Any chance of station walking ever again?

This new company might not be so bad after all :wink:

Yet another review based on the fallacy that two games in completely different genres are comparable simply because they are both space games. As if we haven’t seen hundreds of those in 15 years…

EVE Online is one of a kind. Comparing it to a space shooter like Star Wars Galaxies makes about as much sense as comparing it to Space Invaders.

1 Like

Nah more Abyss first

My post on this subject from March 2017:

'Currently there are 1700 docked in Jita 4-4, if WiS was a reality it would have to deal with 1700 individual character interactions, and how those interaction affected all the other characters docked and walking around.

I’m certainly no expert, but I’m not aware of an FPS type game engine that can deal with that many characters at once, so what you are asking CCP to do is magically ‘just create one’ from the ground up, a project that would probably bankrupt the company, to deliver minimal gameplay and ‘make history’!

CCP have wisely decided not to waste millions on this.’

https://eve-search.com/thread/513197-1/page/5#138

I still don’t see that anything has changed in this regard, has PA got a game engine that can deal with this amount of interaction?

I don’t know where you’re from but where I live there’s a fire code for each room within a public building that set’s a population cap on how many people can be inside.

I’m sure the same aspect could be applied to WiS, basically making each room a separate server with it’s own population cap. If a specific room get’s filled up, you can either go to another room or wait in line, just like you do in real life when trying to get into a top name venue on Friday night.

Other mmo games have multiple avatar interaction within them, how do you think they accomplish it?

2 Likes

They do it with shards, which is specifically a thing EVE doesn’t do.

Sure, for ships in space but we’re talking about a different type of content.

Even if there’s 1700 characters docked in Jita 4-4 they definitely wouldn’t all be in the same room doing WiS content.

To get WiS content under CCP it will need to be meaningful.
For it to be meaningful it will need to have risk.
For there to be risk there needs to be single shard otherwise you just pack it out with your friends and alts and that risk vanishes.
Therefore even WiS will need to be single shard or it will be abused.

2 Likes

The CCP you’re talking about has no say in the matter. They are now a front for another company. They will do as their told by a corporation who’s model is selling loot boxes and dumbing down gameplay.

So, to get WIS under the new CCP, it will need be nothing more than slightly more income than without it.

2 Likes

CCP are still the developer. They just now have a parent company.
Stop talking rubbish about ‘fronts’.

Yes they are. And they will develop what they are told to develop. Period.

~ED~ Let’s say you built a really nice car and then sold it with the proviso that you get to still be the mechanic. Do you think you get to keep making the decisions? Do you think you get to veto it when the new owner says “Put a My Little Pony wrap on it”?

No. No you don’t.

What’s the point of buying something if you have no say over how it will be used and who it will now cater to?

2 Likes

GTAO have all of risk and it is not single shard. Of course you can get single player public lobby, but its rare. Craming alts isnt a thing. Friends? Well you can have nice party with all of them.

1 Like

Regardless of feasability and CCP’s desire to build something like WiS, I would love it. With all the clothing options we have, it makes a whole lot of sense. With the new citadel environments, there is a big potential to integrate it so it makes sense - not simply vanity-wise, but functionality-wise as well.

The way I understood it, the captain’s quarters were scrapped mostly because of the development cost of maintaining the system. Since they abandoned WoD, and with it the need to develop their own graphics engine, I wonder if using an existing graphics engine could be a solution. It would definitely cut down their in-house development needs.

2 Likes

With Pearl taking over this looks like more of a reality. Hopefully they do go through with it, EVE’s going to need alot more fresh meat

1 Like

It would be nice. Personally I think the EVE universe has a lot more to offer than anything Chris Roberts has dreamed of including in Star Citizen.

It would be great to see more of new Eden from new angles. Maybe Nova will provide this opportunity. Thought the phrase “lobby based shooter” makes me cringe a bit as it sounds a far cry from the sandbox we’re used to playing in.

Nova would seem to be WiS FPS, with weapons.

Afaik will feature station and ship interiors.

No hints yet of integration into EVE.

1 Like

If we base the called “integration” like it was done before…
We can forget it.

The captain’s quarter’s a nice chill feature. Unfortunately, they never fully implemented it.

But, them some will say: “it was a waste of resource!”

They already wasted years when they started to make it and stopped half-way, no one will want to spend time on a project that the devs abandoned, it was half done at best.

It would really be nice to have it back, but, I don’t think it’s gonna happen.

Well, when I started EVE we only had the picture. we didn’t even have a true 3D models.

Walking in Stations will be re-introduced, just not in EVE (yet). Project NOVA it is. Walking and even shooting in Stations, eh?

There will be some cold feet based on past experience from CCP… but on the other hand, there is a LOT of past experience at Pearl Abyss, so who knows.

The technology is very much there to make this happen, and it would add a new dimension to EVE gameplay at some point. “EVE is dying” has been repeated since 2003, but I’m thinking that 2018 may be a path to make that statement look more foolish than ever before. (As long as Pearl Abyss REALLY looks at CCP’s history and player history so that we don’t get another Incarna result. Part of why some folks unsubbed was because Incarna was burning out video cards)

It sure does PA is not into this sandbox crap, you can tell by the titles they buy.

/s