Are all the capsuleers on IGS racist?

I am unquestionably a man with much to be thankful for.

2 Likes

That depends. Do you hate everyone? Because then you might be racist against everyone…

…or… nobody? If you hate every race, are you racist? Or does it even out and you’re egalitarian on the other side?..

I shall ask Doctor V.

You’re a lot racist? : - )

2 Likes

Well, it’s better to be a racist than egalitarian. At least racists, maybe in a bit criminal way, understand that people are never born equal.

But overall, hating something or someone will never make you a racist. As far as I understand the problem the racism connotes a criminal/illegal activity. And for activity to be a criminal/illegal, it shall have an underlying action - the activity itself. For example, murder of a human being, torture, and so on.

For example, the most vivid example of racism in our cluster - it is torture of Caldari POWs by Gallenteans. A typical example of one race torturing exculively another. Another example - their slogans to “Exterminate all Caldari”, burning of our historical sites, and so on.

And we, for example, we might hate gallentes for this, we might consider them filthy swines, we might have bars where we don’t let foreigners in - but we don’t commit any unlawful activity against them. So, for us it is not a racism, but a healthy xenophobia.

1 Like

I don’t know. There’s plenty of people who scream RACISM just because of some words they apparently don’t want to hear. Like, for example, encouraging people to kill Amarrians. Normal things, you know? Apparently that’s racism. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Don’t cut yourself on all that edge, dear.

1 Like

I have no idea what that means, but I appreciate any concerns about my well-being. :blush:

If you’re encouraging people to kill True Amarr on some basis like, “all True Amarr are slavers,” then yes, that’s racist, and more than that, it’s race hate. If you’re encouraging something like, “kill all Amarrian believers,” then you’re encouraging sectarian violence and that’s religious hate. If you’re saying something like, “kill everyone loyal to the Amarr Empire,” that would be encouraging political violence, and at least the hate there arises out of some actual differences in outlook that go beyond religious beliefs and genetics. It’s still probably not very constructive, but at least it’s not stupid in the same ways.

As for the original topic … I know Dr. Valate started this whole thing as a joke, but …

Caldari society cares, a lot, about bloodlines. The Deteis and Civire are both Caldari, but they have their own cultures within the State and corporate metacultures, and they’re largely taught to conform to those identities. Civire, for example, are taught that aggressive feeling is a tool to be used; Deteis are expected to be far more reserved.

How much of the differences between them is real, and how much is just … living up to what they’re taught to see themselves as being? I can’t tell. And it’s important, because it has consequences.

If I look at myself, half Achur, half Civire, culturally and religiously Achur by choice, but by blood neither this nor that … what does this mean? If I have aggressive impulses, spikes of anger-- is that my father’s blood speaking? He beat my mother to death in a drunken rage. That’s what Civire “focused aggression” means to me. And yet … it’s useful. If I use my anger constructively, am I then being my father’s daughter? Who would want to be daughter to a father like that?

Correspondingly, if I act rashly, and think, “that’s just the way I am,” for these same reasons, am I just excusing bad behavior with my blood?

I don’t know. I don’t know! … But it does seem like in the State, this kind of thing is expected of me. It might be that that’s why this is even an issue for me: the expectation. Lessons so internalized that I’m not aware I’ve learned them.

Anyway … yeah. I think probably most of us think of things a lot in terms of bloodlines and so on. And we’re bound to be making value judgments on those bases. And probably those ideas are misleading in some places. A lot of places. So maybe it’s better to just focus on the individual … only, there are also group tendencies, and groups who proudly identify with certain traits that can also be seen in a negative light.

Like Father.

I’m not even sure what I’m saying anymore. … Gods, what a nasty tangled knot.

4 Likes

I did start this topic as a joke, but I am not and have never been a slender blonde Sani Sabik philosopher. :wink:

2 Likes

Oop. Sorry.

2 Likes

What about “Kill the Amarr who practice, promote, or otherwise support the enslavement of those who don’t believe in their religion.”?

1 Like

Umm … facially political but seems like it can easily stumble into being more than that?

1 Like

I had a theory once lot of Caldari identity boils down to a single concept: Are you even a REAL fan?!

Or rather, are you even a REAL CALDARI?!

Because the Caldari State is first and foremost a capitalist society and everything must be commoditized and promote consumption – even identity.

As a worker in a corporation you must compete against every other worker in the company on the basis of merit. What is merit? Merit is what is good. What is good? The marketplace. How does the marketplace define what is good? If enough people say it’s good by buying into it then it’s good – argumentum ad populum.

It might seem rather arbitrary, and it is, about as arbitrary as good usually being defined as being Caldari, which is curated as being intrinsically tied to the Mega you work for. As such, to compete in society and be deemed meritorious one has to show just how Caldari they REALLY are at all times.

By totally investing oneself into the company brand as arbitrarily defined by the company via propaganda; by always buying only the brands and products the company makes and inviting people over to show them what a REAL Caldari you are; by watching your family, friends, neighbours, and coworkers at all times in case they display a lack of being a REAL Caldari (and report them for a lack of proper corporate fandom); and listen to the demagogues when they say only you’re a REAL Caldari and everyone else who says otherwise are just posers.

Fortunately, I recognized the errors of my adolescent rebellion with proper guidance in the youth cadres.

3 Likes

Dear Mr. Ignoramus!
The enslavement is neither illegal in Imperial law, nor constitutes something universally or morally unequivocally evil and thus can never be an excuse for taking anyone’s life…

…well, unless you’re an asocial murderous maniac, or a serial killer. Though, considering your overall combat experience, should I say instead a “misanthropic armchair cereal killer”?

Amusing one-dimensional point of view.

Instead of making a theory about Caldari, try to live with us… someday… maybe. It helps!

You just remind me about gallente fanbois, who would scream like “I wanna be Caldari!” “What should I do to become Real Caldari™”?
“There is only ONE WAY to become a Real Caldari and you should do exactly THIS, then you’re REAL Caldari”

Well, in Caldari society there’s no really a measure of each other “Caldariness”. If you’re a citizen of the State and don’t behave like a kakku, you most likely will be treated as Caldari. What Caldari do “measure” against each other, is being a REAL Heiian… or not being Heiian. And that’s definitely not about market.

1 Like

Pretty sure kidnapping is illegal in the Empire. So think of it this way: They kidnapped our people many generations ago. They have no problem charging those for the actions of their predecessors (as seen with generational slavery), neither do we.

1 Like

Well, I am not Amarr and I do not think it is correct punishing children for crimes of the predecessors, would it be from Amarr or Minmatar side.
I’ll still stick to Amarr side, just because they don’t just enslave children for crimes of parents, but children are born in slavery and are simply inherited their social status from their parents. That’s how their society works. Children of nobles are nobles, children of slaves of slaves. I can’t say it’s correct way of social organization, but it’s how their hierarchy is organized. And, trust me, better to keep hierarchy than trying to revise it and reorganize, it will only bring chaos and will destroy human lives.
If we consider the act of punishment is the act of enslavement, even in Amarr society it applies only to those, who commit crime. Or, think it like, taking from Holder as a punishment all his titles and his holdership. I think it’s quite obvious his children won’t become nobles anymore, right? And you won’t be judging or punishing them directly. It’s just a side effect of a system based on aristocratic ideals.

Children of slaves are slaves in the Empire because they are considered to have been guilty of the same crime: being Minmatar. And you have been told this by the Amarr.

3 Likes

I started the one about sausages.

2 Likes

And you wonder why damn near everyone addresses you with sarcasm and contempt…

2 Likes