Bumping

“If you could fire a frigate at the speed of a railgun round, then you would have a solid weapon”

No… then you would have a Doomsday Weapon.

You’re firing a single Railgun round at the speed of a railgun round, from a weapon mounted atop a Frigate.

If you could get the Frigate itself going that fast, the Force of the blow would be exponentially more powerful.

Again, Force = (Mass) x (Velocity). If you increase either, you increase the overall Force. Make a bullet faster, or bigger, and it will hit harder than before.

0.01 kg bullet x 50,000 m/s = 500 “Force”

0.1 kg bullet x 50,000 m/s = 5,000 “Force”

1,148,000 kg Impairor Corvette (b/c it looks the most like a bullet) x 50,000 m/s = 57.4 Billion “Force”

Your “solution” solves nothing. Maybe 1% of the populace care about Bumping someone near a Gate. It really doesn’t matter there, since you only need proximity to activate the Gate, not alignment. And the only ships affected by being Bumped away from the Gate are the stupid autopilot Freighters who came out 15km from the Gate and wanted to slowboat the rest of the distance.

Bumping is far more effective as keeping someone from running away from a fight. They keep trying to align and gain speed towards some distant Celestial, and you keep knocking them back and to the side. They can never get aligned, they can never get 75% speed, and thus they never warp. It’s like a free Warp Scram. And your Gate bubble nonsense will do nothing for it.

You’d still have players whine about getting bumped off station and in belts…

Hey, CCP, can we go ahead and make a single Bump Thread and a single Gank Thread like the AFK Cloak Thread so we can just put all this crap into one post and stop the 1000 whine threads every week about it?

3 Likes

I don’t think any corvettes in EvE can go 50,000 m/s I don’t think any ships sub warp can.
I found a link showing the top speeds of ships in EvE but it is from 2013 and might be pretty far out of date.

It appears the maximum velocity attainable with max skills and best items is right under 6,000 m/s with a Dramiel Frigate, but it only has a mass of 950,000 k/g (but that could be wrong).

So again, like I said, a corvette would collapse into the side of a shielded/armored freighter like a leaf.

Recently a U.S. Destroyer impacted with a freighter in the ocean and the freighter took some very minor damage and some paint, but the Destroyer had casualties, and the entire cabin nearly bent over and it had to be towed to dry dock for massive repairs.

1 Like

I don’t know why fouling a prop isn’t a criminal act. It should be easy to code out accidental bumps from intentional bumps.

No, it’s not that easy, else it would have already been done. Long story short, bumping has been a part of EVE for 15 years. Read that again. 15 YEARS. If CCP thought something needed to be done about it, it would have been done by now…

And that’s why you should stay in school kids… You completely missed the point of my math lesson.

You’re saying that a Frigate striking a ship will only hurt itself, unless it could be going as fast as a bullet.

Whereas I’m saying a bullet striking a ship will eventually kill it. And a ship going as fast as a bullet would annihilate it.

If a 0.01 kg bullet is going 50,000 m/s, it does 500 “Force” of damage. So keep that in mind. 500 “Force” means you’re hurting the target.

And if you could get a much larger 0.1 kg bullet going the same 50,000 m/s, it will do 5,000 “Force” of damage. So remember that 5,000 “Force” means you’re hurting the target a hell of a lot.

Well, in order to get a 1.148 mil kg Corvette to deal 5,000 “Force”, it only needs to be moving 0.004 m/s. Speeds that slow won’t even register on your speedometer in the game. You’re basically standing still next to the other ship, and your collision will do as much damage as a BS railgun round.

If you could possibly get the ship up to the aforementioned 50,000 m/s, the same speed as the railgun rounds are going… it will do 57.4 BILLION “Force” of damage. That’s like shooting them with 11 Million BS railgun rounds at once.

Do you see where this is all going?

If you really want to get into collision physics and math, do try to keep up. Because the numbers are going to get real fucking big, real fucking fast. And if you can’t keep up now, then shut up because you clearly don’t know what you’re talking about. =)

How fast do you think a bullet is traveling, if you can press F1 and immediately see damage on a ship 50 km away? The bullet traveled those 50 km in less than a second. Which means 50,000 m/s (otherwise known as 50 km / s) is actually a very slow moving bullet.

So shut your smart ass mouth if you aren’t going to contribute something intelligent to this conversation.

Lol CCP okay…CCP has a great track record of fixing simple things…not.
Right click…approach…bump…suspect timer…not difficult

I smile when i read stories about realism in a game that happens 26000 years un the futur.

3 Likes

Programmed by people still living 20 years in our past.

1 Like

No bumper that knows what they are doing right clicks on a ship and selects approach…

1 Like

Yet plenty do it…I’ve heard it countless times on DC and TD

you can actually get a vagabond up to 32km/s

I have seen a friend do it…
bumping orcas, 1 hit 500-800 km travel range depending on it being a solid hit or a glancing blow

Bumping is also the only recourse we have against high sec bot mining fleets, unless you happen to have your own personal 300 ship ganking fleet on at a moments notice…

1 Like

haha my advice would have been to quote newton’s second law correctly and actually do the math instead of lazily dropping “force” as the answer …

why don’t you come back after you’ve done the math and tell us all what “force” = …
use those big numbers if you must . we ain’t scared …
and may the

be with you …

I see it’s time again to remind you of my favorite future change, that will probably never come. :slightly_frowning_face: At 51:42.

1 Like

Would it make any difference? The point wasn’t to calculate physics involved, it was to demonstrate the physics that would need to be calculated.

We already use arbitrary numbers to represent damage. That’s why I put “Force” in quotes. Because it’s just a number and a name to show how hard a slow moving ship could hit compared to a fast moving bullet.

Why not stop being pedantic, and contribute meaningfully to the conversation. Or else, sod off.

2016 :frowning:

I wonder what happened to those implementations?