Alpha Changes: Gank Power

That’s very unlikely. It’s far more likely that we’ll see pirate ships will be Omega-locked. No different than how some skills are omega-locked currently and how these -and certain other- hulls were pre-alpha.\

If they do, that will be a really stupid idea on CCP’s behalf due to the massive power jump over typical T1 hulls.

If you paid any attention at all to how things were locked and how alphas still could use the Gnosis you’d have noted that the entire reason pirate vessels were locked is because previously an alpha would never have two sets of racial hulls training while in the alpha state. Thereby not qualifying because they didn’t have the minimum racial hull 3 for both required types to utilize a pirate vessel.

You aren’t even allowed to train covert in alpha, because they do not want alpha having cloaks. You can’t train the skills for mining barges in alpha because they are too easy to scale with numbers and being near afk.

The entire lockout methodology is based on the skills retained while alpha. The new setup is free training within the alpha setup to 5m SP while the total available pool of 20m SP is potentially available if trained when paid training time lapses. The single race restriction is gone and with it pirate vessels will be usable.

The important thing to note is that since CCP still are preventing T2 vessels from being usable in alpha state that an alpha pirate is probably going to be stuck at 4/5 for both hull types because of how CCP manages lockout from T2 hulls. Which means they will not have the full bonuses. Still a nice jump up from T1 hulls though. But with only partial hull skills and only partial support skills they will be some shiny shiny kill mails.

3 Likes

Renesco, Steam is one step ahead of you with their new game “Mining Industry Simulator” no ganking at all.

Ganking is part of crimewatch
gg

And @Salvos_Rhoska, the changes are more for nullsec powerblocs than the 20 or so guys that are ganking.
T2 will allow alphas to be more included in their alliances’ doctrines so they are less of a meatshield lol

But then again every change has to be because of gankers or for gankers /s

Edited a typo

4 Likes

@Kynami_Vaille I’m going to guess you’re relatively new to the game and don’t even know what I meant by pre-alpha. Not to mention you should really avoid talking down to people when you haven’t even taken the time to comprehend what they have said.

So, “if you paid any attention at all” to how things were before, even now, CCP has had the ability lock ships, skills, anything they wish to be Omega-only. Believe it or not it actually is possible for them to go in and lock ships and modules you have skills for to prevent their use. It’s not game breaking, not breaking anyone’s immersion, it’s giving people an incentive to go Omega to get access to these powerful pirate ships and modules. So no, whatever you are thinking the methodology of locking out items were you’re horribly mistaken. The entire idea of locking them out of skills and ships has always been to give incentive to go Omega. It just makes good business sense.

Just because you want access to everything a standard roam or fleet would ask of a line member (most dps doctrine ships today focus around pirate or cheap t1 hulls already) with no membership requirement is something we must avoid at all cost. Simple because the more steps taken towards a full F2P model the more we will be forced to deal with the multitudes of microtransactions that come with it as a counterbalance. Ultimately spiraling into territories they swore they never would out of necessity.

I’d argue for baby steps, start with giving them BC on down and cross faction and move on from there while keeping the T1 lock. CCP is not going to want the PR nightmare of giving them BB or T2 realizing it was a mistake then taking it away.

1 Like

The only lock that currently exists are on skills. As an alpha you can only train some skills and those only to a certain level. If you have the required skills you can fly/use it.

They even mentioned that alphas will now have access to all the pirate ships. So nothing “unlikely” here, this is confirmed and coming.

EDIT:

I also have to add, for all the bitching I constantly do about CCP, I have to say this is actually a brilliant move. The alpha set was not very compelling in my opinion, but now it is. It will allow access to an incredible amount of high-end content. This is how you get people invested in the game, by being generous which makes them in turn more willing to pay for additional stuff.

The most important factor is that the skill training stops at 5mil SP. So they can now purchase skills which then can still be used. This is way more compelling than to pay for something you will lose access to if you stop subscribing.

8 Likes

Have you ever done 5/10 in a low sec system full of people trying to hunt you down, having a lot of targets to manage and only your trusty tech 1 cruiser? I am talking challenging stuff, not some low effort ratting in deep null.

They should make the stuff that would make you look like this after you will run it:

1 Like

My jaw clenches reflexively at the thought of attempting a 5/10 in LS with 5mil SP…

Dont do it kids.

Nope.

1 Like

Lol
Do you really think Australian Excellence is a carebear of some sort running DED sites?

4 Likes

Dont care about that. If he is, we would find it easier but still challenging. If not, he would find it harder and more challenging. Thats good.

1 Like

Technically youll be able to field nados over the gank vexors for that sort of ganking but like Ima Wreck you is saying most will be omega already as it stands so there shouldnt be more of it. Using a few boxed ganker toons that are farmed is more efficient solo than getting a small group together.

As for the larger frieghter ganks more does equal cheaper ganks. The only reason to go bigger, aka talos, is because you dont have the numbers for a juicy target. Cheaper gankers also means lower thresholds for gank targets for profitability.

So no I dont think this will have much effect in the ganking category but in other areas of gameplay.

1 Like

Namaan
They said no large T2 guns, so Alpha BS limited to only large T1 guns

Will be interesting to see how many Alphas we end up with cruising around in their 600 DPS battleships.

It seems multi boxing (Omega accounts) in large fleets could become less popular - Why bother paying for accounts to fly in large fleet fights when you can use an Alpha account with a little less DPS and still be part of it all.,.

CCP is doing themselves a great injustice here - Allowing Alpha’s to become more of a thing is only going to encourage more to drop subs… Why pay for an account when a free account can do just about the same?

EveOnline is quickly becoming - “Just another game”
Everything that made Eve what it was is slowly being eroded away.,.

Free to try has become “free to play”.

1 Like

Do you know how many Alpha accounts are going on to become paid subscribers though? I see it happening daily in Rookie Help. I can’t give you figures, but let’s assume it’s working and Alphas are becoming Omegas at a rate that is pleasing to CCP, then we shouldn’t be too surprised when they attempt to make the Alpha state more inviting.

That is fine as long as they don’t over do it. If they make Alpha accounts so good that the Omega wall that I see people getting frustrated with is no longer big enough to force the step up to Omega they will indeed shoot themselves in the foot.

I assume someone in the accounts / subscriptions department is keeping a careful eye on such things and thinks it’s a gamble worth taking.

1 Like

The sad thing about these Alpha changes can be that it will not bring a lot of people that will stay longer than month after the change. Like the first time. Its only a bit better that people will now have some tools to find content in game. But that can be not enough to overshadow the frustration or boredom that could arise in them after some time.

1 Like

The whole.boredom thing was because alphas couldn’t fly the ships that they deemed nice because of racial lock

Giving them that extra content will make more stay, as opposed to what you currently think

2 Likes

Let’s look at it logically.

Would CCP implement these changes if the Alpha system wasn’t working to an extent?

Likely not.

The Alpha system is great, especially for returning players. It allows people to see just how much the game changed since they left it. For new players, it gives you the opportunity to see what the full game is like. If you’re happy with what you have, great! Work up to buy some Omega time and see if you like it that much more.

It’s a great system, in my opinion. I think these changes are good.

2 Likes

But then, who will stop them from thinking that all ships are nice. Capitals, tech 2, tech 3. There must be something nicer always, to get to Omega state.

It only happens because they do not want to get Omega.
If you remove this requirement what will make them want to pay?

Caps and T2 hulls

That alone is a good incentive to get omega

And from what I’ve heard, the 20m cap is only attainable if you go omega for some time.
So unless you go omega at least once you’ll be stuck at 5m sp (since you won’t be able to train past it)

What more can you ask? Lol