Best Games Ever

You can include MMOs if you like…but my list is essentially single player FPS and RPG games. Lets hear other people’s lists. Here’s my top 5…

1. Vampire The Masquerade :- Bloodlines…probably the best RPG ever. Very immersive and atmospheric. The ‘haunted house’ section is probably the scariest bit in any game ever…even outdoing the monsters jumping out at you in Doom 3. The ‘hubs’ in the game are a bit small, but they lead to some quite large mission areas. ( is it true CCP used to own this title ? )

2. Half Life. The original Half Life is to my mind still the best FPS ever. Even the ‘Black Mesa’ remake is not as good. Gordon Freeman and his trusty crowbar is an all time epic, and nicely atmospheric too

3. Fallout : New Vegas. Definitely the best of the Fallout series. Fallout 4 has amazing graphics but gets boring quite quickly.

4. Oblivion. In a choice between Skyrim and Oblivion, I’d go for Oblivion…with its far larger range of spells, weapons, etc.

5. Crysis. Probably the most enjoyable FPS that I have. Sort of…a much better version of the Far Cry games. The original Far Cry was fun…but this is a whole new level.

4 Likes

If it counts, god of war

1 Like

Witcher 3 WH, Cyberpunk 2077, any Legend of Zelda, Need for Speed MW/Underground

1 Like

Diablo 2
Farcry 2
Unreal Tournament 2k4
Hogwarts Legacy

oh, and EVE ofc…

1 Like

Besides EvE, the game I played through 4 times so far: Prey (2017).

I also played Black Mesa a couple times, last time when the final levels were added.

RDR2 and RDO are a masterpiece.

… and I would also add Deathloop to the list.

Beside that there are a lot of classic games which belong to the all time hall of fame:

Elite
Maniac Mansion
Zak McKracken
Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis
Most of the Monkey Island games

2 Likes

Freespace - Old school I know but it was what got me into gaming many moons ago

2 Likes

Homeworld
Total War II Rome
Attila Total War
Assassin’s Creed: Odyssey
No Man’s Sky
Star Wars Battlefront II
The Sims 4
The Guilds 2
Lords of the Realm
Ghost Recon
Age of Conan Unchained
Conan: Exiled
X-Men Mutan Academy
The Amazing Spider Man
Mount&Blade Warband
Mount&Blade Viking Conquests

2 Likes

Some of the best carnage I’ve ever created has been in Far Cry 2…driving around in one of the vehicles.

I know this thread implies PC games, but the best game I’ve ever played & finished was the 1994 release of Donkey Kong on Nintendo’s Game Boy.

Donkey Kong '94 is the predecessor of Super Mario 64. DK '94 starts like the original Donkey Kong, where you must rescue the damsel in distress, who is a woman named Pauline instead of the regular Princess Peach. After you defeat the original levels in the game, the antagonist ape of the same name of the game goes livid from rage and runs away, carrying away his prisoner through all sorts of geographical settings which Mario runs after the two. Each setting and its levels introduce new enemies & mechanics, which can be hard to master for someone who is not used to them and each level has a time limit, so the player must figure out how to pass the level quick. Many mechanics and abilities can also be seen in Super Mario 64. The game has more than 100 levels. The music for each setting is generally unique and in each level as you run low on time, the music gets faster and faster.

Those are the aspects that appealed to me more than all of the other non-PC video games in my life. The way they put everything in a single casette with early 90’s tech was really impressive.

1 Like

Fate Gates of Dawn
Fate: Gates of Dawn - Wikipedia Best rpg ever.

Morrowind
No stupid level scaling like in Oblivion where it is easier to beat the game at lvl 1 than on lvl 20 or higher.

EvE

Diablo 2 before patch 1.10, no Enigma and other stupid runewords

Starcraft Broodwar

Elite
Mother of all space games

Deus Ex

2 Likes

Not sure anyone would remember them, but…

Populous II

Sim City 2000

Black & White

Settlers II

Sindicate

Bounty Bob, Miner 2049’er

Supercars II

Nitro

Birds of Prey (flight sim)

F19 Steatlth Fighter.

Xenon 2 - Megablast

Deuteros

Starwars (Domark)
Empire Strikes Back (Domark)

Police Quest series

Gauntlet II

Arkanoid
Arkanoid II

Sorry mine are all retro, but I have found that gameplay back then was far superior to todays rendered, CGI-fest games.

3 Likes

1, Eve Online - One of the first few multiplayer space games ever, it was waaaaay ahead of it’s time in 2003, also made some cool friends which I had also never experienced before in a game, that counts for a lot.

