As new player, it was the worst experience into a game i ever had

That is a fantastic post. You cover everything i experienced as a new user and many people just harass you when you are desperate to learn the game and know more.

But i want to communicate with you something far more complicated. The Corp System and Alliance system is broken. These are not the ways that players determine who is friendly and who isn’t and just making a corp does not put you on even footing with others. They use something of a color coded system to determine friendly targets. Because corps don’t like to be waged war against when doing pve content they hide their structures in shell corps. So the system is broken because you can’t attack the real owners as an attacker and your attackers can hide until they want to attack. CCP absolutely must fix this. Its an abuse. But as a new player you will be attacked by various people from a number of corps all in coordinated attacks. This is because standing color is used to organize multiple shell corps. Alliances mean nothing.

The fix is easy the standing system needs to be removed from corporations and no one can color another person (also red is a race color just fyi). Its used to discriminate against new users and insanely hard to get into this complicated network of interconnected corps. Then CCP need to make the Alliance system much more flexible and allow corps to enter multiple alliances formally that can be tracked by other players, so people know where they stand. They can still have a network of friendly players but without the system that excludes all new players.

Greetings mate… yeah the game is not very new player friendly. I used to have a corp aimed to guide new folks. I still have a discord server aimed to help new bros. Join that and feel free to ask anything

Really? You too watched some Youtube videos, thought you knew what you were doing? Bought a bunch of isk to fast skill up to a specific ship that you didn’t know how to use, and then got it concorded?

As said before yes EVE is very complex. And yes the tutorials lack lots of depth, (although again I don’t know how you could cover all the nuances of a game like this in any tutorial, at least one that people would take the time to go through).

However it is a failing strategy to try and bypass progression and pay your way into ships you don’t know how to fly.

And then you go on a rant about corps, and wardecs? how does that even fit into this guys new player experience?

5 Likes

For me the tutorials taught me one thing, the very minimal basics of how to fly, lock a target, and shoot at it. The career agent missions taught me that doing missions was boring, subject to bugs that prevented one from finishing them and that it was time to move on.
Eve is the tutorial, and it takes decades to complete. And for me, that is a huge part of it’s appeal, I will never be done, I will never win, and I will always be learning.

4 Likes

Moved this thread the appropriate section - some good advice from our veterans too o7

ISD Bahamut

6 Likes

3/5 Bazmesons.

Oops… Sorry, wrong game.

Well, OP should have been here 3 weeks ago. Pride is a bad advisor in EVE.

There was a point when I needed red saftey, that was when I was trying to rat using smartbombs just to get a feeling how that works. It was disappointing btw.
I was totally aware I might lose my T1 Dessie to CONCORD (which I didn’t). Now I still have a smartbomb Dessie with about 35 DPS…

3 Likes

Actually, no. He is kinda right. I have played this game for a LONG time and it is absolutely not new player or even casual player friendly in the slightest. It has what they would call PvE. but lets not kid yourself. It is completely PvP. You want to play PvE? Fine, but you will absolutely never progress in the game if you don’t, as anything of ANY value, ships, equipment, resources can only be found in low-sec/Null space. which is RULED by PvP or you can pay what little money you will be able to gain on the outrageous prices on market for them.
Want to explore? sure, but your gonna be ganked by a lowsec player cloaked in the area, waiting for you to look at that relic/data site.
Want to build? sure, but anything you make will require resources from lowsec space, where NPC mobs AND PvP players are waiting for you.
want to sit in 1.0-.6 high sec space. Sure, just don’t ever hope to acquire anything bigger or of value and you might as well not bother training skills on those bigger ships as you will never afford them let alone be able to get to the sector they are in if you buy them without going through low sec or spending countless hours travelling 46 sectors for somewhere 8 sectors away. Of course that assumes the final destination isn’t in low sec to begin with.

And don’t get me going on the complete and utter lack of training in the game. Its all sink or swim.

To do absolutely anything, you need to PVP and to be in a large Corporations (which will go to war, hence more PVP) but at least you might, just might be able to pull off playing and making some progress without loosing all your stuff. But be damn active as 95-99% will boot you if your not on at least 5 times a week. (sorry casual players)

No, he is absolutely correct, this game sucks for new players as well as casual players. Hell it sucks some time for experienced and intermediate players, but most of the time they are so invest they stick around and make multi accounts so it looks like more new players are joining, when in reality they are just alts for mining, crafting, or exploring off their sugar daddy main account.

