A couple of thoughts for getting new players in

To quote you "Dude, seriously… :roll_eyes: " It’s not. I havent seen real life news articles in a while and the ones I’ve seen in the past arent exactly high up in the list. What ads I have seen are only targeted towards me specifically as I already play and the only other ones I have seen are on like pcgamer which isnt really enough of a spread. You’re wrong.

1 Like

Sure, genius, whatever you say.

Im a really big fan of natural dangers. I’d even like to add stuff like this to mining mechanics, so you cant afk. I purposed the idea that clouds are drifting naturally through space, and if they beams touch one, they will blow up doing aoe damage. f you make the explosions very large radius’s like 500k, then you can potentially force them to move.

nebula’s in eve are highly optimized, but to have something like the real ones in eve would be great, if it was not so laggy. I would also advocate, that ships should be immune to probes, and dscan if they are in them but provide some sort of other mechanic, like - 25% speed, and no shields. The effects of the nebula’s could even be set up to be different so that some clouds favor shield uses other armor, other speed tanks.

this could be a huge game changer for null pvp tactics.

Thanks, I knew you’d see it my way :wink:

I do think for new players there’s a lot of waiting for fairly basic skills. I can understand a long wait time before someone can fly a carrier effectively, but why do I have to wait nearly a week to equip a T2 small pulse laser? And what about if I want to do T2 small beam lasers? And T2 light drones? It takes weeks of waiting for a new player before they can fit these ubiquitous modules.

Maybe, to help new players with wait, they can be rewarded with tiny skill injectors meant to cut down training time on these basic skills based on activity. There’s already an activity tracker in game. Maybe you can get a few thousand skill points for achieving tracker benchmarks? Veteran players can get these as well but tiny sp boosts mean more to new accounts. Just an idea.

Setting aside that a week is not a particularly long wait (oh, how I wish to only wait a week for a skill again…) a lot of this comes down to pacing and incremental improvement. One of my favorite parts of the game is to watch things get incrementally better- a skill here, a new module there, adjusting a fit as I learn more, etc. It’s all about pacing of the game- EVE is not intended to be fast, it’s a long road that should be enjoyed. I enjoy waiting and the anticipation of something waiting for me down the road.

As for the specific comments about the modules, it’s not quite that bleak. Meta modules can be pretty great if used properly and in some cases can outshine the T2 variants in some circumstances. Heck, I still prefer some faction or meta modules over the T2 variants for some applications.

But ultimately, this gets into setting of expectations and helping players understand all of this as early as possible. Some of it’s perception, some of it is the philosophy of the game- and that’s not going to appeal to everybody. But then again, that’s not such a bad thing…

2 Likes

You’re missing the point I was trying to express with the suggested hypothetical change to the skill queue.

The change is only words and at most a change in what’s displayed in the queue sheet. The system itself has no change.

Or just make it simpler.

EVE has too many variants of everything. It doesn’t add anything to the game for a beginner, but it makes things that should be simple unnecessarily complicated.

IMO there’s a relatively easy way to address most of the game-related issues that constrain new players. It’s an “elephant in the room” though, and I’m not going to be the first to suggest it.

The other really big problem is EVE’s experienced players.

They are what stand between new players and social integration, which is, IMO, the biggest single problem. It’s unfortunate, because while EVE has an extremely high proportion of the worst people in gaming, it also has some of the best - but it’s not possible for a new player to distinguish between them.

Alot of these players want a game without other players to interact with that’s why they fail and quit not because older players do mean things to them

Not entirely true.

You have those that do exactly that, and you have others that just get more alts.

As it’s been expressed though, there’s multiple reasons for any one person might stop playing.

This is just part of the “bittervet narrative”, ‘poisoning the well’ to control the dialog.

EVE promises solo play, so some people join assuming it’s practical for beginners. They’ve been cheated of their time. OTOH CCPs advertising is no less honest than anyone else’s.

But most people expect a exploration/combat game, and make the usual assumption for MMO’s - that they’ll get a fair chance to learn the game and set up the basic “player infrastructure” (e.g. income, wealth, equipment, SP, contacts).

They don’t expect to find experienced players (or P2W costs) between them and every aspect of the game.

1 Like

You can get far as a new player it’s just there’s alot of lazy dumb players out there so the game’s harsher environment weeds them out

1 Like

I disagree. The sheer complexity of the game is precisely what appealed to me when I was starting out. I looked at it and thought that this was something that was going to keep me engaged, challenged, and learning for months or years to come, and that really spoke to me. The first time I tried, it was too much and I left, but I came back because there was always something I really liked about that depth and complexity.

If you take some other game known for extreme challenges, like Dark Souls for example, that has no appeal to me because I don’t like that style of challenge. But I accept that and move on to other things. Nothing wrong with that.

As I’ve said in other posts, there is a difference between bad complexity due to lousy UI and mechanics and what I see as good complexity due to design choices. Shakespere vs. Dilbert. Both absolutely have their place and are wonderful, but they are inherently different.

This I think is indeed an issue, and I would love to see more done to get new players off-boarded from the NPE into more supportive and healthy social structures and groups.

2 Likes

‘‘Oooh think of the new players’’ ■■■■■■■■ when I began you’d get can baited and poped outside rookie station we got no tutorial no venture no free stuff just got thrown out there to go figure it out.Almost any corp you’d join got war deced and every mining op had to deal with potential can flippers.How do you explain so many of us survived the game and thrived.
EVE had more players then without f2p it was sub only also

5 Likes

This is just the usual ■■■■■■■■ she tries to frame as something that it isn’t, because elena doesn’t accept anything that goes against her narrative.

Other ■■■■■■■■ she uses includes “EVE crypto speech”, deliberately ignoring that societies and cultures all develop their own languages, memes and metaphors.

2 Likes

More from the “bittervet narrative” /sigh.

EVE players really want to think they’re special, but overall it’s a low-risk, low-combat game with the easiest resource gathering in gaming (unless maybe “My Little Pony Online” exists and has resource gathering?) …

… except for new players that is.

The game is much more difficult for new players than for the bittervets who enjoy criticizing them.

Not sure if you meant to reply to me or not…

You played the game you were given under the conditions that you had. More power to you.

Literally all I said there was that it would be nice to help new players find corps and a more meaningful way to play the game then “Death by Solo PVE” if they don’t happen to know somebody already. Is that really that controversial?

And she copies my classic style, which I find hilarious. :blush:

We were all new players once don’t forget.
We had to train training skills back then there were no ore holds you mined in a t1 frig or cruiser into a can alot of people flipped your cans to get an engagement flag on you,we got no free sp or guidance

2 Likes

Do you think when they invented the polio vaccine in the 60s there were people who were upset young kids would have it too easy?