(Actually) Interesting Ideas for Ending the Amarr-Minmatar Conflict

Now why did you not just say all of this in the first place? Now we can actually talk now that I understand where you are coming from.

Of course trust is the first issue we must overcome, but the sad fact of the matter is that this is the one thing that is the most difficult to overcome, and the most out of our hands. It will take time, patience, and failing that, deals that are so mutually beneficial it would be stupid to back-stab the other. If one does not believe their trading partner is trustworthy on their own merits, you can craft the deal so that it would be idiocy not to abide by it.

But for personal trust, I can personally promise I will never participate in a slave raid, but I cannot control what non-state actors do, just as you have no control over Minmatar Fleet raids into the Empire. In fact, we cannot even control what state actors do either, aside from propose what ought to be done. I recognize reality, but the point of this discussion was to bring us closer together through the talk, not our actual nations, except in the most ambitious of projections.

Relax and letā€™s just have a talk. We are not actually laying out terms to be bound by, we are talking. We should be setting an example for our offical leaders, not destroying the very prospect of dialogue.

Iā€™ve admitted illegal slave raids happen. Iā€™ve admitted they are wrong. Iā€™ve laid out what we actually have evidence for as to the culprits and motives - dishonest Holders looking to make a quick credit, greedy or ambitious Navy commanders in dereliction of duty, and the occasional provocateur hoping to actually begin a shooting war so that the Reclaiming of old can start afresh. There is no evidence whatsoever of higher officials ordering the raids, or an official policy of any major institution to carry them out. The truth is that these renegade raids are far less frequent than pirate raids in any of the Big Four, and are within manageable levels. If this were not true, Imperial slavers would be far busier than their visibly dying breed would suggest:

Since the inception of CONCORD, the position of slaver has slowly decreased in desirability. The Empire has mostly ceased making slaves of civilian populations, leaving slavers with little to do. The majority of slaves taken in the Empire are now either POWs or criminals.[13] Though still considered a prestigious appointment, the task has little opportunities for profit. Fewer and fewer nobles have taken up the task in recent years, though the Elder Invasion and resumption of hostilities between the Empire and Republic has given slavers hope that they will soon be turned on the populations of occupied worlds. Source: http://wiki.eve-inspiracy.com/index.php?title=Slavery#Slavers

The institution of slave-taking is in strong decline. The only thing that could actually hope to rekindle it is an intensification of hostilities. We are STILL refraining from slaving in occupied Minmatar systems, and while there are certainly raids that still occur, the vast majority of the Imperial Navy and 24th Imperial Crusades abides by the true policy of not taking slaves. You are making a mountain out of a molehill and things could be far worse if we were actually intent on enslaving more.

Yet you deny all of this, say I am being naive or dishonest because I do not believe the same conspiracy theory you do.

I am not in denial, you are in delusion.

He did the job for me. Well, for the most part. He doesnā€™t believe in peace between the Empire and Republic, but he presented his case and left it at that.

@Deitra_Vess @Elmund_Egivand I apologize to both of you for not having yet responded to you directly yet. You both have set forth thoughtful and workable pieces worthy of attention, and I have been remiss in not addressing them yet. My next posts will concentrate on what you have said.

1 Like

This, and and other statements, show that you are subscribing to a straw man version of secularism. Itā€™s not to deny God, itā€™s recognizing that other faith cultures exist in a pluralistic society. Keeping religion out of government ensures that on religious group doesnā€™t have political power over other faith groups.

Outside of church, you may live an atheistā€™s life if you choose.

How many atheists do you know and how they live their lives? Do you need an atheist friend? Should we be friends?

A theocratic government is one that is enlightened and beholden to moral teachings.

I respectufully disagree.

It is part of the Reclaiming, as I mentioned in my list of the key most important aspects of the Reclaiming in an earlier reply to you.

Sure, Iā€™ll review it. If itā€™s the most important aspect of Reclaiming though can it be distilled down to that, or is that my ignorance showing again?

So if faith is transendental development, why is belief required? What I mean, is it possible to have transendental development, and therefore faith, without any conscious effort on a personā€™s part?

