Alpha Changes: Gank Power

That’s ok by me, I have around 1.5 Bil SP across my accounts.
All I need to do is extract all but 20 mil of soon to be unnecessary SP. Leave 1 or 2 accounts at 20 mil SP with different skill sets (to maximize what I can fly) and Eve is forever “free to play”.

Pretty sure selling off a bil or so of SP should leave me with enough isk to buy whatever ships I might need, for a few years at least.

The only thing I might miss is the social aspect of sitting for hours mining while chatting but I think I’ll get over it by remembering I no longer have to find in excess of 15 bil per month for subs.
I have enjoyed my time multiboxing and working out the best way to maximize isk earned vs time spent earning it but the opportunity to play without the need for additional isk (plexing accounts) is being put on the table, so why not take advantage of it…

im sitting here wondering why im paying 143.00 a year when i can just unsub play as 5m alpha then wait for them to be able to do 20m sp training lmao

1 Like

Well, your alphas won’t train past 5M SP. You will need to subscribe or by injectors to get up to the 20M SP.

That said, if you characters already have those 20M SP trained, you can just stop subscribing and still use those skills you already trained.

While that might be enough for many things, you have to remember the no-multiboxing limitation which I think may more restrictive than the SP cap.

1 Like

The problem with Alpha ganking is very easy to tell. You dont have to pay for it. You dont need Omega. If you are ganked by a fleet of 15 Omega catalysts you just say: ok, unlucky. But if you are ganked by a fleet of 20 Alphas…controlled through just 2 or 3 players on 3 PC´s…then I have to say: f…u…thats not what Alpha accounts are made for? That some guys do 10 VMWares and control 10 Alphas on 1 PC…thats not what CCP wanted to reach with the alphas.

I absolutely agree, we need to remove aggression in high sec unless it’s via crime watch or a war. “Ganking” shouldn’t exist in eve terminology outside of people “Ganking” unsuspecting war victims.

1 Like

What you say?
You want to get ganked, repeatedly, you say?

:grin:

2 Likes

It’s not a joking matter. Eve is evolving. The game will function just fine with out the ability to gank people outside of crime watch and wars. It’s in my opinion that the more carebearish we make high sec, the better odds that people will stay and ultimately make CCP more money. Low/Null Sec is where it should be dangerous to be. Not high sec.

1 Like

Indeed. And that is against the rules. Petition anyone you think is abusing alpha clones. I’m sure multiboxing gankers are petitioned almost daily so it won’t be long before a GM notices such EULA breaking behaviour.

Personally, I have seen no evidence of people breaking the rules and using multiple alpha accounts to gank, although I have seen plenty of evidence miners are doing so. Still, that might change with the upcoming expansion of alpha skills, but there is no reason to cry that the sky is falling until then.

3 Likes

One can’t just let this thread die.

Let me ask you a question: why would a rational player spend money on multiple computers and bother dealing with virtual machines to multibox alphas, all while facing the risk of being banned for EULA violation, when he can set up an SP farm on every account and run Omegas 100% legally?

Personally, I’m not doing it (yet), but I got a confirmation on Reddit just yesterday that even now, after 1.5 years of SP farming, you can break even ISK-wise if you extract SP every month and exchange them for PLEX. You still can run an infinite number of Omega accounts for free. This fact alone makes all concerns about Alpha gankers voiced in this thread redundant.

Now, as far as the SP farming epidemic is concerned, it’s way, way bigger than ganking. For every 1 player who’s maintaining one or several SP-farmed Omega ganking alts, there are probably 100 nullsec players who maintain fleets of free Omega VNI/Carrier/Rorqual alts for PvE or mining - and those fleets are scalable as all hell. It’s Malcanis’ law in action for you: any feature that’s aimed at helping new players (of course, skill injectors were, in fact, a shameless cashgrab by CCP, but helping new players catch up to the veterans was the official narrative) will be adapted and used with a much greater efficiency by older and more experienced players, as well as organized and powerful entities.

