An Open Letter to CCP from Current and Former CSM Members on the "Prospector Pack"

CCP kept you coming back for 10 years. I think they would call that a win.

2 Likes

What I liked in late 2011 to early 2012 was that there were only 11 starter skills injected. You could build a focused character without a bunch of stupid untrained skills not needed for the build on your skillboard.

The one non gametime thing I’d pay cash for is starting a blank character. No skills installed. Some people don’t really care about a messy skillboard, but I do. Plus it wouldn’t affect anything in game so should be acceptable to all but those with a stick shoved permanently up their ass.

1 Like

Having additional mental clarity stemming from an uncluttered skill board would result in increased performance on the battlefield, so that would actually be an example of P2W.

1 Like

That’s not true. CCP hasn’t developed anything in the last 10 years that has kept me here. It’s always been about my friends that play the game, as all of us are hanging onto the last remnants of gameplay that have always interested us.

So to their credit, CCP got me hooked on what the game was. The stories of theft, deceit, and piracy of old. Reading old blogs and posts on the old forums. The butterfly effect and causality game trailers…. How they used to market the game: “HTFU” and “be the villain” were staples in some of their earlier marketing and communication with their playerbase.

So since first playing I’ve found my enjoyment and niches and have had plenty of them taken away or drastically nerfed… so it’s just about trying to enjoy what little I have left while CCP allows me to. So while other threaten to unsub, I won’t do that (I’m SP farming anyway) I’ll just do what I find to be most efficient to their bottom dollar. Relentlessly target and ■■■■ their new players and whales. I’ll enjoy it while I can! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Again. from their perspective, they kept you coming back, paying money or consuming other’s money (PLEX) for 10 years…everything you say from your perspective may or may not be true but that was not my point. Heck, you are a super-pissed bitter vet giving them the big middle finger yet you are still here and will be here to the end. That’s a bit messed-up.

I’m perfectly at peace consuming some plex that someone spent hundreds or thousands of dollars on. Eventually one day they’ll have their ticket punched and will no longer play.

Then I, the player base and CCP thank you for the content and your continued support of EVE Online.

Enjoy!

I have been playing off and on for years, and have only left when lack of time forced me. Eve always managed to bring me back. I was researching the latest on Eve and was about to resub this evening, until I saw this.

I do NOT support companies that commit anti-consumer, atrocious practices. I gave away my PS4 because Sony does it constantly.

And now CCP is doing this?

And I get the claims:

“They’ve been bought out by a Korean company who is known for monetization.”

So, if this is true, then one of two things has occurred:

Either, CCP has sold Eve, and “cut and run” with the cash they made from selling, or they have allowed their now parent company to arrange a deal that cucked them into a corner. I cannot believe the latter, as, if they had agreed to such a deal, why stay involved and not “cut and run”?

By selling fitted ships, regardless of their use, or lack thereof, you drop the value of said ships to near zero. What next? You remove the blueprints for Retrievers so they can no longer be manufactured, to not hurt industrials? Or do you simply start caving to the newbie who cries “I pay for Omega AND bought the $25 ship, and it got ganked” and start catering to the spenders as if this is an EA title?

I started back when 1 plex was your sub. When people cried in rookie help about getting blown up, they were told, “Welcome to Eve.” But you’ve clearly taken the “■■■■ you, give me money” approach that is now rampant in the industry, and are on the cusp of destroying what used to be a very good thing.

Eve is NOT an “easy game”. Dark Souls titles arent known for their ease. And thats why they sell. For those who want the added challenge. Eve used to be the MMO version. But somewhere along the line, you lost yourselves. And the last few updates and changes to industry and the refusals to LISTEN to your community has shined through YET AGAIN in the very manner you have practically begged for by even considering something as stupid as the ability to literally destroy the very economy that makes Eve so successful. Or rather, that used to. But ■■■■ us, right? All we’ve done is pay subs, play the game, or build the very things to power said economy. These arent items you buy from an NPC vendor. Industrialists have done the propping up of your damned economy for you for literal years, and your answer is to slap them in the face by making it harder and harder with disconnected, utterly morose changes like these.

We had a great thing going, CCP. You, and US, the players. But you’ve spat in our faces, when all we did was ask you to adhere to the “values” that you, yourselves stated you’d never stray from. So you’re liars too. But ■■■■ us. Give you money, right?

I agree with this letter, and will not be re-subbing. I sincerely hope this decision, as well as the ■■■■■■■■ you’ve pulled on industrialists, who have kept your ■■■■■■■ economy rolling FOR you for years, is reversed. I will not resub or recommend Eve until it is.

