Botting Resources Thread - Everyone deserves 3 bil an hour!

Just to make it clear Botting is not allowed and it will eventually get you banned, Multiboxing is allowed so long as they are doing it within the EULA agreement.

CCP, and any other online gaming company for that matter, are purposely banning offenders in waves, months apart, this is to slow down the Botting Software development. The more frequent the Botting Software is caught and banned, the more the BOT developers will have data to adapt their software’s behavior to avoid detection.

1 Like

I know that is the party line, but there is no evidence of this. In the past, at least CCP loudly showed off their success on the war on botting and there was some sense something was being done. But it has been almost three years since we have seen a devblog or presentation on their efforts, and the anecdotal evidence has been piling up that basically nothing is being done anymore against bots. I myself have seen obvious and reported bots operate for years without obvious sanction.

Maybe this shared sense of inaction on the fight against bots is some social phenomenon and botting is no worse than it was in the past, but at the very least CCP has dropped the ball on communicating what they are doing and the successes they are having. Claiming that something is being done despite constant reports of bots everywhere - market, ratting, mining, missioning, so basically everywhere - isn’t really cutting it anymore.

4 Likes

The 2 are often the same, what I personally refer to as “partial” bots. In my time in this game I have literally met 1, just 1 person, that had the machines (PCs) and legitimately ran his entire fleet of 10 ships. Just 1 multiboxer that I would consider legitimate, full multiboxer. In addition to that, I have also met small multiboxers that often run just 2, at some points 3 toons, for example cyno alt + freighter, or scanning alt + combat ship for anoms, etc. other combinations as such.

Unfortunately, rest of them are all bots or using bots. Usually 1 person at the helm, actually playing just 1 or 2 ships, with whatever else number on autofollow with macroed or automated functions. They are most commonly found in nullsec ratting and mining fleets all the regions.

In addition to that there are a lot of AFK cloaky bots, usually parked by gates, but sometimes just in random spots and monitoring local chat that will auto send alerts either to external chat or directly to in game chat channels. Sometimes, they’re even present in wormholes nowadays, though much less so because of the need to move them around.

The high sec market bots have gotten so bad, that its almost no longer possible to make any good profit as a legitimate starting market player using trade / social skills. Those who have been doing it for a long time are in a better situation due to the amount of sheer total value they move around, even the bots can’t keep up with that. But if you are just trying to start out, and start dealing with some mediocre module type or a mid range hull, GFL with that.

Anyone interested can simply google for all sorts and types of bots and macros to get going.

1 Like

No need. If anyone in CODE or any other such corp/allaince or even CCP is intersted, all they have to do is take a flight through nullsec and check out the ratting sites, you have to be super stupid in order to actually not find bots.

In addition, you can do the same in high sec and check the mining fleets in 0.5 systems, then hop onto a market, pick some cheap or mid modules and start selling / buying and watch what happens.

Add to that players / character that log out only and exclusively for reset and remain online the entire rest of the time.

Well, technically speaking he’s correct. “Eventually” can mean anything from “in an hour” or “a week before the game goes offline for good”.

1 Like

With that tactic you give botters free hand to do their business undisturbed for months without the need of investing much in software updates.

And the more resources they have to put into the development with less time to get that investment back. → Making them less attractive.

1 Like

CCP is wrong on that I think.
They will always have this data, CCP only allows them to sit on their hands like CCP devs and break the game in process. People cant adapt to other people reporting bots, because botters to bot require special set of actions to occur repeatedly. When botter is there after 3 months then damage is already done. You have to protect the game, not botters (or yourself) from overworking. Baning every botter as fast as its possible, and not in waves would spread the word among these people that botting is not feasible in the game.

I still remember when I wanted to modify something in other game in a “wrong way”. Then GM contacted me on the second day with a news that I would better quit or i can say good bye to the account, I stopped and was astonished how fast it came and how ruthless this message was. I stopped caring about the cheating right away, I would say that game had the best tactic for dealing with cheaters. That is how you eliminate threat in a best way possible I think. Waiting for 3 months will not solve any problem, it will only delay your reaction and make you look like a slowpoke that nobody cares about.