4 Likes

Are you from the US, by chance?

5-50 mil cost for wars? With no way of countering? Nah… that´s just “legal” piracy.

If there was some sort of bidding war between the two parties it would be another thing entirely - why on New Caldari is it fair that you can only pay Concord to start wars… but not to end them?

The war mechanic was set into place to settle disputes and fight for territory. Not so dudes who are too yeller to fight in null or low like real eggers can safely harass industry corporations.

The cost of the war decs hasn´t changed since PLEX cost a little more than 300 mil - the same plex costs around 1,7billion+ - so a war dec should cost at least 250+ mil isk at todays prices… optimally wardecs should cost 150-200 plex - that way the “price” of starting a war remains the same - and there will be less frivolous war decs.

The war mechanic is an old mechanic. It needs work. It needs a lot of work.

What are you talking about? The price of wars against corporations was increased 25 times or so from 2M ISK to 50M ISK with the 2012 Inferno wardec changes, when PLEX was about 500M ISK. By my calculations then, that means we a not due for a price increase until PLEXing an account reaches about 12.5B ISK/month.

I’ll agree with this, but they certainly don’t need a price hike. Wars already are too expensive for smaller and poorer groups to use, especially given how easy it is to dodge a dec and how easy it is to get piled on.

1 Like

Wars should be expensive… :wink:

Do you know Mr Australian Excellence at all?

Those of us who do can enjoy a chuckle-huddle at your expense.

Briefly, there is nothing about Lowsec which would faze Mr Excellence in the slightest, nor anything in that region which hasn’t already attempted to do so.

Don’t make assumptions about people and err further by airing them publicly. I learned that the hard way; perhaps you can be thus persuaded to avoid future faux pas! :grinning:

3 Likes

No, they shouldn’t.

Now, war is hardly worth a consideration due to it’s costs and the risk of having the target simply disband and reform. It is mostky reserved to a few % of the people who do it. It’s a basic mechanic, though, which means it’s actually wasted.

In the past far more people did it, and the cut-throat nature of the game caused natural selection. Did they need a nerf? Likely. Was adjusting “cost” a smart way of crowd control? No.

The increase in price led to a reduction of gameplay options to the broader mass, yet did not significantly change the situation for those who banded together. All it did was making it a feature for the richer people, which equals a waste of potential content opportunities for literally everyone.

Share your proper analysis, and explain me the reasons why expensive wars are a good thing.

I’ll pick it apart.

1 Like

He’s obviously the biggest miner around Jita.

He mines all the icy tears :wink:

3 Likes

What are your views on this?
the more the merrier

What are your expectations?
that this will quickly devolve into that thread ,
be left open for the better part of a week to keep the regulars occupied
and the ceremoniously burned as an effigy to mark the coming of the next harvest thread

just checked the op’s date ,Oct 9, derp

What will be the new gank ship of choice?
whats the current gank ship of choice?

How much harder will transports/miners have to tank?
a tank will probably be sufficient , as it always has been.

3 Likes

I feel like nados will get a surge along with your classic Catas
As long as you dont fit triple cargo expanders like a idiot you should be fine most of the time.

1 Like

Off the top of my head the meta for alpha gankers might favor brutix, same or near same dps as a meta talos with AM rounds while being a slightly cheaper hull choice. But it only being roughly 300 dps over the T2 cats it wont see much usage. With SRP in place for people like CODE it should just be talos as theyll have more of them built anyway.

T2 weapons are generally cheaper than the meta 4 guns of the same type, though there are cheaper options most gankers already use anyway. So any changes will be a small price increase for a lot of effective dps increases.

I would think a gank Vexor would be up there in terms of damage since it would have full access to T2s from the updated Alpha skill set with the use of both T2 blasters and drones. And that is a considerably cheaper hull than a BC.

Don’t gank Vexors get around 800-900 DPS?

1 Like