Alphas and highsec pvp

so you consider ganking to be Elite PVP , i have to aggree with you there.

5 Likes

oh boy 4-5 cats can kill an orca these days , T1 or T2 fit cats ? T 2 i guess at 50-60mill. im going to resub my ganker alts \o/ orcas are going to be dying tonight.

3 Likes

I can, however, take your Orca out of commission using a single Machariel or Vagabond. Which I do quite often since you people insist on AFKā€™ing in themā€¦

Oh look. Hereā€™s an Orca taken out recently in hisec by a Catalyst gank squad.

I doubt anyone was in a T2 fit. Not going to spend the time adding it up but a rough guestimate the gank fleet cost maybe 320-350mil (generously). The loot, even with salvage, wasnā€™t notable.

But to the Orca owner Iā€™m sure it was.

The gankers were all in T2 fit Catalysts, that Orca had an almost non-existent tank, and it still took 16 Cats to kill itā€¦

5 Likes

Then you have this genius that got his Orca ganked by 83 ships, lol. Iā€™m going to add this one to the list of Idiot Orca Pilots. Flying around with Pith X, Pith A, ORE, and Syndicate mods. Through Uedama of all places. Genius, pure geniusā€¦

3 Likes

I rather mine veldspar using a venture, if this what you meant by lucrative.

2 Likes

Recruitment post? :stuck_out_tongue:

I donā€™t believe that ganking causes people to quit. In fact efforts off CCP in the past to seek evidence for that carebear myth have shown the opposite to be the case.

Where did you hear that? In your ag channel?

No he clearly doesnā€™t

3 Likes

You got suicide ganked as an alpha? 5 times? Or are you just trying to make it sound that way?

Your math on the Orca still doesnā€™t check out.

Also we donā€™t do ISK tanking here, you can easily fit a mining ship so it costs like 20x as much as that ship + equipment to gank. If you make it too easy for the ganker that is your fault, the tools to make yourself save are there.

New players donā€™t have Orcas or mining barges unless they cheat by using the credit card.

Did I say fleet or corp? No I didnā€™t. What I said are that the ā€œtools are availableā€ and by that I meant that you can chose the right ship and the right fitting and show some situational awareness. And if you canā€™t figure it out, no shame in simply asking how you can make your mining or whatever secure.

I kinda wonder why the first impulse is running to the forums and attempting to change a game mechanics that is part of the game for nearly two decades, instead of figuring out how others cope with the challengeā€¦ Clearly there are some that are successfully mining in highsec. It canā€™t be that difficult. Right?

3 Likes

Neither.

I just said I lost 5 ships. You made the assumption it was all suicide ganking.

Just for the record, I started ganking as a new player. I was gonna quit the game, cuz the PvE content was just plain terrible. Fortunately, someone sold me a mining permit.

Thatā€™s a significant fact if we were talking about ganking and new player retention.

7 Likes

2 Likes

The only assumption I made is that you deliberately made it sound that way, which you just confirmed. Itā€™s very rare that new players get ganked as there is simply no profit in doing so.

Telling that you did not address any of my other points.

Whatā€™s with the division and class warfare? An Alpha is a Human being. A Omega is a Human being. I donā€™t know why your so ticked off about the people paying CCP? Just hunt them and enjoy it. Not go and try to divide people based on alpha and omega class.

4 Likes

First off all, if a player leaves because they got killed, instead of trying to learn and grow as a player, then nothing of value was lost.

Second, many paying players create alpha accounts to gank on so that they donā€™t have to worry about sec status and/or kill rights. In fact, ganking sigs will actively tell players that they should use an alpha if theyā€™re worried about sec status.

Third, not like it matters, but are you sure that you can tell the difference between an alpha and omega? Because, even omega gankers will will use meta fit ships because they are cheap (or given to them for free).

No P2W

3 Likes

So as I see it ,not many gankers can be alphaā€™s, the tornado gankers maybe if it is a group of players working together and most alpha strike tornado teams need 3 players or 4 with looter scout/scanner, dps and booster, could do it blind with two maybe.

Most of the known large fleet gankers are omega account if multi boxer , like Safety , Kusion , painter fleet , HSG, Slaver Union. Iā€™m sure they have people join them by making an alpha and taking part as a side line , we use alphaā€™s to fill some rolls . Quite useful if you need to do something in a far off place but need your main to stay in one place .

So what is the real problem, so we have a group of players that want to haul and do pve stuff , CCP caters for these.
We have a second group of people who for whatever reason want to pray on these from 1st group, CCP cater for these people too in the form of game mechanics.

Then we have my group of people that would like to fight the 2nd group but it really is hard to do and virtually no game mechanic that helps us, we adapt what we can but it can be a hard struggle, so if people try they soon get bored and leave , it doesnā€™t lend itself to multi boxing that well other than scouts.

Not really an alpha omega problem as I see it ,I may be a bit biased but if we had a little bit more power to give them a good fight we could cut it back a bit , the Edencom ship are capable of stopping the large fleet ganks but cost now is astronomical, we came up with ways to hold them back and for a time we changed Uedama but that took large numbers and time , even now they have to join forces if we are out in numbers.

I donā€™t know what this power could be we need Iā€™m not a games designer but even that needs to be limited. As it is now we have no counter to some activities gankers do , other than massive out lay in time and people for little return.

4 Likes

What point are you trying to make here? Because it seems like you have a problem with the fact that the cost of ships required to gank a target is far lower than the cost of the target?

Well, Iā€™m going to tell you right now that I am glad that this is way things work. Outcomes should not be determined by how expensive your ship is anywhere in Eve, including ganking. Gankers are skilled players, using highly specialized characters, flying highly specialized ships, which makes them very good at doing one particular thing -using disposable ships to kill people who are making stupid mistakes in HS.

Ganking doesnā€™t need to be nerfed. People need to learn how to manage the risk of ganking, or go play something else more their speed. For christ sakes, this is a brutal, PvP-centric game. So, I really donā€™t understand why so many people want to turn it into a kiddy pool of a game.

No P2W

7 Likes

Yeah, Iā€™ve screenshoted a forum post by a dev going into more detail, but I canā€™t find it right now. If anyone can find it, please at me with it.

Regardless, they also talked about it in presentation at Eve fanfest 2015.

No P2W

2 Likes

Your thinking is so damned limited.

I consider high sec suicide ganking to be a niche play stlye.

Its no more elite PVP than a child kicking a puppy is a ā€œfightā€.