AGE OF CONSENT

Yes, I should have written “CCP doesn’t believe so with the current protections and that’s all that matters”.

3 Likes

We still have players with 10+ years experience whining and crying as well…

6 Likes

I don’t have a source for this, but it’s something I’ve heard from a few different people. So, don’t know if it’s true, rumor, the result of a game of telephone, or what. Regardless, I heard that losing a ship actually increases new player retention. And this does fit with my early experience of Eve. I was attracted to the game after reading about large fleet battles and hearing that it was brutal and unforgiving. Then I started playing, quickly found myself mining in a venture, and was like, “this kind of sucks. Can’t wait till SC comes out.” But then I got ganked and was like, “okay, I’m in the right place.”

2 Likes

20 years from now, when Star Citizen has been crowd-funded to the GDP of a small country, maybe, just maybe, it will be released…

5 Likes

Yeah, that’s not an accurate representation of what CCP have said, but the general gist is that being killed as a new player is the major indicator of staying with the game.

Not the cause of staying with the game, but the #1 indicator that someone is taking part in activities that mean they will stick with the game beyond 3 months.

3 Likes

Well, CCP updated this on February 07, 2020 @ 04:49 so they obviously still think it’s important.

The “source” was a fanfests presentation by CCP that showed a correlation between players that played for more than 30 days and players who lost a ship to PvP of any kind. Of course when you look at the stats on how many never even undock… it’s a strong possibility to say they lost a ship because they played longer. Unconfirmed in any direction though, CCP never took it beyond a correlation.

The actual biggest take away from that CCP study was that players who engage in any social aspects of the game are far more likely to stay.
This can include conversations with a ganker about what happened and how to avoid it the next time, a strong supportive Corp, a public group with chat channels like spectre fleet or an incursion group, or even just good chats in local.

1 Like

Of course it’s important. Who said it isn’t?

However, you should learn how their systems work. They didn’t change anything and the timestamp doesn’t mean they did. It’s an automatically generated point in time. Go look at all of the other support articles and you’ll see.

1 Like

I compared current version with a version from June 01, 2019, and it seems there are no changes.

1 Like

This is an excellent question and it already has something of an answer. Skilling and skill restrictions, as well as brute monetary/economic limitations already act as a throttle on what a new player characters can and cannot do. They can’t just hop into a Vagabond and fit a bunch of expensive stuff on it (well, not without going quite out of their way to do so). The problem is that there is no throttle on the other end to what another player who has been playing for a long time can do with them, and it is in the interest of that other player to see the newbie as being ready for the PVP experience, even if they aren’t. And just because the younger character’s ship is ready, because they fitted and fly it in a way that mimics more veteran players/characters, that doesn’t mean they are psychologically ready for the ship loss or even just the excitement and thus potential trauma that can occur in a PVP encounter, even one they win or survive.

And, also keep in mind that not every player that plays the game is even an adult. Imagine being a 12 or 13 year old kid playing for the first day or two and having some older player entice you out to low sec or null or a wormhole only to turn on you and all you can do is flail about helplessly with the only mentor immediately available being the person who did this to you. How would that inform your game experience going forward? Good? Bad? How would restricting this from happening for the first week or two harm the game?

There is this thing called two party consent, which means that both parties on both sides of a conversation need to give their consent in order for the recording or the details of the conversation to be allowed usage in a court of law.

You know, when you phone a company, and they say “We may record this call for training and Quality assurance purposes”?

Well, when you stay on the line, your consent is assumed to be given, and that call and conversation can be used in a court of law. You dont have to say “I give consent”, or “I do not give consent”.

Do you know how you refuse consent? You hang up the phone.

With eve, its the same thing. You consent when you undock. If you dont want to consent, then uninstall the game, or never undock. Thats how you refuse consent.

Because they installed it.

They installed it, opened it up, and started playing it.

A parent cannot buy an R-rated game for their child, and sue the game company and expect to win. God knows Jack Thompson has tried.

No.

4 Likes

I am fairly sure EVE has an age limit of 13. And if you are below 18, you need a permission from parent.

1 Like

Yeah, the timestamp means nothing in terms of a person actually doing anything. It’s automatically generated anytime the backend does something with that data.

2 Likes

Thanks to the existence of plex, there is no monetary/economic limitation.

Coincidentally, this also solves skilling and skill restrictions too, thanks to the existance of skill injectors.

If youre saying that there maybe should be a limit to how much you can purchase in one go, then i am all for that. But this has nothing to do with new players, and more to do with compulsory spending habits.

T for Teens, means 13 and up.

On the flipside, imagine a veteran nullsec player making a new character and then going to Nullsec and mining in perfect safety for the first 30 days. Good? Bad? most certainly bad. What a great way to abuse the system.

3 Likes

Evidence or GTFO. These imaginery scenarios are exactly that, imaginery.

However, if that applied to me, that I was a 13 y/o joining the game and I was killed, I would have loved it. PVP is what brought me to the game way back and if it happened early, I probably wouldn’t have left quickly the first time around.

3 Likes

Mayhaw Morgan never got permission from his parents to play this game. Hence, the thread.

3 Likes

Yeah I don’t think anybody here knows exactly how their system works. However I did look at other support articles which all have different time stamps.

Epic Arcs show it was updated Friday at 18:54

Standings was updated March 18, 2020 04:16

Specifically for “Rookie Griefing” article, here is the 9-months-old version:

It is the same.

Yes of course, because it’s an automatically generated timestamp. They are all updated regularly by the backend.

Means nothing in terms of CCP actually updating it. When they do update important things like that, there is an article to accompany it, posted on their news page or devblogs, and of course, they send a tweet, post it to reddit and facebook.

You should know this, you even liked this previous post from ISD Stall:

But again, who said the rookie griefing policy wasn’t important?

1 Like

Well, the list of systems is still the same, just some of the text was changed in the article which is why the time stamp has been updated.