Level 4 Mining Mission Summary

What are mining missions? They are provided by mission agents, just like security and distribution missions and are rewarded with Loyalty Points and ISK just like any other mission. The general task is to warp to a mission deadspace location and mine out the ore, ice or gas there. The mined item will be given to the agent to complete the mission. If you’ve got an Alt Toon and are looking for an easy way to make some decent ISK in a fairly AFK manner then mining missions could be what you’re looking for. I’ve been at it on and off for the past little while and have a decent system down.

If you need a base guide to start from there is a good post on ore mining here [Guide] Ore Mining

You’ll need to build up standing to get access to the Level 4 Missions but you can start out doing the Level 1 Missions in a Venture and be training into the larger mining ships while you’re grinding away at those.

At minimum for the Level 4 Missions I’d recommend that you have and be able to pilot the following ships:
• a Venture for gas mining
• two Retrievers, one fit for ice mining one fit for ore mining
• a Miasmos for hauling ore out of the bulkier ore mining missions

If you’ve got the ISK to spare and want to get serious about it:
• a Hulk or Porpoise for the bulkier ore mining missions

The Missions, there are nine of them:

Arisite Envy
• 45,000 m3, use Gneiss crystal
• Ore Hulk or Ore Retriever, warp in, launch drones, position your ship within mining range of the 1 asteroid, jet can mine until it is mined out then return with a Miasmos and pick up all the ore ~ Using a Porpoise for this mission is a viable option

Cheap Chills
• 20,000 m3, Ice mining
• Ice Retriever, warp in, launch drones, orbit ice, AFK mine, can do in one load – you get a notice when the ice is mined out

Feeding the Giant
• 44,800 m3, use Dark Ochre crystal
• Ore Hulk or Ore Retriever, warp in, launch drones, position your ship within mining range of the 1 asteroid, jet can mine until it is mined out then return with a Miasmos and pick up all the ore ~ Using a Porpoise for this mission is a viable option

Gas Injections
• 4,250 m3, Gas Mining
• Gas Venture, warp in, launch drones, orbit gas, AFK mine, can do in one load – no notice is given when gas cloud runs out

Geodite and Gemology
• 44,800 m3, use Crokite crystal
• Ore Hulk or Ore Retriever, warp in , launch drones, position your ship within mining range of both asteroids, jet can mine until they are mined out then return with a Miasmos and pick up all the ore ~ Using a Porpoise for this mission is a viable option

Ice Installation
• 20,000 m3, Ice mining
• Ice Retriever, warp in, launch drones, orbit ice, AFK mine, can do in one load – you get a notice when the ice is mined out ~ This mission often spawns Drone Faction rats

Like Drones to a Cloud
• 4,250 m3, Gas Mining
• Gas Venture, warp in, launch drones, orbit gas, AFK mine, can do in one load – no notice is given when gas cloud runs out

Mother Lode
• 44,800 m3, use Arkonor crystal
• Ore Hulk or Ore Retriever, warp in, launch drones, position your ship within mining range of all 8 asteroids, jet can mine until they are mined out then return with a Miasmos and pick up all the ore – don’t get too close to the asteroids (keep 5,000m away) they explode while you are mining them ~ I would not use a Porpoise for this mission, your drones orbit the asteroids too close and will take damage from the explosions

Not Gneiss at All
• 21,000 m3, use Gneiss crystal
• Ore Retriever, warp in, launch drones, position your ship within mining range of the 1 asteroid, mine until it is mined out then return to station and turn it it.

Some notes:

Rats
• You will get the occasional rat spawn to shoot in your mission and they won’t be based on the level of mission your running, they will be System specific so just like you’d find in an asteroid belt in the System you’re doing the mission in. In High-Sec they will be mostly Frigates and rarely a Cruiser sized rat but if you’re running mining missions in Null-Sec then you’ll often see Cruiser and Battleship sized rats and I’d assume there would be a chance of getting a NPC capital spawn. The gas mining missions seem to spawn Drone Faction rats plus the ‘native’ rats. I’d recommend using a Procurer for running mining missions in Null-Sec.

Gankers
• There is no such thing as mining without gankers but mining missions do give you a little bit of a buffer because you are mining in a deadspace pocket where gankers will need to scan you down. A Venture can earn its price tag in a single mission, the Retriever can do it in an hour.

