article, that was before my time. The guy I was thinking of lost less than him. Although that article sort of makes me depressed since apparently gankers have an intel network more sophisticated that I would have hoped.

But I mean either the Orca guy I was thinking of or the Orca guy in the article you linked both kind of add to my example of people quitting after a particularly bad loss. I know the OP’s suggestion wouldn’t change the Orca guys’ decisions to leave. But I think it might help with player retention since I theorize that just like some people leave an FPS because they think the maps are unbalanced when they die to someone they can’t see and there is no killcam, there could be something like this in EVE and perhaps showing the modules of three of people’s killers might help.

Or maybe I’m completely wrong people who leave after a loss are only doing it because of the loss and never due frustration of after the loss not realizing why they lost all the fancy things in their head. I have no idea to be honest. There are people in every game who leave when things don’t go well, but the frustration I see in some FPS games that don’t give a killcam is something I consider a separate subcase since this never happens after a close range kill.

First thing to note, to me, is range. Brawl, or scram-kite, or kite.

I think being able to just know someone’s fit without any work would be a ballance concern, half the skill in PVP in almost any game is picking your fights. EVE isn’t really designed with the concept that you should be given all the information, you’re meant to go out, die and learn something from the expierence.

one guy I fly with has actually taken the time to learn all the gun models and module effects so he can identify a fit from visual cues before the fight begins. Easy access to fits would make those kinds of player skills obsolete.

bassically learn from your losses and you’ll have less. I’m sure learning from mine, I made some large fitting mistakes the other day.

One helpful strategy, when trying a new activity, is to look on zkill to see what ships and fits other people are flying when doing that activity.

The problem is, when I do that, I always have this voice in the back of my head saying that maybe I’m emulating the strategy that doesn’t work… I’m copying fits of people who were killed by the drifter instead of those who killed the drifter or whatever, lol. But, seems to work out nonetheless.

First you check zkill to find the top killers that use the ship you are looking at. Then you find the loss mails for those guys.

4 Likes

have you even thought of how zkill would do that? it’s not like the game server just lays that info on the table. maybe zkill doesnt show that because that data is simply not available!

Because you can examine insides of a destroyed ship to figure out what it had fitted. You can do no such thing if your enemy survived an engagement.

Well, as anything in eve, this can be solved by having alts. Feed your opponent something juicy he’ll go for, and as he does so grab a tackle. Before he can finish you off, fly in with the alt that has a ewar frigate or something alike with high sensor range / speed and movement, and cycle your ship scanner on him.

CODE claims they kill any miner for you that you pay them for, with the prices peaking around 300M isk for ehp heavy miners ( see the Miner Hunting Service thread for more information ). Giving a few hundred million isk to CODE will result in a zkill entry for the damn miner that thought he was allowed to kill others w/o ganking permit.

I can confirm that I am in the DEMINING business.

Is your system infested with miners? I am here to help!

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.