3 Likes

I’m going to come at this from a ganker perspective…

If you give me X amount of time before Concord shows up… I can do the math and figure what I need to do the job, how much it will cost, and if it is worth it. Predictability = Profit.

Don’t keep doing the same for botters. Sure, ban in waves, but vary them, make them not know how long it will be. Right now it is months, so they look at it and go, I can make X… X is worth it because it will be months before anything happens; they can plan ahead. But if this time X is 2 weeks, and next time it is 12 weeks or 8, now they don’t know, and be very public about it when the bans go out. It isn’t like they can suddenly spawn a fully useful account in an instant, it all takes time and/or money (or hacked accounts) and this is an investment on the botters part… set an environment where they are unlikely to get good ROI.

And yes, the bot code makers will adapt, but they probably already have iterations of their programs mostly ready to go. All based on how they figure you will catch them this time. It is unlikely the problem will ever go away, but at least, can we add more uncertainty in the plans?

2 Likes

IBP
before purge, removal, deletion, other, etc

or is getting evidence

You might want to consider making 3rd party application which can be approved by the community instead of , perhaps, working against it to some nefarious goals.

Just a thought.

completely unnecessary.

CCP could hire 2-3 people with the proper authority and these bots could simply be account and IP banned within minutes/hours of simple in-game observation. Just some easy proactive visual monitoring.

Why is this thread still open? Have the forum moderators also been fired?

… and 3 min later the botter has a new IP and continues botting. IP bans achieve nothing.

After n-th time botter gives up and moves to an easier game to bot in. The thing is to ban as fast as possible. Not waiting for next wave. :call_me_hand:

2 Likes

CCP is incompetent that’s why boting is allowed.Their GMs don’t invest time to actually watch the bots at work draw a simple solution and ban away.If you have one player or set of players performing an action for 18 hours a day without break for a week how is this not a bot?
If the problem is simply manpower form a volunteer group that’s supervised by devs or gms and give them the task to observe the boters,record their actions and the devs/gms can do the swift banning after.
However provide these people with feedback of why this guy was banned and another wasn’t.
You could even add minor rewards such as plex,commodities,clothing,titles,medals whatever not balance breaking as rewards.

1 Like

Not sure how related the two are or how much one supports the other decision but in case of Steam the Valve Anti-Cheat system (VAC) uses the same approach of delayed bans to prevent cheat developers to get instant feedback on how reliably VAC can detect their cheats and to catch more people who use the detectable cheats as users can not be sure if they were added to the ban list of the next ban wave due to the lack of instant feedback about their exploits.

Not sure if the same is the right answer in case of EVE just thought it is not without example that this system is preferred over the insta-ban method.

i do not know the name of the tactic, but it is easily described as “letting people blow off their steam until they’ve sufficiently calmed down, so we can make them talk about other things again.” it is a common technique of crowd control and usually works, though sometimes - like with ghost training 2.0 - it fails.

This tells me that there hasn’t been a sufficient amount of people unsubbing about it, which is the only thing that actually matters. from the governmental body’s perspective, CCP, there is not enough momentum left to need to care about it, but it is possible that some sort of statement will still happen.

It seems that, unless reddit keeps it up, this whole thing will be forgotten in a week or two. Quite saddening…

1 Like

Time to destroy the Jita monument… again, I suppose? :stuck_out_tongue:

Meaningless by itself, it served as a multiploer to spread the masses. Starting now is too late, though, as there doesn’t seem to be enough momentum left anymore. Quite saddening indeed, how weak our community has become. i have zero hopes that reddit will keep it up long enough, but there’s a chance, of course.

the forum community, though, is pretty much dead. we could achieve a lot together, but instead everyone wastes his time with whining botters, rmters and carebears. It’s shameful…

Yes pretty much this is why I wrote what I did. The last one I witnessed myself was the one percenters protest or whatever it was its official name and as far as I can tell it was meaningless and achieved nothing so the next one is expected to bring even less results to the table as people left during and ever since… at least according to what some people say.

i don’t understand what you mean to say.