Anti-Gank (AG) Methods:

I have and you are saying that informing others and even hauling their stuff for them isnt taking action, at least as far as gank prevention is concerned. But it clearly is.

2 Likes

Salvos’ post assumes the attack is in progress. He asks what works best at that point.

E: OK, he does talk about ‘prevent’ but the follow on stuff suggests he is looking for feedback on item #1.

1 Like

Then he probably shouldnt use the word prevention.

Prevention =/= interruption

1 Like

I used both, in the tenses and sense of both.

Both prevention and interference.

There are other means to prevent a gank, than “educating” gank targets.

As I have explicitly said, multiple time already, this is not about the gank target, or their choices.

This is about AGs capacity to prevent/intervene in ganks.

2 Likes

Various players have now provided helpful counters to AG techniques, and advice on prevention. Thread is over?

They have plenty of capacity, it’s just that they are often completely and totally outnumber/outgunned.

With a similar number of character on each side, the vigilantes/white-knights should win every time. The problem, ok a problem, with the anti-gankers is that they are usually outnumbered 3, 5, or even 10 to one. Of course there is nothing they can do if that many players just want to bruteforce the fight with more DPS.

One to one, I am at the mercy of a competent antiganker and my only viable strategy is to commit a crime somewhere they are not (or escalate and get help). Now if me and 15 of my friends get together, there is very little that single anti-ganker can do to us.

Personally, that sounds pretty balanced to me and I am not sure why you would want to try to engineer a system where one dude had a chance against 12 or 25 or whatever.

TL;DR: You are confusing the imbalance in player numbers in most freighter ganks with an inherent imbalance in the mechanics. The mechanics favour the defenders but the player numbers usually favour the gankers.

7 Likes

As I said hard to balance, and wishful thinking if I’m honest.

It’s always been fairly useless in terms of encouraging people to take potshots at people with bounties, and low sec status characters like gankers often have sizeable ones and free to engage.

It’s one of those game mechanics that is never going to work well due to the nature of the game.

A question that must be asked is what discourages them from doing so under the current rules?

Many gankers are free to engage, regardless of criminal flags. One of the more respected members of the AG community has been known to suicide gank people for bumping miners, I was one of them on my original character.

Web and logi require a duel if out of corp IIRC, while that can be risky it is an option worth exploring, especially if you have more than one account; and are prepared to trust your alts :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Then you need to define what prevention means within this context.

I was under the impression it means stopping or loweringvrhe likelyhood of a gank occuring in the first place.

1 Like

I think you might need to re-read OP.
This isnt about counters to AG techniques.
Its about AG methods to counter ganks.

You got it ass-backwards.

1 Like

I believe what the OP (and many people) are after is some sort of ship or ability (like a taunt from other games) that “gets in the way” of a gank.

For example a “guard ship” that has to be destroyed before the “expensive target” ship is engaged. The trouble with implementing something like that is you would end up with another n+1, guard on guard on guard on guard etc …

This is not in Eve’s mechanics or really in its philosophy.

2 Likes

You have to take into consideration that fire service has lawful means to force their protocols and rules upon people.

For example: if i build a house and don’t work with fire service i will have problems with local laws.

And now: AG has no means to force it’s services and knowledge upon anyone. So they cannot relay on education and such. They have to deal with consequences of bad education and planning.

It’s like (using your example) fire service deals with fires in a forest. No systems in place, no education. Just pure fire and forest, work and deadly nature. Totally different stuff than in cities.

2 Likes

Not really. I hear Smokey the Bear is a thing.

Also having laws or protocols doesnt force anyone to follow them in RL. But you get CONCORDED just the same if you fail to follow them. Its just a jail term or a fine in RL.

Haven’t read the whole thread, but the best means to prevent gank is to buy a permit and follow The New Halaima Code of Conduct.

4 Likes

And AG doesnt live with the consequences, people who refuse to follow good Standards and Practices do.

Assuming this as true, should not every additional player participant on the part of the gank target not have a greater efficiency as weighed against the success of the gankers?

The gank fleet will always get wrecked by CONCORD.
Its not AGs job to do that. Its CONCORDs job.

All AG should need to do, as non-criminal participants, is keep the gank target alive long enough for CONCORD to do its job.

1 Like

You are again conflating AG with gank targets.

AG are not gank targets.

This is not about what the gank targets do, but about what AG can do.

2 Likes

The problem is that some independent gankers are not as enlightened as CODE, and will pick on overstuffed T1 haulers or freighters sporting CODE permits, thus, the need to discuss prevention and counters. What is CODE doing to stop these unlicensed gankers?

1 Like

So what do you think March rabbit meant when he said antiga have to live with the consequences?

Its not their frieghter thats just exploded as you keep pointing out.

1 Like

This.

And also CODE, by doctrine, has no mandate on requiring licenses from cargo vessels, only miners,

In the previous thread you said you would encourage discussion of AG mechanics/options.

Yet here you are, now, stonewalling AG to become exclusively a “public education” organisation, with no actual participation in ganks themselves.

Im ■■■■■■■ disappointed in you.

You are a bot-aspirant.
You prefer NPC intervention on ganks, rather than player based intervention.

1 Like