A couple of thoughts for getting new players in

I would have loaded even more and only the combat capital skill books, because by definition they are used outside of hisec.

Some people have suggested this in the past, though some skills are general, it could work with skills that are specific to activity. I have nothing against it as perhaps an additional boost to learning.

Eve isn’t harder it’s easier what you on about?

In RPG’s you get a little XP for the winter season, then more if you are out adventuring. Is that what you mean?

I like the idea of the fleet finder. That could help a lot with new players.

No.

Right now you’re waiting on a timer to complete your queued skills.

Instead it will be changed so your queued skills earn skill points over time. Or you just earn skill points over time without skills queued, since it’s the same thing.

Sorry for the seven edits, wanted to make sure it was straightforward enough to understand.

Taloris

A few weeks ago I looked through the Corp recruitment forum a couple of times, wondering if there was a Corp that I would consider joining.

One that openly offered what you describe (using me as cheap labor, but not as a slave) would have caught my eye. I might even have joined if I found one that seemed serious - something like a specialized Corp within an alliance optimized for new players, perhaps even with some new-player support.

It’s boring reading, so I gave up fast, but I didn’t see anything I could easily distinguish from lying slavers. IMO it’s not worth the effort. If I was already committed to playing EVE it would be worth the time, but that’s the chicken/egg problem :slight_smile:

This could work a lot better, but Corps don’t seem to be good at dealing with new players. The reverse is certainly also true, but that’s to be expected.

This could be greatly simplified by something as cheap as a “template” corp setup, with an explanation of what everything means designed to make checking easy for new players.

1 Like

That and a clean up of corp recruiting ads in-game like it was suggested by the CSM.

We could do with knowing CCPs extent of changes they can do without breaking the game.

I had worded the system to be changed ( I clarified later on) because it’s identical to the same way Blizzard approached the XP system and how rested XP became a thing. There was no actual change to the system - you still earn skill points over time in both systems. The only difference is instead of a timer counting down you’re seeing your skill points go up.

Edit: This is why I bring up perception, and why I brought it up in the now locked thread. People aren’t going to want to be in a situation where they feel as though things are not fair, despite being very much fair.

It is, by all means, a hobby that takes a significant amount of time. Your assumption that EVE is about fun is wrong, because EVE has never been about fun, it always has been about satisfaction. Long term goals, not short time distraction.

The only ones who believe it’s about fun are exactly those the game needs to least. They contribute barely anything, just jump in at a ping or event, then leave again when they’re done. They’re like cattle who only exist for others to eat. Partly necessary, sure, but absolutely not a defining element of the experience as a whole.

More for you to learn:

Most people who only care about fun are low quality players who treat EVE as a collection of minigames. They’re not worth getting into the game. The same goes for all those low income/low education people who, in no way or form, ever had a long term goal in their whole ■■■■■■■ life.

You want those people in the game. For someone who claims to be “pretty solid on psychology” I suggest you take time to think about why these people are, in no way or form, fit for EVE ONLINE.

Seriously, despite you probably not being a moron you really need to learn to shut up and start looking for evidence that you might not actually have any actual clue what the ■■■■ you are talking about. You’re insulting not only yourself, but also everyone else who has a better grasp of this topic.

Some of us spent literally years studying this, analysing the problem, widening the scope of what it takes to solve it. You certainly didn’t. You’r taking this tiny, tiny part of the equation and believe that you can solve even just a part of the problems without actually understanding how ■■■■■■ up your “solution” actually is.

:roll_eyes:

@Solecist_Project
I think this should say enough.
Just recently made an edit to include a post of theirs not much longer after I made the post.

“Your published facts disagree with my unsupported opinion, therefore they are all incorrect.”

That’s the level of discussion you are on. The link I provided gave international ‘Purchasing Power Parity’ as well as wages. I also pointed that out in my post. The ‘Mirror’ link you provided is a one-shot survey, conducted by a savings benefits company, which happens to highlight specifically the benefits of salary-linked savings among a subsector of the working class (2,000 people) in a single country. And reported in a tabloid.

Apparently my facts on the decrease in the cost of ships, the increase in ISK generation game-wide, the cost-recovery time of ratting in Null, and various other points are ‘all incorrect’ according to you, except that you provide no counter-facts other than, again, your unsupported opinion.

Your thread isn’t about getting new players in, it isn’t about facts, it isn’t about discussion. It’s about “please make wealthy people in the game have less wealth, and please make me have more wealth, and I don’t care to hear about anything that shows this is the wrong way to do things”.

