A Solution to the Generational Slavery Question

Thank you for proving my point.

3 Likes

ā€œSlavery is, in the strictest sense of the term, any system in which principles of property law are applied to people, allowing individuals to own, buy and sell other individuals, as a de jure form of property.ā€

Iā€™m pretty sure thereā€™s a certain argument to be put forwards that they are, in fact, enslaved.
Rise up, free the Caldari.

2 Likes

Well, when you put it like thatā€¦

2 Likes

Wait what?

Ms. Ember ā€¦ um. Very respectfully, you may have been talking to a lot of Gallente lately.

Human beings are one of the very few things in the State to which principles of property law donā€™t apply. You can talk about deep, indoctrinated loyalty and ā€œwage slavery,ā€ but itā€™s really not the same thing. Human beings in the State are not bought or sold; even the casteless who otherwise live outside the law and have no legal rights canā€™t be treated that way (and thereā€™s not a lot youā€™re not allowed to do to them).

The Caldari as a people are pretty sensitive about this issue. Being here in the Empire, and seeing the genuine article in use around me ā€¦ I guess, maybe Iā€™m a little sensitive about it too. Maybe thatā€™s why strange edge cases like poor Veik kind of make me twitch.

Anyway, as a general rule slavery is one thing the Caldari donā€™t do to each other. They take a lot of pride in it, so, itā€™s something youā€™re sticking your thumb kind of directly in their eye if you claim they do.

2 Likes

Iā€™m going to have to give you a few lessons in how to tell when Iā€™m being serious. You genuinely seem to struggle to interpret me. Iā€™m not entirely certain why this is.

2 Likes

???

ā€¦ Youā€™ve highlighted it and I still donā€™t see how I was supposed to know you were joking. Itā€™s not like nobodyā€™s ever said such things earnestly.

1 Like

Well, Miss Jenneth. Miss Ember isnā€™t talking serious because she thinks Iā€™m an idiot and has to dumb down her words to match me in wit. She does that all the time!

Jokeā€™s on her really. Iā€™m not dumb, just insane.

3 Likes

I believe, if you read these boards in their entirety, the joke is on all of us.

2 Likes

I know! And itā€™s hilarious!

2 Likes

Or at least dumb enough to think youā€™re insane. None of your behavior indicates any disorders, just childishness and low wit.

5 Likes

I think slavery is a very tricky topic.

2 Likes

Only if youā€™re trying to justify it. If youā€™re not trying to justify it, then itā€™s morally wrong and shouldnā€™t be tolerated.

2 Likes

Youā€™re really latching on to me Miss Arrendis! Is my natural charm getting to you?

Loyalty is not slavery.

2 Likes

Being a TCMC-loaded puppet gets a little arguable, though, Veik. Say hi to your ā€œfatherā€ for me?

2 Likes

Is that the, thereā€™s nanites in the hydrostatic fluid, and Sanshaā€™s Nation also use nanites. Therefore, all capsuleers are in Nation line of reasoning?

2 Likes

Itā€™s the ā€œhe showed me your body in a box and explained to me that your personality is something he reconstructed out of his own memories, plus I guess a few things he just decided to toss inā€ reasoning. At the time he said youā€™d become ā€œunstableā€ and needed to be retired. I guess heā€™s satisfied with the repairs?

(Seriously, I donā€™t know whether he was telling me the truth but your existence is such a hall of mirrors and smoke that I no longer expect to be able to parse truth from just another layer of lies. Iā€™m really just at the point of putting a label on the whole nasty business and letting it stand as a warning to all: ā€œThe Amazing Kurovassiā€™s House of Illusions - Enter at Your Own Risk.ā€)

3 Likes

Iā€™m Caldari. Given that, I would hardly consider you one to be surprised. For example, go do some digging on Otro Gariushi and youā€™ll find some strong implications he was not your typical up and coming mundane management type but actually someone else who did some shady deals with the Gurista out in Pure Blind. It might be slander from another Megacorporation, or it might even be the truth from Otro Gariushi designed to look like slander and thus dismissed out in the open.

Such are the games to be played in the State, whether in public theatre or private scenes. Thatā€™s the nature of corporate competition.

2 Likes

The Caldari State is based on a lot of curious things. An overarching culture of mendacity doesnā€™t strike me as being one to an unusual degree.

Everyone has and wears masks, but yours seem to just cover additional masks-- and your ā€œfatherā€ gave me reason to believe that, to a really remarkable degree, you are a lie. Meritocratically speaking, youā€™re top class for sheer volume of illusions.

Well done, I guess?

Only, I know about it, and others know about it, and right now if you told me Caldari space was blue Iā€™d want to double check for myself. So, maybe not so much.

1 Like

Itā€™s not mendacity, itā€™s maintaining good habits if you ever have to navigate corporate politics, and even when you donā€™t, those habits die hard.

Because those people who get tossed in that end of the State pool donā€™t tend to survive long by wearing their hearts on their sleeve. Just look at Heth for a case study in being too inept by constantly telegraphing their own intentions for anyone else to plan against. In the end, he just was not cunning and ruthless enough to survive, and if a corporate leader canā€™t keep themselves alive how can they do the same for those they might have to lead?

Paranoia has kept me alive all these years, Iā€™m hardly one to stop now.

Besides, thereā€™s always those amusing moments when knowing others think they know youā€™re always a liar and you tell them honestly thereā€™s a cliff in front of them and they jump off just to make sure Iā€™m telling the truth.

2 Likes