Income
• If you are near the keyboard and dock as soon as the ice/gas/ore is mined out, you can do about 3 missions an hour. In High-Sec, a mission gives 1.8M ISK and 4.5K LP on average and depending on whose Loyalty Points you’re getting this can convert into over 40M/hour. In NPC nullsec, working for a Pirate Faction you can get up to 80M/hour.

Storyline missions
• When you are doing Level 4 mining missions, you will get Level 4 storyline missions.
• Get a load of Kernite to the storyline mission station as the agent will often asks for Kernite.
• They will also have hauling missions, sometimes a small item and occasionally a load of 40K m3 cargo which you can complete in 2 loads with a T1 hauler.
• There are also combat storyline missions which you may be able to complete with your main? But there is a special one “Record Cleaning” which needs no combat, just a max-active-tanked battleship to fly over the acidic cloud.
• Complete every storyline mission that you can to get the faction standings over 5.0, which will allow you to decline the slower mining missions.

[Venture, Level 4 Gas Harvester]
Gas Cloud Harvester II
Core Probe Launcher I
Gas Cloud Harvester II

1MN Monopropellant Enduring Afterburner
Adaptive Invulnerability Field II
Medium Shield Extender II

Damage Control II

Small Gravity Capacitor Upgrade I
Small Core Defense Field Extender I
Small Core Defense Field Extender I

Hobgoblin II x2

Core Scanner Probe I x8

[Retriever, Level 4 Ice Harvester]
Ice Harvester II
Ice Harvester II

Small Shield Extender II

Ice Harvester Upgrade II
Damage Control II
Ice Harvester Upgrade II

Medium Core Defense Field Extender I

Warrior II x5

• You could swap out one of the Medium Core Defense Field Extender I for a Medium Ice Harvester Accelerator I, which would give you a little boost to your mining speed.

[Retriever, Level 4 Ore Miner]
Modulated Strip Miner II
Modulated Strip Miner II

Small Shield Extender II

Mining Laser Upgrade II
Damage Control II
Mining Laser Upgrade II

Warrior II x5

[Miasmos, Level 4 Hauler]
Small Tractor Beam II
Small Tractor Beam II

Large Shield Extender II
EM Ward Field II
Thermal Dissipation Field II

Damage Control II
Inertial Stabilizers II
Inertial Stabilizers II
Inertial Stabilizers II

[Hulk, Level 4 Ore Miner]
Modulated Strip Miner II
Modulated Strip Miner II

Small F-S9 Regolith Compact Shield Extender
Domination Explosive Deflection Field
Gistum C-Type Kinetic Deflection Amplifier
Survey Scanner II

Mining Laser Upgrade II
Mining Laser Upgrade II
Mining Laser Upgrade II

Medium Processor Overclocking Unit I
Medium Core Defense Field Extender II

Warrior II x5

[Porpoise, Level 4 Ore Miner]

Damage Control II
Omnidirectional Tracking Enhancer II

Large Shield Extender II
Drone Navigation Computer II
Drone Navigation Computer II

Medium S95a Scoped Remote Shield Booster
Salvager II
Small Tractor Beam II
Drone Link Augmentor II

Medium Drone Mining Augmentor II
Medium Drone Mining Augmentor II
Medium Drone Mining Augmentor I

Mining Drone II x5

72 Likes

Nice summary. I could see myself doing this multitasking (in HighSec) while actually doing other stuff.

But I wonder if there is a specific reason why there are Warriors in the fittings? I always thought Hobgoblins with their thermal damage would be the best “overall” type of drone. At least when you’re not knowing what rats you might face.

2 Likes

ok wait - there are drones other than Hobbies? :astonished:

2 Likes

The Warriors are there cause I do my LVL 4 Missions in Angel space, swap the drones to hit whatever type of rats you’re shooting.

5 Likes

Nice write up, thanks for sharing.

DMC

1 Like

Can an Orca replace all the other ship (save the gas harvester venture) decently?

I have an alt who can fly the Orca and this could be a good semi afk activity while i fly with my main

1 Like

Nice guide, and thanks for the crystals that we can use, I was using a strip miner I for now.