Well, Eve technically has a steep learning curve, but only if you play solo and don’t make use of player made resources. In fact, didn’t Hilmar once say that playing Eve was kind of like climbing mount Everest? There was a time when reaching the summit was a huge accomplishment. But any asshole can do it nowadays thanks to sherpas, and the people that came before them. Same thing with Eve. You can find step by step guides for almost everything, which reduce most PvE activities down to a test of your ability to follow instructions. Sure, you can still learn by doing. But you don’t have to if you don’t want to.

Second, for better or for worse, PvP avoidance is a skill that can be learned. So, I disagree with the idea that you have to engage with PvP in Eve (unless you count running from it as engaging with it). Trust me, it is quite easy to avoid PvP once you know what you’re doing. In fact, this is something that many hunters in various areas of space complain about it.

Third, you can actually make good money in HS. In fact, a lot of null players have been PvE’ing in HS thanks to certain game changes and war creating a risk to reward ratio in null that many players didn’t find appealing.

Fourth, it’s stupid easy to be a casual in Eve if you join the right groups. I mean, there’s a reason why null bloc players are often referred to as F1 monkeys. They are told how to make money, what to train, what to fly, who to shoot, given SRP (and various other benefits), and spoon fed their content. Now, to be clear, I’m not saying that the nullsec life is for everyone. I’m just saying that many groups have figured out how to idiot proof Eve for their members. Thus, it is actually quite friendly to casuals, assuming you want to go the Forest Gump route, and do what others tell you to do. Of course, if you want to play solo/forge your own path, then things get decidedly harder.

All in all, I disagree with your assessment.

And, maybe at some point I’ll make a general guide on PvP avoidance. Until then, feel free to ask any questions you might have.
No P2W

4 Likes

Be aware that trading is PvP, too. Your offer competes against mine, and this way most prices are formed. So if it’s easy to get an item, it will be cheap by market logics.

You cannot hope for easy AND valuable content.

Perhaps you prefer “EVE offline”?

1 Like

I hate to stereotype, but I have a feeling the OP is korean. It is common for korean MMOs to be heavily pay-to-win and a lot of Koreans put down a lot of money into video games.

Unfortunately this isn’t like that. Its the difference between east and west I suppose.

1 Like

everything before

is there to hide the salt (just save some energy and get straight to the salting next time)…also its not like ccp would let you control who you chain lightning (btw lvl 1 in a skybreaker? why why in the everloving ■■■■ would you do that use like a coercer or something idk)

ccp isnt gonna bend to every little inconvenience…“oh no my ship is at 50% shield ccp give me the option to pay a dollar to instantly eradicate all the attackers from existence”

if they gave you enough insurance money to replace your ship completely people wouldnt mind dying and the demand for ships would be too high

what

Actually no, he really isn’t

I’ve already explained it further up but to reiterate briefly, the OP’s entire failure is in thinking they could buy their way into success.

If we take the OP at their word, there is no way they were flying that stormbreaker 15 days in without spending tons of isk on injectors. The OP tried to go big and failed big.

Yes this game is complex. Yes the tutorials only scratch the surface. The reality however is that’s all any tutorial for EVE could ever do. If you tried to make a comprehensive tutorial to cover everything you need to know in EVE you’d spend months, and it would be something nobody would actually take the time to use.

EVE has always been a game where you learn mostly through failure. If you do that as intended you lose small and bounce back.

Want to learn to fly? Start with cheap frigates, learn how to fly and fit and work your way up. PLEX your way into a high end ship and you WILL fail (A recent dual tanked marauder kill made me just shake my head).
Want to learn industry? Start making ammo and small stuff and work your way up. PLEX your way into capital building and realize you lost your shirt trying to make a profit because you didn’t understand the mechanics, that’s on you not the game.

Same goes for playing in the market or any other aspect of EVE.

I’ve played hard core and the last 4 years or so I play very casual. If you want to have fun in EVE it can be done at all levels.

6 Likes

Yes the tutorials only scratch the surface. The reality however is that’s all any tutorial for EVE could ever do. If you tried to make a comprehensive tutorial to cover everything you need to know in EVE you’d spend months, and it would be something nobody would actually take the time to use.

