12 year absence

I was a hauler/site scanner for one of my three accounts. Been uninterested for 12 years. Joined originally in 2005. Is 12 years an indication that I’m no longer interested? Maybe, but I’m Omega as of today. I figure it’ll take me three months to figure out if I want to keep playing, what with family and work. If I wanted easy, I’d play wow. No offense. I’m looking for motivation to continue, but it’s alarming to me that I have no idea what to do now. Any suggestions? Thanks. The last big thing in Eve I remember is Bob and morhis mihi. Also wormholes were all the rage. Still a thing? I know Bob is gone, btw.

3 Likes

Things to do in EVE:
Big Honking Chart (possibly somewhat outdated)

2 Likes

Eve is in a transformative time right now. The market and industry are extremely competitive - basically to the point that there is no use even trying to compete. There are Triglavian events that seem to be the freshest content, but don’t seem to be very rewarding, either in terms of isk or story. Missions are exactly the same as they were 12 years ago, except CCP added “burner missions” aka “anomic missions” that are designed the be almost impossible to solo - so some players take great interest in fine-tuning their skills to run them.

Lowsec now has something called faction warfare, that provides a form of consentual PVP in cheap ships. Lowsec gate camps are almost nonexistent now. Pretty much all those guys left lowsec and became highsec suicide gankers. Ganking in highsec is a much bigger thing now than it was 12 years ago.

There is also something called planetary interaction that they added - it is the most boring thing you can imagine. Wormholes are fun, dangerous places where you can still make some money and maybe lose a ship, and still come out ahead.

I hope you stay. Welcome back.

3 Likes

Welcome back !
I know the feeling of returning to a game after so long. I bet you feel somewhat like a new player, what with all the changes they made… I’ve been reading posts by returning players and they seem pretty disappointed with the state EVE is in these days. Lots of changes and, often, not for the best. You’ll certainly need some time to get used to all the changes and I hope it won’t be frustrating for you.
What to do in EVE I won’t pretend to tell you. My guess is you’ll be able to chose your path just like the rest of us.

I wish you a pleasant re-discovery of the game and lots of fun! o7

2 Likes

Thanks for the reminders. I heard of faction warfare through various channels, but never joined in. Through most of my absence I read about Eve and watched videos. I sometimes found it more entertaining than playing. I know the burners, too. I think I might continue to try and profit with site scanning. Need to level up some military skills, though.
It’s a relief to hear about lowsec gate camping.

1 Like

If you think WoW is easy, then you’ve never played WoW…

1 Like

Thanks. Some responses here have already encouraged me to continue. :slight_smile: I appreciate your positivity!

2 Likes

Isn’t that the one where you play a big hairy troll with an axe, wandering through the forest?

1 Like

No offense. Maybe it didn’t suit my talents.

1 Like

Most welcome !

2 Likes

None taken.

Just that some people say this, but as a game, WoW is considerably more difficult than EVE. EVE’s difficulty comes from the pitfalls of social interaction, which some find difficult, and some thrive around.

Anyway, there are a few things you could do, and none of them involve grinding any PvE whatsoever - that’s how you’ll burn yourself out. I don’t know if it’s your preference or not, and I’m not necessarily saying “jump into PvP and do that only,” but you should seek out some kind of social experience in the game, and avoid any PvE as much as you can (if you can afford to sell PLEX, and it sounds like you can, do that instead), because it’s the most grindy it’s ever been.

1 Like

I’m sure burnout will be something I will want to avoid. Social interaction is good in a nonwork atmosphere. Will probably be lacking if I pursue site scanning. Choosing a Corp has always been a dreadful task for me. What do eve’rs use now? Ventrillo still? Teamspeak? Discord? Thanks.

1 Like

Discord is the #1 app now.

Maybe try joining a wormhole group. That will be unlike anything you remember in the game from way back.

3 Likes

Or Thera. Signal Cartel might be interesting for him.

2 Likes

At least the font is still tiny in-game. Gives me an excuse to wear my glasses.

1 Like

You can increase font size on some things via various game settings, including UI scaling and context menu font sizes. Chat channels can be adjusted on a per-channel basis.

Regarding social engagement:
How to Find the Corp that is Right for You

1 Like

2 Likes

Thanks for that.

1 Like

I came back after 5 years and found the biggest changes were that POS’s aren’t really a thing anymore – you can use them I guess but not as they used to be…and wormholes changed so that (I think) any size ship can enter if the right random entrance/exit opens up. Someone correct me if I’m wrong. I used to live in a class 1 wormhole but now they are too dangerous. Especially if you do not have a big corp.

Dray Cil

2 Likes

I don’t think you ever get capital-ship sized wandering holes into the 1-3 class holes, but I’m not positive.

2 Likes