Maybe one thing or two about the fits and the ore missions : using mining drones can help a bunch so putting a mining drone rig is a good idea for me.

Although one important thing about the mining drones : one ore mission, can’t remember the name but had arkonor-like roids in it, has explosives asteroids actually, each time the a mining laser finish a cycle, the asteroid can create an explosion around it, which can easily wreck mining drones.

2 Likes

Not sure how well the Orca would do for missioning? It does have a huge hold so you could do the bulkier missions in one go so that could be worthwhile… would have to test it out and see.

2 Likes

“Mother Lode” is the one with the exploding ore, 8 smaller roids that have like a 5km radius explosion each time the miner cycles.

3 Likes

Thanks for the write up. I just use one Retriever, change the loadout for the mission and make two trips when necessary. It’s definitely semi-afk LPs and ISK.

2 Likes

interesting, don’t think I’ve ever seen someone write up the mining missions before. Also it looks like something that would be easy to multibox.

5 Likes

You got featured on the weekly news with your guide, good job :grinning:

9 Likes

nice guide but isnt it more profitable to mine the normal way

3 Likes

Not sure, can you make 40M/hour mining in High-Sec space with 1 toon?

2 Likes

not sure i dont mine but looking at say gneiss
correct me if im wrong because i dont mine
on eve central it seems to go for 1200isk minimum
im guessing 45000m is 9000 units
so that is 10.8m+ depending on how you sell it
so youre gonna need 2000+ isk/lp to compete i guess
there arent many lp stores that offer that return i think
not even sure if the super secret one is that good
edit
okay the super secret one gives you about 3000 isk/lp
so i guess it could be more profitable

3 Likes

Yep, missions I’m running are netting me around 3500 isk/lp, so solid return on time investment - especially considering it’s pretty afk ‘work’.

4 Likes

Thanks. I will have to try these.

3 Likes

Have been tracking the ISK and LP rewards for the past few weeks. This is with Negotiation V & Mining Connections V in a 0.6 Sec Status System with 9.98 Standing to the Agent.

Mission Arisite Envy Cheap Chills Feeding the Giant
Ore Type Gneiss Ice Dark Ochre
m³ Ore 45,000 m3 20,000 m3 44,800 m3
Best Ship Hulk, jet can Retriever Hulk, jet can
LP Reward 4,779 2,591 4,482
ISK Reward $1,190,000 $583,000 $975,000
ISK Bonus $1,120,000 $479,000 $924,000
ISK Total $2,310,000 $1,062,000 $1,899,000

Mission Gas Injections Geodite and Gemology Ice Installation
Ore Type Gas Crokite Ice
m³ Ore 4,250 m3 44,800 m3 20,000 m3
Best Ship Venture Hulk, jet can Retriever
LP Reward 4,372 4,631 2,622
ISK Reward $928,000 $960,000 $594,000
ISK Bonus $1,080,000 $1,020,000 $579,000
ISK Total $2,008,000 $1,980,000 $1,173,000

Mission Like Drones to a Cloud Mother Lode Not Gneiss at All
Ore Type Gas Arkonor Gneiss
m³ Ore 4,250 m3 44,800 m3 21,000 m3
Best Ship Venture Hulk, jet can Retriever
LP Reward 3,564 4,552 4,193
ISK Reward $716,000 $826,000 $900,000
ISK Bonus $789,000 $977,000 $832,000
ISK Total $1,505,000 $1,803,000 $1,732,000

ISK/Mission Avg: $1,719,111
LP/Mission Avg: 3,976

13 Likes

Looking at the table above and seeing “*, jet can” I thought I’d mention the following:

Since the ores required to finish these missions are mission specific and not found on the market, warping in and nicking even just 1 unit will render the mission uncompletable. This will cause a reaction ranging in intensity from “/ignore” to “5-bill-purple-BS-lolmail.”

Jussayin’. A, uh, “friend” told me so.

8 Likes

Agreed @Yourmoney_Mywallet … my recommendation to anyone who gets scanned down and messed with while running these missions is to “/ignore”. If someone takes some of the mission specific ore then just take the loss and fail the mission. If the ‘offender’ sticks around then start using a Retriever for the bulkier missions and make two trips or take a break, do something else for a bit, they’ll likely get bored after a while and move on to other more exciting activities.

5 Likes