See therein lies part of the issue. Eve has a basic tutorial when you start and then drops the ball. It could consistantly and easily continue basic tutorials in the game through an extensive tutorial chain. Small missions which introduce the characters to the basics of pretty much EVERY SKILL and its uses. The developers just dont want to put the effort into it.

As soon as you buy a skill and train it to level 1, code could be sent to start a tutorial to either explain the skill, its uses and a play though on how it works with other skills. None of them would have to be long or extensive. But it would give them enough of a basic understanding.

Yeah, he tried to buy his way through the game. Unfortunately alot of people have. Some people are very impatient and want to get to the end game faster or be able to hold their own. I get it. I think most people at least empathize with it. Eve isn’t that kind of system, so he kinda messed up from the beginning, but that doesn’t mean he didn’t have valid points. (maybe not on whining about losing a ship he couldn’t have possibly understood how to use), but a player literally shouldn’t have to crawl through youtubes, wikis, and websites to play a game at a basic competitive level to not die countless times.

Because to put it bluntly, dying sucks and is usually the quickest way to lose a player in any game.
Eve’s biggest flaw (IMO) is not having a separate server where PVP is not allowed (outside of corporations and only if flagged as such) or only in null sec.

If they created that, I think people would be surprised on the amount of players who would switch to it and the amount of new players it would gather. I would easily throw away my years and ISK to go over to it, even meaning starting over again from scratch. Because personally I hate the PvP aspect of this game SOOOOO much, I would easily and willingly sacrifice a decade of work to avoid it.

I really like the game itself, I just over half the time hate the players. Every issue I have had playing is always a player issue.

EVE doesn’t have a “PVP aspect”. EVE has been PVP since day 1. PVE is secondary. Always has been, always will be…

5 Likes

Which illustrates the fundamental misunderstanding of the game. EVE was conceived from the beginning as a harsh unforgiving PVP centric environment. It is a core component of the game. Take it away and all other systems crash down around it. Without the cycle of construction and destruction the market would be flooded with product that nobody needs, as one example.

Another fundamental difference. I would bet the vast majority of true fans of EVE don’t consider dying sucks. They consider the ship they purchased already lost and whatever fun they can have with it until it blows up their “fun” EVE has some of the best PVP adrenaline rush of any game I’ve every played (and I am in mid life crisis territory so my gaming goes back to pong)

TBH if dying is so painful that it drives a player to quit EVE, fundamentally it probably isn’t the game for them. Sadly it is also a reason EVE has never gotten more mainstream. At the same time it has soldiered on now for 2 decades as a successful niche MMO.

5 Likes

Yeah, but it wasn’t conceived with the idea that a few high level corporations/players would essentially ruin the game for newer players. The current rendition of elite players running everything and walking over everyone else wasn’t the intention of the games creation. The intention is for all players to enjoy the game. That fact that so many quit means the design is flawed. It was also designed for players who didn’t want to PvP to have a place, which they really don’t.

I would add also a separate server would only add to the game. the only ones who would be against it would be the ones who prey on the players. It doesn’t take away from a PVP server to have a PvE server. If anything it increases the odds of the game going more mainstream.

Hordes of orcas ruining mining, markets will plummet, scamming still all around - reality can kill dreams within seconds. The grass is always greener on the other side, as soon as you reach this side, you’ll still need a lawnmower and start to miss things you’ve never thought of before.

4 Likes

The logic is flawed on several accounts.
1.) Primarily other games have gathering sustems and no PvP and the markets are fine.
2.) People will always have uses for the resources
3.) Many of the people “mining” are doing so to avoid the PvP aspect and make cash. If anything it will encourage those people to explore other zones.
4.) NPC mobs can be adjusted to deal with problems with out worrying that the AI (like players do) is lying in wait to gank a player.

If other games actually had failing markets without PVP your argument might have some weight it its be disproven many times over the decades that games have been out.

Overly broad statements are not useful. Show me the other games with zero PVP and a near fully player driven economy and we can compare.
In EVE the market needs destruction. Otherwise you will end up with a complete oversupply of materials/ships etc.
Yes players lose ships in PVE, but FAR less than in PVP. As a simple example my biggest PVE ships, my Freighter, jump freighter, and marauders are all at least 8 years old. I’ve never lost one, so I’ve had no need to replace them.

Citation? I’ve seen more posts from miners who state they mine specifically because it is a calm activity they can do while remaining semi active in the game. Not as an aversion to combat.

4 Likes