A couple of thoughts for getting new players in

Probably slowly as the Trade Hub died relative to Jita.

I guess my question would be does the lack of local chat affect player retention?

theres practically no talk in local channels period, i sit in couster on an alt and try to engage with newbro’s in system; nothing… and theres like 80+ there.

i used to live in amarr, such a shame; lived there back when oof, dont recall his name but you would know he was online because he would /me rattles his can then start asking for donations. something kane was his name i think, long time ago now though.

A delayed constellation chat replacing local would probably provide much more engagement. Less fear of it being used as an intel tool would allow greater interacting

would prefer delayed local.

for a second i thought this was a nerf null local chat thread… its not; my bad.

I tried helping in Chaven a few times. Same result. Very few hits…

Its because they took this away.

Back when EvE was growing stuff like this was happening in the belts all the time in highsec, from the very get go many of the plexes and mechanics would involve you in things, get you making friends: or enemies, you would see people asking for help in local, and griefers bugging people.

With each patch its moved away from personal interactions on a more 1 to 1 basis into areas where it really is about multiple high sp ships; a move from wardecks to structure decks is a prime example, its not technically something someone thats recently started can get into - and even with skill injectors eve has never changed in that people, in general, ■■■■■■■ hate structure bashes.

I miss videos like this, now its all about being in a blob to wreck peoples dreams.

CCP please, not everyone want to be a sheep.

2 Likes

Given the balls people talk in ESO and WoW channels, having a version of Jita in each system would be contrary to the stated goal I fear.

But then, new players like to talk ■■■■.

1 Like

We wish you would…

An undoubtedly, undeniable, unargueable 100% Yes!
Hek’s local died through 2013 and 2014 and further, btw, thanks to CCP.
I assume that happened everywhere.

Yeah, what the old man above me says is correct!

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT HEK BACK IN 2012!

It was AWESOME! People talked literally ALL the ■■■■■■■ time! People were active on the undock, too, hell, there constantly were plenty of ships undocking! Plenty of ships stupid enough to just sit there, too! When there were times when no one was talking, ALL IT TOOK WAS GREETING THE SYSTEM AND SOMEONE RESPONDED WITHIN SECONDS!

I NEVER FELT ALONE!
NOT ONCE!

HEKAMANIA!
THE GRANDEST STAGE OF THEM ALL!
CCP KILLED IT!

I’m really angry about this. :frowning:

1 Like

What could be done to promote socialization in-game again though.

1 Like

Bring back classic can-flipping,
remove the suspect state,
default the protection button to red or wipe it entirely.

Basically undo the changes that were at the beginning of the downward spiral. The above had so much negative impact on highsec, it’s just sad. They’re not going to do that, though, because they knew exactly what these features were going to do and it was 100% intentional.

There’s more, of course. Tiny details CCP changed that caused people to interact less, gave less room for random social interactions happening and made the game as a whole feel less “real” and more “boring and generic”.

2 Likes

IMO it would be worth a topic just for discussing ways to promote beginner-centric socialization in-game.

I’d also suggest expanding the features (“classic can-flipping” etc). Or link to UniWiki if they explain it.

For example I think I’ve been subject to “can-flipping” a couple of times, but either I never figured out what was going on, or I’ve forgotten.

Classic can-flipping.

You sit at a belt, mining into your jetcan.
Someone comes, takes your stuff.
Now he’s flagged for the jetcanminers’ corp to be shot at.
He drops a new can with the miners’ stuff in it.
The miner grabs the stuff.
Now the miner’s flagged to be shot at.
Done.

Alternatively the miner just started shooting the thief, with the same end result.

Being only flagged against a corp/single guy was ultimately much better compared to being flagged for everyone, literally forcing new players to stay docked for 15min because they have no ■■■■■■■ clue how to deal with this clusterfuck of a situation.

Which is exactly why CCP implemented it that way.

2 Likes

alternatively.

In warps our gang because we were baiting!!!

in warps their reinforcements… oo errr…

We had a few wars through this, made many freinds; was fun.

I think so too, suspect baiting now especially with neutral logi gone is, i imagine, prett damn limited.

Not that there wasnt an issue with neutral logi but i dont think barring it completely really was a good choice. (just an easy one)

Not sure we’re talking about the same things.

The suspect mechanic is a psychological deterrent, just like the protection button. It keeps new players from doing things they have been doing since the game started, because HOLY ■■■■ EVERYONE CAN SHOOT ME FOR FIFTEEN MINUTES HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO BE HAVING FUN THAT WAY.

The protection button is more of a “well, this is set to green by default so I guess I shouldn’t be doing [whatever needs yellow/red]”.

The sad part is the huge amount of morons, older players, who are too selfish to see that these changes, ultimately, hurt everyone even though they might like them. Worse, the people who defend the button because “it’s too hard to pay enough attention to not make a mistake”.

■■■■ those guys, seriously. This game was much better off when Darwinism truly ruled and CCP didn’t touch our children.

2 Likes

Blahblahblah

This is a classic example of how the CCP has twisted itself into its own overcomplicated rules and made Eve unattractive to the vast majority of players :frowning:

At the time im not sure i recall how i felt about the changes though of course not being able to add people to seeif they were onine (hunting for wartargets) would probably have come up as undesirable.