1 Like

Completely reasonable and understandable. Looking at it from our perspective as well, the missionaries and adherents would need protection and visibility should they come under attack or be abandoned by their protectors. Things would have to begin slow, small, and gentle. And by begin, I mean this would be the state of affairs for centuries to come.

As for NGO status, most Amarr missions in the Gallente Federation have this status with little problems. The Federation regulates and observes them, of course, but what I mean is that the missions should not have direct communication or funding from state officials. Most report to their specific denomination within the church, and are funded by donations granted specifically for their mission, or to that larger church body.

We do not intend to implant spies or provocateurs in your territory, and the model followed by the Federation is a decent one.

Cultural exchange coming towards the Empire is a sticky issue, and not one most here are willing to consider. The main hindrance for any sort of trade with the Empire is the concern of cultural contamination from the outside. I personally believe Amarr culture is superior enough to remain steadfast in the face of it, but others are more nervous. I believe if cultural exchange were to be two-way, it would have to begin small, likely in Tash-Murkon space. This seems to be less feasible, however.

This is true, and if the emancipation is a slow enough trickle, the Republicā€™s policy of accepting any Minmatar should still stand well. The details can be hashed out, but the principle is that it should be easy for Minmatar to pass between the Empire and Republic with relative ease, barring security concerns. We obviously do not want terrorists, while you do not want crusading zealots. Those sorts should not bar refugees and hopeful migrants, however.

I admit that I worded this poorly. What I meant was more akin to an investment scheme, open to the prospect of return. Charities can also be opened to aid new freedmen in the Empire find their place - I hear Gallente love donating to vulnerable peoples.

1 Like

Why is that a good thing? Why would we want a pluralistic society? That is tantamount to declaring that those faiths are of equal validity to Amarr, when they are not. Our duty is to convert followers of those faiths, and we fail that duty by permitting their existence. And it would open the gates for them to convert Amarr away from the Rite.

The Rite governs how we live our lives. In all aspects of our lives. It is not voluntary. A person should not get to pick and choose whether they want to follow Amarr or to follow some other faith or no faith at all. Not in Amarr, of all places.

I have several atheist friends.

No, it cannot. It is both. The enemies of the inside have to be controlled, and the enemies of the outside defeated. Reclaim our souls, and Reclaim the souls of others. Betraying this command is not only a betrayal of God, but a betrayal of all those souls we would condemn to damnation through our apathy.

Sure. But the structure of faith, and living in a faithful society, provides greater encouragement and opportunities to cultivate your spirit. Good people can exist in secular or atheist nations, but it is in spite of their environment. They are surrounded by people who put more value in material pursuits instead of spiritual ones. Material societies encourage material pursuits.

1 Like

Iā€™ll admit, I am not exactly familiar with how it is actually conducted in the Gallante Federation. From my own experience I would simply assume either it was some random zealot or simply put, some homegrown Amarrian convert. Do bare in mind my experience is more less from living on a back woods planet for lack of better words.

Personally I find it funny that such a thing would be a fear of anyone of Matari heritage. Those who are true wouldnā€™t be phased, if they werenā€™t then that is what they wish. Thinking they donā€™t have the option to convert to the Amarr religion would be rather hypocritical. Freedom of choice, the thing we fight for when it comes down to it. If the Amarr were in fact culturally superior, I donā€™t understand why that would even be a threat. Take that as you will, but know I mean no offense.

Criminality obviously should have a part in this screening. To put it bluntly, The Gallante has their limits on us and we have our limits on them. I donā€™t see why any other agreements should be different from that of the one with our long time allies.

I honestly kinda assumed as much. I donā€™t disagree with the charity and ya, some peoples just need to prove their worth in life with some charity. Whether they are simply trying to hold appearances or not is another story, lets not go there. I do feel we should have some positive effect on our own whether they choose to remain in Amarr territory or not. Holders, not so much unless it truly is simply helping to create work for our kin. Any ideas on how to enforce such a thing? I donā€™t believe anyones word would suffice on this, even with time.

