1/4 earnings call TL;DR

Edited as I got the report.

2 note worthy points.

1. Eve operating profits were down half a million dollars on the year with biggest fall being this quarter, $300k. Meaning eve lost more revenue this latest 1/4 than the others combined, which is terrible as winter is the games most busy period. However mitigating, a large scale war just ended, & the pandemic is drawing to a close in most nations, well at least the restrictions are. Further mitigation, there is likely subscription delay owing to the poverty patching which might smooth out next 1/4.
  2. Work on Play 2 earn within eve online is progressing well, a stable block chain supporting it is expected soon.

My take, eveonline in current format is stale and stalling. Change is needed before loss of critical mass. P2E is now likely best practise for revenue extraction from the TQ server.

1 Like

What?

2 Likes

The PA with a CCP focus quarterly earnings call. Where current profits and future gameplans are discussed for share holders.

I never listened and was hoping for a TL;DR from someone who did.

Mainly to see how bad the downtick is owing to poverty patching or who knows maybe even uptick.

OK I got the tl;dr,

2 note worthy points.

1. Eve operating profits were down half a million dollars on the year with biggest fall being this quarter, $300k. Meaning eve lost more revenue this latest 1/4 than the others combined, which is terrible as winter is the games most busy period. However mitigating, a large scale war just ended, & the pandemic is drawing to a close in most nations, well at least the restrictions are. Further mitigation, there is likely subscription delay owing to the poverty patching which might smooth out next 1/4.

2. Work on Play 2 earn within eve online is progressing well, a stable block chain supporting it is expected soon.

My take, eveonline in current format is stale and stalling. Change is needed before loss of critical mass. P2E is now likely best practise for revenue extraction from the TQ server.

1 Like

I spent more on Twitch last month than EvE. Not sure if Iā€™m the only one here but this could be the reason for the downtrend. Playes spending more money on cheering/subbing than welping ships.
To those that got hit by my bitsā€¦your welcome.
Next month I think Iā€™ll just buy plex.
It sure was fun though.

Or the other 3/4 were players not happy with the mining changes.
Nothing fun about wasted mining cycles.
Itā€™s like me handing you your paycheck in 100 dollar bills, except every three out of five times I crumple up a 100 dollar bill and throw it in the trash.

Lol!

None of this looks good for Eve.

NFTs are being backtracked across all industries after a flash of ignorant idiocy from every directionā€¦ but CCP is going full-***ard.

2 Likes

Listening to the audio of the call now off the PA site investor relations disclosures page. No one seems that taken aback by the numbers. Almost as if they expected this result with the timeframe, and external market forces. Seems more like the retraction of BD Mobile in China is what really is the issue they want to tackle.

Edit: 32 min mark is where blockchain tech is gone over with regards to Eve specifically, but nothing scary there. Just seems like they are laying out a way to monetize and bring in content creators around their IP (Streamers, artist, etc, etc) in a way to join in on, and enhance the revenue stream, while protecting the IP. So not Fortnite insanity metaverse where they dilute the IP as a billboard product with other IPs. Or at least that is how I took the CFOs take on it as what is feasible in P2E as a concept. 18 min mark, the distinction is made on due diligence R&D on blockchain tech as a mechanism in game, with the immediate caveat of ā€˜Has to serve the making of an immersive game firstā€™ so also nothing scary there. Would say not that much to worry on here in its full context.

PA conference call audio for investors on end of Q4 and forward

1 Like

Nothing was said about NFTS. NFTS have nothing to do with P2E.

Pay to Win games only work if the grind is so boring and unfun that the only people willing to do it demand payment. Granted, Eveā€™s grind has always been halfway there; which is why weā€™ve always had such a problem with RMT in the first place. However, if CCP/PA are embracing that aspect of the game for temporary profit, I think they deserve to go out of business and I for one wonā€™t be giving them one more ISK of my IRL money until and unless they come back from this insanity.

1 Like

You have to be the most gullible idiot Iā€™ve seen on the forums to date. Congratulations.

1 Like

You know those floating screens they have in space? They could put streamers, artists, etc there for advertising.

1 Like

I get why clueless ā€œcrypto investorsā€ or CEOs who are completely detached from reality might think this is a great idea. What I donā€™t get is why all the developers in the company who are fighting bots for decades and try endlessly to crush the third-party markets that devalue the whole game experience donā€™t stand up and say something. Are they afraid of Hilmar, is he simply not listening or are they equally oblivious to the detrimental effects this would have on the game?

Firstly the idea that CCP has put any effort into fighting bots is a fallacy. CCP has put great efforts into fighting 3rd party RMT sites who just so happen to also use bots.

