Caracal nerf, why?

A bigger head just means more empty space, though.

1 Like

In this case the Caracal > Frigates but

Yet not once have I seen anyone screaming for a nerf on these forums, so who exactly has been crying to CCP and the CSM? (we can guess)

I’ll bet it’s not mission runners as the reload times make doing those a pain most of the time. So when they nerfed the hell out of the load times a few years ago I simply switched to laser boats.

1 Like

It’s players like you that cry and cry until you screw other peoples game over, well $£%£$^££ done…

How does the absence of an outrage indicates the absence of a problem ?
Especially with the toxic mentality in the forum.

3 Likes

Because if there’s no obvious outrage on the forums, where has it come from?

Not only a lack of outrage, there’s a lack of complaints at all, maybe there’s a slight gripe hidden somewhere but nothing to trigger this.

So it’s been done behind closed doors where nobody could get wind of it and object before it’s implemented, which stinks.

If the CSM was involved without saying a word to the general player base then you can bet that the NullBlocs are involved.

1 Like

Why should YOU know of it ?

Why do you pretend that something you don’t know does not exist in the first place ?

You don’t know.

You don’t know either.

It’s fine to ask questions when you don’t know. It’s not to pretend you know, when you don’t. Argument from ignorance are not acceptable arguments.

Not when it comes to ship balance. The guys who run for CSM every time with their pet ship balance concerns are invariably small gangers…

2 Likes

This change was likely the request from FW guys, not null.

I’ve been around this game long enough and talked to hundreds of players at meets and Fanfest to know how these things work.

Regardless of whether it was the Nullblocs or FW that complained, it was done out of sight of the general player base with not a word from the CSM who are supposed to represent the player base as a whole.

But regardless of all that, they can nerf whatever they like but one thing is true in every single game, another will rise to take it’s place, until that in turn is nerfed, then rinse and repeat because there’ll always be one top dog.

BTW, the last mention after doing a search was in Sep '22, asking for a buff lol.

1 Like

While I do agree with the nerf done, I also do give you a point for being angry that such changes are not communicated before implementation, so a solid discussion at the official forums can take place and maybe bring arguments on the table that are reason to tweak the planned changes one way or another.

1 Like

Don’t see the what the drama is about, most frigates will still engage below 42km, and if they did they don’t have the targeting distance to support it. If you want the old range you’re going to have to spend on hydraulic bay thruster rigs, which were often ignored.

1 Like

to believe you know.

They are not supposed to be told everything.
Though I totally agree that it would be better for at least some of them to be told about and asked their opinion.

Then all of a sudden CCP releases a bunch of buff.

I have never once cried on any forum about RLML. I’ve accepted them and dealt with them as best I can.
I didn’t ask for this minor nerf to them, but I’m glad it’s happened.

2 Likes

To me, this nerf feels more like “tone things down because they are overused” vice “tone things down because they are too strong”

I personally believe that the core issue at hand is the execution of the “rapid (size - 1) long range missile” modules, across the board.

From the rapid torps, to the rapid heavies, to the rapid lights.

Their abilities to devistate ships smaller than them with relatively high application and high burst combined with incredibly low fitting space and having maybe 20% sustained damage loss compared to the short range size missile of the class is very strong – which makes the Bhargest and Orthus incredibly oppressive vs ships one size smaller in particular. It is those modules across the board that should’ve been looked at, perhaps giving them a chunk of application penalty (exclusively in explosion velocity) and some flight speed penalties to get them near to the range of the short range missile for the ship’s size.

The Caracal being the go-to newbie ship for 90% of nullsec… sure, that is sort of a problem. But the reason for that is a lot more on the side of nullsec being lazy and copying each other for newbie doctrines, and with the main requirements being frigate weapons and a few days to Caldari Cruiser 4… it is easily one of the most accessible ships that are suitable for cruiser fleet doctrines for alpha accounts with very minimal training needs.

The nerf to the hull is both unnecessary and fails to address the main reason why it is so popular, which means that its popularity really won’t change.
This approach by CCP to assume ‘popularity in use’ as a metric to be used in lieu of the ship’s performance for balancing the strength of the ship is very flawed, and really is the core issue that needs to be brought to their attention.

2 Likes

If Alpha use is the driving force behind this in any space then remove it, problem solved. Rather than go about punishing the whole playerbase again…

Why are bigger ships not allowed to dominate smaller ships?

1 Like

it’s a complex notion called “balance”.

If you don’t understand it, give up on the idea of having meaningful opinion.

The main thing that was nerfed was the range of RLML, they are still strong against frigates but they need to be in a range where those frigates can at least fire back…allowing frigates to have some counterplay.

I’m not convinced there was a problem.

1 Like