2 Likes

I did! In fact, it was precisely the note I closed on in order to give it the strongest note on response:

I can go into the Republic and get hired to stop a dozen of these raids every single day. Iā€™ll destroy twenty to thirty ships in the process. 10,000 ships a month for one capsuleer is ā€˜manageableā€™? Thatā€™s just the actions of some dishonest Holders and greedy Navy officers? Thatā€™s a heck of a lot of dishonest Holders and greedy officers. Again, it points to either systemic approval of these actions, or system incompetence in enforcing your own laws.

Thatā€™s why I say youā€™re in denial. You admit they happen. You admit theyā€™re wrongā€¦ but youā€™re clearly in denial about the scope of the raids and what that scope indicates. But back to the issue of ā€˜having a talkā€™.

Hereā€™s what needs to happen:

End slavery.

If the Empire ends slavery, thereā€™ll be no raids to release slaves. Thereā€™ll be no need for ā€˜illegalā€™ slave raiding. It doesnā€™t have to be some kind of economic gƶtterdƤmmerung. Theyā€™re already working in the Empire, right? Pay them for the work they do. Then you donā€™t have to provide their food, you donā€™t have to provide their housing. I know this seems crazy, butā€¦ itā€™ll actually grow your economy.

If I pay you 50 ISK for food, thatā€™s 50 ISK of economic activity. Itā€™s a single 50 ISK transaction that gets taxed.
If I page you 50 ISK for work, and you pay Samira 50 ISK for food, thatā€™s 100 ISK of economic activity, and 2 transactions that each get taxed. Now scale it up by 11 trillion times. This should be a no-brainer.

Do that. Itā€™s win-win. You instantly defuse every Mizhara out there, and grow your economy at the same time. We get our people freed, and the slave raids from the Imperial Navy end.

Then strive to set an example of being people whose faith and morality people want to emulate. Cuz Iā€™ll tell you right now, Samiraā€™s a much better representative for your faith than your wife is. Sami doesnā€™t use her faith as a means to order people around and control their lives. Heck, she barely controls her cats. She just tries to be a good person and live as she believes God wants her to live.

And yeah, that means she tries converting people. Maybe she isnā€™t always successful, but you know what? Sheā€™s willing to respect a ā€˜noā€™, even if she doesnā€™t like it. When it happens, the person she gets mad at is herself. She gets demonstrably upset about failing the person sheā€™s talking to. And thatā€™s just adorable. She doesnā€™t turn her back on the person she thinks is errant, either. She keeps talking to them and letting them see her devotion and faith, without being pushy about it. That makes people want to say ā€˜yesā€™.

As forā€¦

They take their ultimate direction from the Throne. Therefore, they are agents of the Imperial Throne. Just because theyā€™ve got layers of middle-management in there doesnā€™t change that.

2 Likes

A solution to the economic issues of emancipation of Minmatar slaves:

The Takmahl Mass Cloning Device can be employed to address the economic issues. By rapid production of Ealurian and other slaves to take the place of the emancipated Minmatar, the labour shortage is easily addressed.

This allows the longer-term reforms to be conducted without undue stress on the economy that would put the success of the reforms at risk.

1 Like

Perhaps the Amarr donā€™t desire this and Iā€™m not really wishing to force this on your society. A pluralistic society could offer advantages that might be worth considering. Multiple points of view on solving a problem come to mind. Enriching oneā€™s cultural experiences by interacting with people who have different ways of doing things. I wonā€™t say there arenā€™t disadvantages though. Power struggles between the different groups arenā€™t uncommon and some groups end up disadvantaged as a result.

I would argue that in some ways the Amarr are already pluralistic, even if not in any official sense. The Amarr effort to homogenize culture and faith had been largely successful, I will grant. Donā€™t you think that all of those cultures you absorb and assimilate would also have an effect on your culture and faith as well? How many positive ideas that are now enshrined in Amarr originally came from the races you have enslaved?

I also understand that power struggles between different groups arenā€™t new to the Amarr either.

A person should not get to pick and choose whether they want to follow Amarr or to follow some other faith or no faith at all. Not in Amarr, of all places.