TL;DR : Stop trying to rape your players’ wallets and LISTEN. That’s how you earn players. Or else, accept your defeat and switch the goddamned server off.

CCP trying to squeeze that extra buck from noobs while ignoring the needs and wants of your greater player base and violating the sandbox statement. shame on you. signed and supports wholeheartedly this letter

And now neither does any retriever bought through this pack.

@Daichi_Yamato

Ore Packs next ? Hmm ?

Cruiser packs ?

Battleship packs ?

etc …

Yes it does,

Ie: The effect on market prices and the people working to build these ships for a living.

And also, the direct implications of some random newbie dude buying said ship with real money only to have it destroyed in seconds ingame …

Yeah, like that will really help new player retention … lmao

And here you are still not seeing the reality of the problem even when it comes smacking you in the face.

FTR everyone, simply leave the game and cancel your subs, because CCP will not change its course.

Eve is done for.

Shouldn’t we be shooting a statue in jita, it worked last time when they simply leaked a memo about P2W, but now its actually in the game despite the fact everything else from incarna that was cool was scrapped

I would love some “kill packs” to be offered in the store. Basically just randomly-generated kill mails of other players inside the character’s combat history, that would be verified and treated as regular kills by the kill board. The players acting as victims could be randomly selected from the player pool.

Additional services can include a temporary boost that prevents your character from being randomly chosen for other players’ kills while active, boosts that increase the value/difficulty of the kills (if a regular random kill mail has the same class of hull for the attacker and the victim, an “upgraded” kill would show the attacker in a smaller hull type, e.g. a frigate versus a battleship), and kills against specific players (as long as they don’t have the anti-kill boost).

Could just buy a kill pack or two every month and not have to log in at all.

Not yet.

You said within a year.

So you don’t think PLEX has an affect on the price of other goods?

That’s…naive.

It’s not that ships can be spawned with mods, nor that they are bigger than a destroyer, it’s not that the sandbox is ‘all of a sudden’ broken or that the player driven economy has been compromised. All that already happened. It smacked you all in the face already.

And that’s why kicking up a fuss now is such a joke.

1 Like

Plex is a currency.

The only effect Plex has on the price of ingame goods is the price of goods that can be ‘produced’ by exchanging plex: NES store items like extractors, ship skins and such.

Any increase or decrease in the amount of Plex in the game changes nothing about the availability of goods in the economy, it just changes the exchange ratio between plex and those goods - in other words, increases and decreases in amount of plex in the game changes the value of plex.

This is not the same as selling ships for real money as that does impact the economy far more than a simple currency exchange rate.

2 Likes

So you don’t think selling ships directly will have an effect on the price of said ships ?

So you don’t think adding another “out of thin air” variable on top of PLEX to ■■■■ up the game’s economy is bad ?

That’s … naive.

It’s never too late to be a sanctimonious blowhard, and ever since Injectors Im willing to bet …

1 Like

look again, even Gobbins and Kenneth Felds signed the letter.

I agree with this letter, NPE free ships are fine, a full barge is over the line. If CCP is hurting for isk, make packs people want. Or I would directly invest in the company if there were financial hurdles in real life. I do appreciate the gesture to get new players in the game mining. And maybe behind the data, we don’t see there is a huge mining gap coming, and a reason for the pack. But on the surface with what we/I know it doesn’t look right.

Cheers,

Poseidon Kronus

Au contrare.

If we assume everyone has the same shopping basket then you may be right. But that’s extremely unlikely. Much more likely is that a grinder (someone who buys Plex for isk) trades in different items to an instant-gratification-player (someone who sells Plex for isk). So when these two players exchange their purchasing power it has an effect on the supply and demand of the items each types of player usually trade in.

This isn’t a complaint about Plex by the way. Plex is great for the reasons Arrendis explains. But the creation of the Plex vault affected the Plex market which affected other items on the market. So any argument about how this allows you to deliver a ship straight to your hangar without the transport of goods is moot.

And that’s without pointing out the previous ship packs that did the exact same thing. Don’t forget those frigates and dessies ships aren’t gifted in the game anywhere.

I never said it wouldn’t.

Ha ha, and what was this an attempt at?

No. Since long before that.

So many players whining about the sandbox and the knock-on effects this will have on the wider game whilst blissfully ignorant of the compromises made before now.

To say this is the moment we crossed the line, to choose this moment to say ‘what about core gameplay’ is ignorant or disingenuous.

In the moments between cause and effect, this isn’t cause. This is effect. This is what the players asked for when they celebrated or condoned previous compromises.

Talk about closing the stable door after the horse has bolted.

1 Like