I consider this fun, as I like a challenge ( I was an engineer before my injuries ), but… We’re short on people to shoot. The ‘get gud’ meta did not provide.

The presentation talks about ‘fleet is fun’. I agree. Training people up also helps. But… As I said, it takes a special type of kinky to play a game as demanding as EVE can be.

A compromise may see more people willing to do the pew-pews and the mega-long trains.

Instead of going to the Warhamster universe ( for example ).

Marketing, they haven’t done real marketing in a very long time. CCP needs to market the game - Advertise, I really dont know what people expect trying to get more players in the game when the company doesnt advertise the game at all. Gotta get the name out there.

The UK is running out of cash to spend. This is a real phenomena.

So you either chase rich-kids ( who aren’t as common as some would like to believe ), or you adjust the game to aim for a bigger slice of the pie ( poorer kids, who would benefit from the education EVE gives ).

That’s the reality in my country at least.

Solecist

I think you’re defining “fun” in an overly narrow way - as though the only kind of fun is the “immediate rewards” type (like eating chocolate).

Adult humans are a little smarter than that. A lot of hobbies (not just games) involve a significant investment in effort before the objective is reached, and many require some boring work and/or minor unpleasantness along the way. E.g. lifting weights (no pain no gain) for physical condition. Similar things apply to thousands of hobbies/activities, not all of them involving physical training.

I think the main message, that EVE is most suitable for people who play it for the long haul, makes sense. But IMO the way you contrast it with other things is a bit simplistic (not many will actually object to a claim like “EVE’s not Candy Crush” :slight_smile:

But fun / not fun is the individual’s choice and personal decision. It doesn’t seem reasonable to criticize the “fun per time unit” idea without putting it into a reasonable context.

And when part of the context is attracting new players, I think it’s only reasonable for beginners to expect to enjoy playing during the interval before they know enough to establish long-term goals.

1 Like

No, it’s an opinion, you keep repeating, without any facts to back it up. Even the poll you linked shows UK working class people are spending on hobbies, sports, eating out, entertainment… over £100 per month on those categories, over £200 on ‘luxuries’ all told. That study also does not say whether the amount is going up or down, just what it was at the time of the poll. A very limited poll.

Maybe you are running out of cash to spend. The article you linked points out that many Brits know they would benefit more from proper budgeting, but they fail to do so - perhaps it would help you.

And again, none of that has anything to do with getting new players in. Blowing up Jita? Making wealthy players rebuild? All you are doing here is repeating an agenda that says “I don’t like it that other people have more wealth than me.”

When you start talking about actual things that apply to new players, and not about your wealth-envy, people might start listening.

1 Like

Dude, seriously … :roll_eyes:

“EVE ONLINE is the game I love to hear about, but would never play.”

EVE ONLINE’s in all kind of media literally every other week. It’s marketted with youtube video ads, website ads, interviews, articles in real life newspapers like the New York ■■■■■■■ Times next to others. It even was presented in the Museum of Modern ■■■■■■■ Arts.

There’s multiple dozens of scientific papers written about it as well.

Enough people know about this game.

Текст на другом языке

Вы говорите:

EVE Online - игра песочица.

Но сейчас, когда приходишь в этот мир, все песчаные замки уже построены. В закрытой системе песок не бесконечен.
Людей привлекает возможность создавать и изменять, оказывать влияние на события или быть частью больших изменений. Но игра более статична, чем может показаться. Конечно, кому то понравиться идея ждать несколько месяцев, что-бы изучить необходимые навыки. И иметь возможность захватить систему, устанавлить свои цены на рынке или хотя бы быстро выкопать пояс астеройдов.
Возможно переосмысливание старых механик и добавление новых привлекут людей. Но все равно это общие слова.

Google Translate:
You say:

EVE is a sandbox game.

But now, when you come to this world, all sand castles are already built. In a closed system, the sand is not infinite.
People are attracted by the ability to create and change, influence events, or be part of big changes. But the game is more static than it might seem. Of course, someone will like the idea of ​​waiting a few months to learn the necessary skills. And to be able to capture the system, set their prices on the market, or at least quickly dig up the asteroid belt.
Perhaps rethinking the old mechanic and adding new ones will attract people. But still these are common words.

1 Like

We have thousands of new characters started each day. I don’t think it’s the advertisement of the game.

Maybe it’s not managing expectations very well because of how many players leave after a few hours. And many players come here expecting wow in space or a casual game and get a shock. Take op for a prime example.

OP is obviously not an EVE beginner.

Expectations are certainly an issue though. The “New Pilot FAQ” might as well be describing a different game.