But there are examples where you do just that, within Amarr as well. Perhaps not with citizens, or among your slaves, but with people from the other empires. It might be for practical reasons, but you do allow it to some extent and in some areas.

I have several atheist friends.

Iā€™m glad to hear that. Weā€™re not enemies, you realize? You and I, I mean. We both just have strong opinions that just happen to be opposing.

No, it cannot. It is both. The enemies of the inside have to be controlled, and the enemies of the outside defeated.

This is some very binary thinking. Does my NOT being Amarr make me your enemy by default? At least according to Amarrian scriptures?

Iā€™ll need to review your points about Reclaiming before I comment further on it.

Sure. But the structure of faith, and living in a faithful society, provides greater encouragement and opportunities to cultivate your spirit. Good people can exist in secular or atheist nations, but it is in spite of their environment. They are surrounded by people who put more value in material pursuits instead of spiritual ones. Material societies encourage material pursuits.

Iā€™m hearing faith requires a community to reinforce it otherwise people will only focus on materialism. Is that correct?

2 Likes

We have the largest population in New Eden. We have plenty of different points of view on solving problems.

Some aspects of other cultures have been assimilated, yes. When they donā€™t disrupt what it means to be Amarr. But there are many, many things that are dangerous, which canā€™t be allowed to influence Amarr. As I have said, part of the purpose of slavery was as a system for isolating large numbers of conquered peoples and eliminating the parts of their cultures that were incompatible with Amarr before integration into Amarrian society.

Those people have to convert to the Rite if they intend to become Amarr citizens. And when they are just temporary visitors, they are not permitted to go around blatantly expressing their views. Yes, it is allowed to some extent for the practical concerns of an interstellar society, but it is hardly desirable. Non-Amarr in Amarr are monitored closely to make sure they are not causing dissension with their divergent customs.

Well, we are politically and religiously opposed. So yes, we are enemies by default. And as long as you are not Amarr, I am obligated to try and Reclaim you. Based on the way our discussions have gone so far, Iā€™m clearly not succeeding or likely to succeed at that, but itā€™s still my duty. But I do not hate you, or wish violence on you, if that is what youā€™re concerned about.

In many cases, yes. Iā€™m not going to say always, but your environment absolutely influences how you develop as a person.

1 Like

Granted, but theyā€™re still mostly degrees of difference of the main Amarr viewpoint. Am I correct?

Those people have to convert to the Rite if they intend to become Amarr citizens. And when they are just temporary visitors, they are not permitted to go around blatantly expressing their views. Yes, it is allowed to some extent for the practical concerns of an interstellar society, but it is hardly desirable. Non-Amarr in Amarr are monitored closely to make sure they are not causing dissension with their divergent customs.

Interesting. Thanks for the clarification.

But I do not hate you, or wish violence on you, if that is what youā€™re concerned about.

To a small degree, maybe? It mostly that it has been brought to my attention that some people think I might be considering violence against your empire. I just want to assure you that Iā€™m not.

In many cases, yes. Iā€™m not going to say always, but your environment absolutely influences how you develop as a person.

Oh yes, I agree that environment plays a significant role in development. Hrm, so if faith is a development toward transcendence and environment affects development, how is faith related to belief?

2 Likes

I doubt anyone in Amarr is much worried about one capsuleerā€™s activities against the Empireā€¦ or even a thousand. Much as we might like to think otherwise, weā€™re just not that all-powerful.

2 Likes

Yeah, I may have in inflated ego, but thatā€™s NOT what I was thinking. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Maybe. But I see as many different views on solving problems between different people in Amarr, as I do between Amarr and members of other nations. The faith influences how we respond to our world, certainly. But I do not believe we are somehow lacking in capacity to respond appreciably to problems that we face.

I donā€™t know if I understand this question. But faith as I am talking about it here is in the sense of a religion. Something that directs and guides how a person lives their life and what they can or should do to better themselves. Anyone can believe in something, but a faith - as in, a religion - is not just belief, it is also practice.

In any case, I believe that we are getting rather off-topic.

1 Like

Fair enough, Ms Kernher. Thank you for indulging me and my curiosity.