Botting without RMTā€™ng is not even a perma ban offence in Eve and non RMT botting makes up a major component of Eveā€™s monetisation strategy. There has been next to zero investment in any anti botting tech or strategy.

Changing Eveā€™s monetisation policy from a soft lock, free to play, pay to advance subscription model to a P2E model would mean that accounts would need to be verified. Account verification via visa, ect. would kill 99% of botting in Eve dead, your average botter not willing to commit multiple counts of wire fraud to make space money.

Your average RMT site dude is firmly against P2E, think booze barons in prohbhition era, they have the monopoly and donā€™t wanna see it end.

A P2E monetisation model is needed asap, or eve is gonna lose critical mass very soon. Subscription model with account verification is also a good idea.

The main people who are against P2E are botters & RMTā€™rs.

Iā€™m against P2E because I know that CCP is going to have to turn off the PvP to not deal with all the lawsuits.

If you introduce P2E, itā€™s not just a random worthless digital asset anymore. If you introduce it and it has a specific real value (not fake digital value like an random faction mod now), it is entirely possible to imagine that someone will sue if that item loses value because other items were introduced that made this item lose value, made it worthless, made it superfluous, made it lose its previous use, had its use shifted into a less valuable use, etc. These P2E items are not just random 1s and 0s anymore but actual value assets like cars or houses or shares.

In Vegas or Pokerstars you only put in your money and you only get out money if you are lucky. You do not put in money to buy an item that was promoted and purported to be in a certain way and have a certain value.
With Pay 2 Earn, you ā€œbuyā€ an actual item like you buy a house or car or phone or TV or holiday and that gives you certain rights. If you donā€™t get them, then P2E is even more of a scam than it already is.

REDNES

2 Likes

That depends entirely on whom the digital property belongs to.

EVE, today, is just a video game. You pay for a license to play, and itā€™s a closed environment with no ability to cash out. A P2E system in EVE would more closely resemble a genuine contractual system.

Iā€™ve actually studied lawā€”you might want to brush up on tort law before you make assumptions about how this system would work. In our legal systems, the legality of an act supersedes any ā€œrulesā€ that a company can create for its product or service. This is why you canā€™t hire someone to kill your wife for $10,000, and then sue to get your money back when they fail to follow through.

After EVE goes P2E, it will be susceptible to an entirely different set of rules and regulations than it is today, as a regular video game. Intentional devaluation, as Zhalyd pointed out, is one major issue. Intentional destruction is another. At that point, consent would become a very real consideration, and someone losing 30 billion ISK in a gank would have considerable leverage in court, because the ā€œyou consent to PvP the moment you undockā€ argument would no longer hold sway, because once again, the legality of an act will supersede company rules, and violencing someoneā€™s digital investment might not be seen by the judiciary as a legitimate ā€œgamblingā€ act. After all, gambling is very heavily regulated, with a plethora of rules and regulations governing what can and canā€™t be done, and destroying someoneā€™s freighter with 50 Catalysts in a surprise attack might not be seen the same way as going all in on a poker hand.

2 Likes

No itā€™s not. If they go this route it is either:

A) Another delusional attempt by a CEO or other parts of management that has clearly lost touch with technology and somehow desperately try to make it look like their decisions still have value by trying to catch every hype train they come across. If there was actual value in this for the game it would come from the devs and the player base and not from management.

B) A desperate attempt at a last cash grab on a failing game, because what do we have to lose.

The only way to save EVE is to make it a good fun game again so people want to actually play it.

The main people who are against P2E are people who are not completely brain dead crypto-bros who eat all the web3 ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  and fall for it. P2E will never work. The game will be overrun with bots in no time and they will farm 24/7 every single thing that is worth anything and completely devalue it for the amount of work a normal player has to put it. This is so obvious, you have to be seriously dense to not see it or deliberately trolling.

3 Likes

All ready happened Captain Hindsight, CCP gave zero fā€™s till it started hammering the bottom line after the PA sale.

Eve is a Korean owned and UK based game, both nations have an entrenched gambling culture. The rest of the eve player base needs to HTFU, stfu or piss off elsewhere try, Iceland.

Stfu you Texas lawyering mong. TQ is in London, English law on gambling is well known. Stake holder beware, if you donā€™t want to stake then donā€™t.

Leave the game you manchild and go nonce around in cod with the kiddies at zero risk of gambling. Oh not loot boxes, try not to pearl clutch there too much. Eve has a 30yr+ playerbase an it is about time its Devs started to act like that. Hilmar knows whatā€™s up, thank the gods for that.

He should act before the revenue further slides.

Are you crying while writing this? Because it sounds like you are.

2 Likes