A letter from me, to CCP

I would challenge this argument’s claim that people quit the game due to new player’s perceptions of it being “pay2win”.

My two cents here, are that (1) we probably don’t need such players in this game if they can’t handle what EVE Online is all about, and (2) despite this argument, the number of players in EVE has been doing pretty alright. Between the number of older players leaving the game and newer players coming in, I don’t think the perception of “pay2win” (which EVE really isn’t) is that impactful when it comes to new players stopping.

https://eve-offline.net/?server=tranquility

Scoots

As soon as a player figures out the SP system they’ll see the Pay2gain aspect of EVE.

Some don’t mind. Some definitely will though.

Hard to quantify the effect. The old SP system was a problem. Paying a lot of money up-front to avoid it to avoid it is also a problem.

On balance I think it means fewer players, but perhaps more income for CCP via PLEX4cash purchases. But AFAIK there’s no way to quantify it.

I don’t believe we will be missing out on the people who quit because they mistakenly believe the game is “pay2gain” (whatever this phrase is supposed to mean).

Eve demands a certain about of tenacity and if you don’t have it maybe the game is not for you. And that’s fine. The game is very unique and we don’t need it to become the next World of Warcraft.

2 Likes

You would not miss anybody … but Hilmar and 300 employee in Reykjavik will miss every lost subscriber :money_with_wings:

“pay2gain” because there’s a set of people who waste time equivocating: "you can’t win EVE so you can’t say ‘pay to win’. As if there are any MMO’s you can win. They’re all different varieties of hamster wheel.

Similarly the claim about tenacity is just part of the false myth. Every MMO I’ve ever heard of was designed to be played for years. And all the MMO forums are full of people claiming they are important because they’ve played for a exceptionally long time. EVE isn’t exceptional in this respect.

CCP wants more paying customers. They think their new player retention rate is lower than it could be. And of course they’re right on both points.

So it’s interesting to consider the effect of different factors that affect new players’ decision on whether to stay or leave EVE.

It’s long past the time for claiming about how EVE players need to go through a tough selection process before they can start to play. I doubt it was ever true, but right now it’s definitely hypocrisy. For well established players EVE is an easy game. free to play, easy income, low effort, consensual PvP.

But that’s not how it works. A player who comes to the game and initially subscribes, but later quits the game because they can’t handle what EVE demands of them is not really worth much.

Does it suck? Sure, we miss out on another player. Does it matter though? Probably not.

We don’t need more people coming into EVE with the expectation that the game will cater to their specific playstyles, and then demand that the game change when they realize that the game is harder than they initially believed.

We have enough people coming into the game who never leave highsec, who spend all day mining idly, get ganked, and then cry to high heaven about how the game is unfair to them. There are people who have only played a tiny and insignificant portion of the game, and then demanding that CCP redesign the whole game to fit their tiny close minded view. I don’t believe we need more of these players.

1 Like

So what is stopping you from becoming a “well established player” like you describe? I am interpreting this as “good players who are able to develop their skillsets at the game” and not “people asking CCP for handouts”.

Am I missing something here?

2 Likes

Why do you care? You dont even like the game to the extent of wanting it changed into a different game.

I’m stopped by the factors that discourage new players from continuing.

The path towards wealth and idleness starts out slow and boring, and reaching the endpoint (any endpoint where I’d be competitive) takes too long. Worse, right now I can’t see any interesting “endpoint”.

I know how to make it interesting for me (and probably many others), but it won’t happen via these forums.

I just practice on CCP his own medicine and enjoy in it :blush:

Thank you for this. Would you mind explaining a bit more? Any specifics would help, because I would be better able to get a grasp of the challenges that you are facing.

This is true for many games and EVE Online is not different. Players have to slowly develop and grow over time. I’m sorry you find this grow “boring”, but perhaps you can try to find a more enjoyable activity in the game while you train your skills? EVE as a sandbox offers a TON of activities that you can engage it. It really just asks that you be brave enough to step out of your comfort zone.

She’s consumed by her hate and needs to post to make that feeling of inferiority go away. If you notice the continuous “smug” in her posts, then you know what I’m talking about.

Like, seriously, no one in his right mind would actually believe that posting on the forum in any way or form makes anyone at CCP care at all … which means this person isn’t quite right in her mind.

You know the idiots who keep talking ■■■■ until you smack them, causing them to break down in tears?

That’s one of them.

2 Likes

CCP has shown many times that they are receptive to player feedback, whether it be in-game, on the forums, or other social media. But the requirement is that the feedback be well founded, and if making a claim, also be well supported.

Many of the claims here are just angry reactionary cries of how the game is unfair, despite that being one of the main key features of the game itself.

Then helping it go down the toilet would get you your enjoyment more, wouldnt it?

So… when you suggest ways for CCP to get more customers, you are lying, by your own logic?

HTFU :blush:

Scoots

I came to the forums (yet again) to find out if EVE is evolving towards the game I’d like to play. I’ve found that CCP has finally established some rational objectives and started to look at the issues, but doesn’t have a plan.

Frankly I’m still here (though not for much longer) because I enjoy the discussions of which interpretation of “EVE players are special” applies :slight_smile: This is also why I have a few in-forum stalkers.

I’ve tried most low-level player activities. A few things I should have done were just too much hassle (usually for stupid reasons). All the low-level ways to earn ISK were boring and/or inefficient - again, usually for stupid reasons.

The next time I spend a significant amount of time playing EVE, it will be a game that CCP is actively trying to improve in ways that suit me, and have made some successful changes.

But it’s a lot to hope for - I’ll be astonished of it ever happens :slight_smile:

1 Like

But have you tried and high-level player activities?

And sure, if I’m proven wrong, I’d be interested to know. Please follow up with me in 2 years time and let me know if your vision has come to fruition. Last time I checked, just saying something many times doesn’t actually make it true.

Scoots

No high-end activities. I get bored, or run into too many things I won’t do on principle, and stop playing before I get set up.

IIRC Elena here dates from my third set of EVE trials. My last started two weeks before Alphas were released. This time I only logged on to see if I had any PLEX (150 that used to be something else (Aurum?).

Not sure about your last comment. Either CCPs plan for EVE suits me or it doesn’t. I’ll keep checking.

BTW: it won’t be easy for CCP. They’ve spent years making a mistake I’ve seen before: listening only to their most committed existing customers, and ignoring prospective customers. In my experience it’s a very difficult habit to break.

I find it difficult to take your overall approach and suggestions to EVE Online seriously if you have actively gone out of your way to avoid engaging in anything other than low end activities “on principle”.

I don’t quite care how long ago you played the game. Playing the game for a long time does not translate to any real knowledge or skills in the game. How am I to take your word seriously if, despite all this time, you’ve not engaged in high-end activities? Why should I believe the opinions of a player who has never played beyond low-end activities?

If my comment comes across as me having lost a tremendous amount of respect for you, that is because I have. I wish you good luck in your future activities, especially if this close-mindedness is how you even approach a simple video game.

1 Like

That doesnt work. Its not a case of hardening up, its a case of you either want CCP (and EvE) to go away or you want them to stick around.

Which is it?

If its neither, then you really are just trolling.