3 Likes

Hopefully weā€™ve stymied that route for now. Welcome back to the conversation, some days late, I admit.

This is exactly the attitude that both sides must take if we are to stop this from degrading into a true war again. Failing humility of our own wrongs and forgiveness for the wrongs of others, realizing exactly what you have stated can and will suffice. At a certain point, recognizing the futility of holding on to these grudges can be just as good as reconciliation. Indeed, it is often the first step.

A reasonable plan, though it will require CONCORD to be more active than it has been in the past, and for both of our nations to accept its increased role. Distrust in CONCORD seems to be running high in many places in the cluster.

Fully agreed here, though the door should be open for expansion of missionary rights and freedoms when tensions die down.

Now, this will be the most tricky to pull off. I am not entirely convinced our militiaries will be capable of cooperating with one another until after at least a few decades of de-escalation and reconciliation. CONCORD, again, will have to take the lead here in a very concrete manner.

Overall, your grasp of the situation is accurate and your suggestions within reason and fairness. I applaud your words.

One interesting thought I had since this thread died down a bitā€¦ If tensions with the Minmatar and Gallente were alleviated, and our military and slavers become less occupied with them, the Empire could redirect armed Reclaiming efforts towards groups that truly deserve destruction and enslavement: the pirate ā€˜nationsā€™. With their increased power and aggression, I see it as a prime opportunity for House Sarum and the other expansionist minds in the Empire to bring back the Reclaiming of old in a more productive and agreeable way. We should be serving the cluster at large with our efforts, rather than threatening it. That could mean all-out wars of Reclaiming on the Angel Cartel, Serpentis Corporation, and Guristas, while campaigns of extermination should be prosecuted against Sanshaā€™s Nation and the Blood Raiders. Not all at the same time, per say, but the Empire still has many enemies to turn its attention to even if we turn away from the Republic and Federation.

I can think of no better way to bring the cluster together and improve the Empireā€™s standing and reputation with the civilized peoples than to show what the Reclaiming is really about - turning the wicked into the good, and destroying the abominable and unclean.

2 Likes

Namas, Mr Shutaq. I would like to interject here. Military that have spent decades of more fighting each other can often coordinate with each other very well. Trust issues aside, this shouldnā€™t be surprising as both sides have been studying the other and are quite familiar with each otherā€™s precedures and practices. If a lasting peace can be found then cooperation between the armed forces may be one of the easier tasks.

I see it as a prime opportunity for House Sarum and the other expansionist minds in the Empire to bring back the Reclaiming of old in a more productive and agreeable way. We should be serving the cluster at large with our efforts, rather than threatening it.

I understand that some houses within your empire oppose this interpretation of the Reclaiming. What is the plan to get those other houses to buy into this line of thought? If this is tipping your hand to your opposition then donā€™t feel the need to answer, I just would like to know that youā€™ve got one. Perhaps someday the Amarr will be called revashokad by some no more, and hopefully soon.

2 Likes

Just for the sake of clarity, are you really proposing the Amarr religion as a form of capital punishment for piracy?

:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

2 Likes

If the Empire removes that ā€˜intergenerationalā€™ part of their slavery of the interstellar criminal elements and use it as a kind of penal punishment mixed in with what is essentially a spiritually-charged corrective action so as to ensure that they can operate as productive, though devout, members of society after the completion of sentence (which I expect is dependant on how spiritually awakened and repentant they get as they serve their sentence), I am not opposed to it.

Also, CONCORD marketed themselves as an interstellar neutral peacekeeper organisation, here to mediate, guide and keep us from destroying ourselves. I say itā€™s time for them to do exactly that.

4 Likes

No, no, capital punishment usually means death.

This is a criminal reform policy. With lasers and glaive collars.

2 Likes

and slavery usually is to death, otherwise it would be imprisonment, not a readjustment of ones morals and beliefs.

Havenā€™t said whether I agreed or disagreed (still making sure its an actual proposal since I would expect someone like myself, miz, or ect to propose your religion as a punishment.) Just seems odd hearing an idea like that from you.

2 Likes