2, Dead Space Trilogy - Best Sci-fi horror Game Ever

3, Elite/Elite Dangerous - Set the standard for all realistic space games, still running today and doing well

4, Gran Turismo 1 to 7 - Buy a normal road car, tune it up and race it, never been seen before in gaming

5, Dying Light - Wow, brilliant story and gameplay, played this throughout lockdown.

6, F.E.A.R - 1 to 3 - Great FPS games

7, Shenmue - Wow man, just wow.

8, Project Zomboid - Best survival game ever, realistic.

9, Warzone 2100 - Historic resource gathering game 1997/98, great story, purchased by fans and the multiplayer game is still going strong today

I could go on all day man, my gaming stations included;

Atari 2600
Vextrex
Amiga 500+
Sega Master System
Sega Megadrive
Sega Dreamcast
Super Nintendo
PC
Playstations 1, 2, 3, and 5

3 Likes

I’ve played way too many games to create a truly exhaustive and comprehensive list. Here are some of the best that quickly come to mind.

Doom II
Halo: Combat Evolved
Forza Motorsport 2
Tomb Raider (1996)
Terraria
Half-Life
Deus Ex
Delta Force: Land Warrior
Blood Wake
Descent: Freespace The Great War
Medal of Honor: Frontline
Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 (2009)
Red Faction
Duke Nukem 3D
XCOM: Enemy Unknown
F.E.A.R.
Alien Isolation
Alien Versus Predator Gold (aka AvP Classic 2000)
Fallout 3
Hitman 2: Silent Assassin
The Witcher
Tachyon: The Fringe

4 Likes

Age of Empires

Had played many hours, though only enjoyed in the ffollowing order.

AOE2
AOE3
AOE1
AOEO
AOE4

AOE 2 scenarios that we’re custom was my favourite and was a part of a clan leader of chaos using a lobby handle LOC_Iceacid

2 Likes

My top 5.

1. EVE online.

2. EVE online: Citadels.

3. EVE online: Havoc.

4. EVE online: Bloodlines.

5. EVE online: Into the abyss.

3 Likes

In random order, based on my criterium “have I replayed this over and over ?” - which greatly reduced my original list :wink:.

The Wheel of Time a.k.a. WoTMUD (a textMUD, 1993), based on Robert Jordan’s novels, and SlothMUD (textMUD, 1992). Nothing beats one’s own imagination over graphic mmo’s.

Gangsters (PC game, 1998). Guilty pleasure in experimenting with all sorts of crime.

Harpoon (PC, any version). Almost too realistic for comfort

Deus Ex series (PC).

Halo 2 (xbox, 2004). Pewpew.

Shogun: Total War (PC, 2000). Let’s try one more time with the geisha…

The Godfather (xbox, 2006)

L.A. Noire (PC, 2011)

Dungeon Keeper 1 (PC, 1997). Can’t believe I didn’t include this in the first place. Spank me !!

honorable mention for its groundbreaking aspect: Leisure Suit Larry in the Land of the Lounge Lizards (PC, 1987). Many a night with friends to try to get Larry what he wanted most !..

Going by your logic i should add the arkham series

I had Batman: Arkham City and Arkham Asylum on there when compiling the list. Both are great games I spent tons of time on, playing and replaying, just like I spent tons of time on Transport Tycoon and SimCity2000, or Scarface: the World is Yours, or House of the Dead for brainless pewpew, or any F1 racing title I came across, or Total War: Medieval, etc etc etc. I truncated the list more or less by limiting to what others hadn’t mentioned yet (with the exception of Halo), introducing a few different genres.
I spent far too much time gaming, and I regret none of it. There. Most of it is nostalgic anyway.
I have a big cardboard box with all my old games, the oldest of which came as 5.25" floppies. If I were to dig into that box, I’d probably come up with some more unexpected stuff, lol.

But to be really honest, in terms of online gaming, there isn’t a single modern graphic MMO that can compete with a cleverly written textMUD - my introduction to online gaming many years ago :smiley: Especially in combination with a well designed mud client like Wintin or CMud that you could write scripts for.

1 Like

Donkey Kong was available in PC form back in the 80s…along with Chucky Egg and several others. It was one of the first PC games I ever played, must have been 1983 or so…on a Dragon 32 computer.

1 Like

The very first game I had played on a computer was a text based that came in a code book that was written in basic that had to be hand typed in.

3 Likes