Caldari Prime and the Legion contract

I have to be honest, the destruction of Home used to be utterly unthinkable until Heth put it on the table by ordering it done by Admiral Yanala. Now that the box is open, one could say that the sterilisation of Home would remove the need for conflict and tension with the Federation - thus freeing the State from the burden of that - but only if the State’s loss was balanced by the destruction of the Gallente homeworld as reprisal.

Frightening to consider - but I warrant there are those on both sides of the border who are considering it as we speak.

2 Likes

Oh, believe me, Pieter, I thought of all of that, too. One of the things I respect most about the State is that commitment to not being the aggressors. But let’s face it, I was responding to someone who isn’t just willfully ignorant of diplomatic considerations, but actively hostile to them.

Also: good to see you again, been wondering if you were on sabbatical.

2 Likes

Don’t think of it as being at war. Think of it as nations with deep-seated resentments and a history of bloodshed funneling those tensions and malcontents into a controlled outlet. It’s a pressure-valve, to keep things pleasant everywhere else. At the same time, it provides a sustained baseline of industrial demand, combat experience, and operational field testing for each empire’s economy and military. It also serves the popular culture, merchandising, entertainment (holo series about the militias, etc) and tribalist (small ‘t’) functions of a major sporting league—except it puts the entire nation behind the same ‘team’.

So, yeah. If you want it to make sense, don’t think of it as a war. Think of it as a skinner box, where the violent ultra-nationalists (again, lower-case, not referring to any particular group) can be channeled into predictable behaviors that ultimately don’t have any long-term impact at all, and serve the purposes of those who want stability and peaceful relations everywhere else.

6 Likes

I am kind of on sabbatical - but you know how discussion of Caldari Prime drags me out of the woodwork!

3 Likes

Evacuate both planets, burn the whole system to the ground (or use Upwell equip to make chunks of everything and split the raw materials equally) and each go on their merry way to find new things to complain about.

1 Like

Fair enough. Also, you should come off sabbatical and come make ridiculous sums of money for a while. Give it six months, you might be able to buy Caldari Prime from the Fed!

1 Like

Thus speaks the famous private contractor - my line of work has never been all that well paying!

1 Like

So you can fix that!

1 Like

That is a borderline Gallente propaganda, Ms. Jenneth.

We all know that the titan was placed there to guard the planet from gallenteans, not attack them. We all know what from, because, again, we all know that it were gallenteans who bombarded our planet. And we all know that we didn’t bombard their homeworld.

We have little to no interest in Gallente Prime, but even operation Highlander shows how these greedy invaders want our homes.

We shall put to shame everyone who dares to say that CN Shiigeru was a “threat”.

Well, it’s a matter of historic record that it was ultimately a threat to Caldari Prime itself, though, Ms. Kim.

If Admiral Yanala hadn’t refused to fire, shared rule of Caldari Prime really wouldn’t have been an issue.

True?

1 Like

Don’t bother. She will only ever see her perspective.

1 Like

She doesn’t have her own perspective, only the one she was issued.

2 Likes

False.

I have no information on records of Caldari committing something that damaged Caldari Prime or Gallente Prime - except Adm. Tovil-Toba sacrifice (and that was for the sake of saving lives, not destroying them). But there is a record of gallente bombardment of Caldari Prime.

I repeat, CN Shiigeru represented no threat - unless attacked (it damn should have been). But and as we saw, CN Shiigeru wasn’t a threat even when it was attacked… for shame.

Thus any claims of her “threat” is nothing but blatant gallente propaganda. Shameful and unintelligent propaganda.

Fact: Shiigeru crashed into the surface of Luminaire VII.

Fact: Shiigeru’s impact caused extensive environmental damage, both in the form of permanent impact craters large enough to be visible from orbit, and in the massive atmospheric phenomena that followed. These phenomena include an atmospheric firestorm, a concussive blast that collapsed buildings in the city of Arcurio some 700km away, and a dust cloud extending far enough in all directions that the city was engulfed.

Fact: The concussion wave alone presented a potentially fatal danger to any residents of Arcurio who were unlucky enough to be outside when it passed.

Fact: The following dust cloud constituted a breathing hazard, especially mixed with the rubble and airborne particulate from collapsing buildings, for days.

Fact: The Caldari Navy’s investigation confirmed that during the Shiigeru’s plummet towards the plant, before the ship was rendered catastrophically destroyed, Yanala had shut down “all volatile systems on board, including the heavily damaged propulsion system, rendering them completely inert before the ship broke apart in orbit. Additionally, the doomsday device had been taken offline several minutes before, not only preventing it from firing but also preventing it from entering an active cooldown phase.” According to the Caldari Navy’s examination, Yanala’s actions prevented the extermination of all life across Luminaire VII, which otherwise might have occurred had certain components of the Titan exploded upon impact and claimed millions of lives, while rendering Luminaire VII uninhabitable.[1]

Fact: Had Shiigeru not been in Luminaire, it could not have crashed into the surface of the planet following catastrophic damage.

Shiigeru crashed into the planet. In doing so, it killed a whole lot of people and generally destroyed a whole lot of stuff. It could not have done this if it were not present. The potential damage could have been considerably worse, up to and including the complete eradication of all life on-world.

That means it presented a danger to all life on Caldari Prime. You need not threaten in order to be a threat. You need not be the party responsible for the damage you end up inflicting. You are still a potential danger, i.e. a threat.

2 Likes

Fact: by gallente’s attack.

But a nice overall gallente bootlicking. How’s the aftertaste? Was worth gallente money?

Hmmm. It’s certainly tempting to stretch my wings a little.

Sadly I know little enough of the players and politics out in the deep dark.

1 Like

If I drop a vase onto something fragile and the vase breaks both the fragile thing and itself, is the vase to blame?

Safeguarding the planetary population from the potential threat posed by Shiigeru by, you know, blowing it up and dropping it down the gravity well is a bit like stopping your child from drowning by flash firing the water said child is in to vapourisation point.

When you inflict a state change on something and that state change is directly responsible for mishap, then you bear a huge chunk of responsibility for that mishap.

Operation Highlander demonstrated that, once again, the only body of people that the Federation will allow to slaughter Federal citizens is the Gallente Federation.

1 Like

I shan’t pretend to know what the ultimate intentions where of the Caldari navy. I suppose it is true that their Titan only occupied Caldari Prime and was not the aggressor in the conflict that destroyed it.

Although it was the aggressor in the incident that triggered it. Furthermore, it did occupy a planet in the same system as Gallente Prime, so it’s hardly surprising the Federation would attempt to destroy it pretty much the moment an opportunity presented itself.

As far as the actual damage is concerned, Admiral Yanala was a hero. Of course military action over Caldari Prime led to collateral damage, as it has done on other worlds. Unfortunately that’s rarely a reason not to do it.

1 Like

Yes, after catastrophic damage. You’ll notice I said: “You need not be the party responsible for the damage”. No-one is saying the Gallente aren’t responsible for the devastation, you colossal tool. Only that ultimately, Shiigeru represented a threat to all life on Caldari Prime.

1 Like

Not much need to know them, either. Standings take care of knowing who’s who, and as for politics… it’s a bunch of idiots who’ve been shooting at one another for a decade continuing to shoot at one another. Much like any other long-term conflict between distinct groups of people, there are grudges on both sides from prior flare-ups.

2 Likes