Carbon...Uh...Neutrality?

Several. They were hunted down and jailed for the crime of trying to live in a way that didn’t involve paying taxes as well as trespassing on government owned land. Either you live like a serf or you kill yourself, these “other options” are tyrannically stamped out and the results left as a warning to all others who dare think to attempt such a thing.

Unable or unwilling? I’m betting on unwilling

Yes, it was slated to fail from the beginning of the industrial revolution.

The future is also in part up to us.

No one man can predict the future, not even as close as next week.

Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence. We as humans remain incompetent in environment we ourselves create!

You would have to find a solution, and we know what worked. We dont yet have technologies that will make your smarthone grow on trees. I am willing to see one, but it would be probably simpler with you resigning from smartphone. You are not born with one, and that is a clue.

We will all be naturalists and environmentalists, if we want it or not. We are already concerned with our current environment destroyed by our own actions, that cant be ignored.

I ascribe malice to malicious people, as they’ve been demonstrating for the past several centuries.

Finding solutions is one thing, convincing the ennemies of humanity that 3/4 of the world’s population don’t have to die to accommodate a dubious imagined utopia is another thing.

Especially when smartphone technology wasn’t made to accommodate us, despite the claims made with fancy soothing words.

That’s the best scenario that can come out of this mess. Yet, again, no one knows the future.

1 Like

There is no utopia, only reality of environmentally friendly civilization, and it happens unwillingly, like an earthquake. Sooner or later.

We may create environment in which we will be able to be happy. Without current technology, but with technology of last or future, but we dont go anywhere from this planet for some time. We may use mechanisms to explore universe, but our place is here on this planet.

I will call it “utopia” until it actually happens. If there’s a constant in Man’s history it’s his propensity to f- things up for gain and vanity.

We’ll see. I’ll believe it when I see it.

… or create an environment where people wished they were in hell rather than on earth. I see that coming more than the utopia you describe. Then again, maybe the former is needed before the latter can take place.

Space will be explored for profits. They’re already readying to exploit asteroids for rare ores.
But you’re right, planet earth is all we’ll have for quite a few hundreds of years, supposing we don’t blow up each other to smithereens before that.

One of my main concerns is that Earth’s population has more than doubled just since I was born. It isn’t so easy to go back to the lifestyle of the 1800s. People needed a lot of space to live that way.

Most of those people will have to do with even less than their parents.

For sure. We cant make rocket fuel out of people tho.

Anything going into space and operating there would have to use fuel and materials gathered outside planet earth. Earth being only an eden planet, and it would be forbidden to do any industry here on such galactic scales.

Not necessarily. Not if there is a dramatic step-change in human population.

Earth is pretty big. More people is just an energy question.

Growing food is pretty challenging. Trying to use marginal areas makes it even more challenging. The energy use for growing food in Siberia (where there is plenty of room) would be several orders of magnitude greater than growing food in Greece, for example.

Well maybe they will have a warm climate in the next couple decades

After a while sure but for now it’s all from this planet.
The materials used leave little trash since it either orbits the earth, burns up on reintry or is reused and the fuel is spent with less environmental impact than a mobile device factory or the fashion industry.

I’ll believe it when I see it.

There’s only one thing about global warming and actions regarding it of which I am 1000% certain. The rich will be least affected.

LOL… we’ll see about that, I guarantee you.
I wouldn’t want to be in their shoes when it’s time to pay up and face up.

What do you mean? What bad thing could possibly happen to the plutocrats?

@Xeux
Let’s just say I’m completely nuts now and save everyone a lot of time posting about the topic of your question.
I’ve been done explaining all that to whoever wants to hear for 20 years. People will believe whatever they want to believe until reality stares them in the eyes. Then it’s too late and I laugh.

I have been very right about bad stuff in the past. I found that my moment of laughing and “I told you so” was very brief and not very enjoyable.

Mine will certainly be the same, bittersweet. But I won’t shed a tear for the current system of things.

No one is disputing this part bruv.

I sure hope you’re trolling and don’t actually believe this. Cause that’s just sad LOL.