AFK Cloaking

Repeat after me: an AFK character cannot hurt you.

2 Likes

Itā€™s the only counter we have to the omnipotent local chat intel and the only meaningfully effective way to prevent botting.

OP wants botters to have free reign and should be banned for that.

Just saying a person is whining, while not giving any constructive feedback or discussion. If you disagree with me, give actual reasons why, if you would like to discuss further I believe there is a forum on this topic. If this post triggers you and you are too worked up to reply like an adult maybe you should relocate to a different forum suited for such immaturity.

I am stalking a gate camp in my bomber. I move in slowly from say 100 on warp in yo get a bomb position that allows me to bomb and warp to an on grid safe I also had to create while cloaked.

Do I really want to be interrupted by a popup at some crucial time because Iā€™m not actually AFK and using a cloak as intended? And before you suggest keyboard input could be used to detect if a person is AFK, a bot could easily duplicate such actions and be very hard to detect. Heck if not done right, putting a rock on the space bar could give the impression that a person is not AFK. So this notion generally falls into the realm of not solving your problem.

Iā€™m a nul explorer running relic and data sites. No friendly stations or citadels for jumps. My daughter has a nightmare so I cloak up, buy donā€™t have time to wait 15 minutes before I can safely log. An hour later I have to run out to the computer because you want to feel more safe when mining in nul? i have as much right to cloak up for the hour or two till I can return to game as you have, so why do you get a change that negatively impacts my play style?

I am a cloaky saber pilot, waiting patiently in a relic site in nul NPC space, waiting for an explorer to call into my trap. Do I have to deal with some pop-up right when I need to launch my warp disruption probe?

Look, I understand you think your idea is new. Itā€™s not. Probes, fuel bays, and so many other ideas have been proposed. They all generally fail in to 2 ways. The disrupt the more normal uses for a cloak or they could be beaten by the simplest of bots or other method. These are not new ideas.

So please, go check the other suggestions in the linked thread on AFK Cloaking. If you figure out a new solution, great. Otherwise expect to fall on deaf ears because this has been discussed so often there is a sticky thread dedicated to the discussion.

2 Likes

Cheers! I shall and thanks for your response :smiley:

obligatory gif :wink:

2 Likes

Except that you are being uninteractive by docking up and not giving fights. The cloaky camper would love to interact with you.

Then maybe he should just stop being so shy about it. :joy:

Nobody really know what are they for there. And that is the most spooky part.

Of course we can pretend they are hunters or explorers that went AFK, or hotdroppers actively seeking targets, who the hell knows? You have to be prepared for anything and have some solution for every occasion.

Maybe they are there just for people to post about it constantly?

2 Likes

This thread comes up on almost a weekly basis. In fact, Iā€™d be surprised if there wasnā€™t a nerf cloaking thread in the first 2 pages on this forum section. Almost every single one of them goes like this:

1. OP posts a post with a new (lol) idea that always boils down to some variation of the following:
  • ā€œThereā€™s a big meanie who is sitting in my system and not doing anything, but I donā€™t know where he is and I canā€™t ever just go next door. I canā€™t find said meanie and even though I know that heā€™s probably at work and poses no threat at all, I wont do anything in my system that I absolutely canā€™t leave ever because he might not be at work and I might lose a ship. CCP please stop the meanie from being able to do nothing to me because heā€™s probably at workā€
  1. Thread gets trolled because its been done literally to death. This horse has been beaten so hard and so often that itā€™s little more than a memory of a memory of a red smear on the grass, and yet it STILL WONT DIE! In fact itā€™s been done so many times that this particular horse is now undead; even if it does die, it will still be remembered and parodied.

2. Someone comes along and suggests that AFK cloakers canā€™t hurt you, because they are, by their very definition, AFK. No one ever lost a ship to someone who ISNā€™T PLAYING THE GAME.

3. Someone else comes along and points out that while the cloaker might be AFK, he might not be, and so we have Schrodingerā€™s Hot Dropper. The cyno pilot who might be AFKā€¦ but he might not be as well, and you will only know for sure when he decloaks, points and lights his candle. (Yes, I know this isnā€™t how the cat works)

4. Someone else comes along and suggests that you use bait and setup a TARP. Or have a defence fleet on standby. Heaven forbid you have to actually fight to defend your space.

5. A further person comes along and suggests that the problem isnā€™t cloaking AFK in your system that you canā€™t possibly leave ever, but that you KNOW that the person is AFK in your systemā€¦ and perhaps local should be removed because free 100% accurate intel is probably not the best thing in the game and if you didnā€™t know that the big meanie was in your system, you wouldnā€™t be worried about leaving the undock/POS.

6. Then another person pokes their head in and complains that local is 100% NEEDED because D-Scan and probing are such bad mechanics, and IF YOU TAKE MY LOCAL AWAY IM QUITTING FOREVER AND NO YOU CANā€™T HAVE MY STUFF!

7. Someone asks if they can have 7ā€™s stuff.

We end up with another thread which goes on for pages and pages between complains about local, defence fleets, inability to just go next door, people who arenā€™t playing the game but are playing the meta, lots of bickering and in the end nothing gets solved. CCP wont remove cloaking because it would mess with waaay too many things and it creates content (which is a good thing) by removing content (which is a bad thing) but they canā€™t really think of any way to do it without a complete overhaul of the local and scanning systems.

Now that Iā€™ve had this entire threadā€™s conversation, can we just let it die? Please?

3 Likes

Youā€™re late. The thread has already been killed, just not locked yet.

1 Like

I dream a dream that one day I will be able to wake without getting notified of inappropriate behaviour on the forums.

Duplicating locked threads, and creating duplicate threads is prohibited. Please use the official AFK thread.

ā€“ Locked.

4 Likes