[ARC] Semiosis

As far as I understand it they are actively considering accepting the Rogue Drones working with them as free will sentient entities and even had some of them detached on their own assignments without direct control?

3 Likes

Suborned

I see it as Dread Saboteur. The Triglavians have determined rogue drones are sentient, are not “vermin,” and should be treated in a manner consistent with sentient beings. In pursuing the outbreak of rogue drones in our own space, the Amarrian Doctor Canius provides a link between the drones and “pre-Jovian weapon systems.” That is consistent with these drones representing an “opportunity/threat paradox” to the entire Triglavian civilization.

Although the threat is obviously the same for us, the opportunity would be as well.

Which… not only just means ‘bribed or coerced into a criminal act’, but doesn’t actually appear in there at all?

Its in other places. That was one the original statements concerned suborning the Rogue Drones and they really don’t use language in the way we do. So you can’t try to translate it word for word, its understanding the conceptualisation of what they are saying. I can read it perfectly but that is due to hours of practice.

And you can provide the contextual evidence for why their use of ‘suborn’ should mean reprogramming—forcible alteration of the drones—rather than coercion and bribery, as the means to gain their cooperation?

Not really, that’s my assumption that they could do that, given that they have already proven they can take over CONCORD secured systems quite easily. The datastream infers that they are experimenting with various methods.

‘Could do that’ and ‘are doing that’ are very different things.

I’m not going to argue with you any more, we will have to wait and see what develops.

Agreed… there’s still no reason to believe they intend to suborn the Rogue Drones, though.

But the idea of some being soborned and the rest extirpated, is really quite fascinating. Why? What makes some worthy of inclusion if they obey, and others simply too egregious to exist, and thus ‘vermin’?

This is… unknown. Perhaps there were simply limits to the number they could or would suborn, before this decision to accept them as sentient…

Perhaps they were struggling with bandwidth caps?

My current suspicion is that ‘vermin’ may refer to those drones whose sentience is below a certain level; if behavior is instinctual, reactive, with no display of cognition or higher learning capacity, they may be dismissed as vermin.

4 Likes

Update, pilots. Neo’etan reports considerable progress on the vessel we now know to be a Xordazh-class world ark.

[16:44:18] neo’etan > ship is built

We’re still working on confirmation video and pictures.

4 Likes

It is reasonable to conclude that the Triglavians were trying to reprogram the drones. The most recent communication even supports that conclusion. However, that is because it documents the policy being changed “according to moral norms applicable to sentients.” The Triglavians are in process of switching from coercion to cooperation.

Although processes has not completed for the Triglavians, it is unfortunate that our technical capabilities do not presently allow us to even begin it.

1 Like

Regarding “vermin”… has anyone got a comprehensive idea of what the last sentence of the data stream means? The mention of “vermin” therein gives me the idea that this sentence may indicate whether or not any Rogue Drones are excepted from their new classification as sentients.

I think with the video showcasing the ship there was little doubt that construction was completed.

Still, I’ll be here at the edge of my seat waiting to see the images.

So the Triglavians originally perceived rogue drones as loose automa and decided that they must accept command overrides - like recalling drones after going to warp and returning - or be destroyed, and now they have identified some drones capable of cognitive exception, and are changing their policies to reflect that… but does this mean all instinctive, space-animal-like drones will be extirpated, with the cognitive ones given a choice?

1 Like

That would be my first conclusion, but we ought to wait and see.

1 Like

As long as they aren’t corrupted, I would second that train of thought.

1 Like