CCP Games Signs Deal To Use Unreal Engine 4 for Its Next Projects, Including An Action MMO

These are joysticks:

What you mean is this:

Gamepads.

Joysticks …

… are for men. The above is an actual advertisement from years long past. : - )

If the image does not help understanding, consider this:

Look at how a joystick looks like …
… now look at how a gamepad looks like.

Based on their respective forms it would be valid to claim that they both target a specific sex and mirror certain anatomical attributes. The gamepad* is just less obvious to recognize as such … for obvious reasons. : - )

*(also often referred to as game controller, to make it sound like they are “in control” while they need aim assistance to deliver headshots)

4 Likes

I am not fully convinced CCP needs to care about the digital whereabouts of their customers as long as they are customers … though at some point one or more CCP devs mentioned something about having different games related to EVE to get people to try EVE as well, because EVE’s the actual hooker … if i may write so. : - )

I see dangers behind a different approach. The amount of people EVE deserves will be far less in an action game, compared to a puzzle game that demands brain more than pure reaction.

Give CCP five more years to “remove unneeded complexity” and any notion of EVE ever having required a brain will be gone. It doesn’t really make sense for a game to require thinking in a society that becomes increasingly incapable of that, now does it?

I have hope that the Activity Tracker will allow me to dive deep down into realms of un-argumentable arguments, where actual data opens up the door for countless opportunities for creating and forming the players’ behaviours …

… leading us to victory eventually. : - )

Though there is the danger that …
… first they cause a massive influx of “modern” players …
… and second that CCP looks for data revealing how to control and steer them.

So instead of looking for natural behavioural patterns allowing for the creation of game mechanics around said patterns, they would be looking at “the status quo” they themselves caused, drawing conclusions which would likely end up being rather problematic.

There is the danger that all the smart people are being driven out …
… because the not-so-smart people can be controlled well enough.

Ugh, I don’t. I want it to be a full blown PC game that is designed for 4k from the ground up with 1080p barely running. This way it will have some actual future, instead of having crap for UI like we got here, and thats just for starters.

I mean … phones, refrigirators, appliances … just cause they can run some sort of oddball android or linux … screw that.

I get you want more bling, on the other hand, you can have PI information everytime you open the refrigerator to get a cold beer and can adjust the factories accordingly (but not collect the stuff in space duh) without going to the PC, putting on the VR headset, accidenlty walking into your TV and destroying it, etc… :wink: Then you make coffee and see your skill training is done and can adjust accordingly! :slight_smile: No more getting out of bed at night to change stuff, just tap the phone/tablet a little for basic things we could aswell do in station. Compertamentalizing is a great thing. The Titanic has such a system in place, and it was rammed by another ship just when they left port, and thanks to the compartiments they didn’t have to return to port and sailed safely to New York…

They’ve attempted to diversify about 6 or 7 times now, each time a monumental failure for the most part. Maybe they should just go into some other business like bathtubs, plumbing or flat pack furniture? I can guarantee you they’ll make more money selling Icelandic made flat pack furniture than any videogame they’ll make.

5 Likes

At the rate of failure of their game projects they’ve spent so much money on, CCP would probably make more exporting that Iceland rotted shark meat delicacy most of the rest of the world wouldn’t like, also.

1 Like

In 2017, Iceland’s trade deficit amounted to around 2.51 billion U.S. dollars

Icelanders are bad at exports overall.

2 Likes

There’s always fish!

–Gadget looks forward to the new Cod Wars

At least Epic are competent, CCP cannot be trusted with another license alone.

I’m no expert at all, not in CCP industry so of course take what I say with a grain of salt.

But even as a layman it seems to me that CCPs mistake is and was trying to be too conventional. The succeeded by filling a very specific niche (spaceship MMO) in some very risky and unique ways (open, fully connected single shard world, harsh-meaningful death penalty, universal non-consensual pvp, relatively lax code of behavior that allows things that would get people banned in most other games)

Then they follow that up with what? An attempt at a vampire game (jumping on some tweeny twilight-ish bandwagon), an FPS game (jumping on the FPS bandwagon) that was supposed to connect to EVE but never fully did, a “dog-fights in space” VR shooter (jumping on the VR bandwagon) that didn’t go anywhere, and some odds and ends stuff like Sparc and Gunjack.

It’s like they score big with a garage game then abandon the ideas that made it successful in an attempt to go mainstream. I was reading an article about one-hit wonder musicians and couldn’t help but think of CCP. Nothing else they’ve made has felt like “wow, you can tell CCP made this”. And it’s like they put a lot of love into the making of EVE, but everything that came later was ‘just business’.

2 Likes

Why ccp can not do something good and why ccp can not make a step ahead and improve Eve online? The answer is simple. Thorolfur Beck created Eve online and his vision of will and technical knowledge is the cause of Eve’s online success.

Without such visionaries and experts as Thorolfur Beck ccp can not make a good game and is sentenced to failure.

3 Likes

its really funny how negative most people are here
guys … if you hate CCP and/or EVE that much … why are you here?
when EVE isnt as good as it was 10 years ago … why are you here?
when CCP killed everything what was good in EVE … WHY ARE YOU STILL HERE???

i really dont get it … everything is bad … everything sucks … everything is ugly … still guys play

PLEX is to cheap … PLEX is to expensive … injectors are bad … injectors are fun … skins suck … skins are nice … CCP want only money … CCP hangs in with a lot of umpaid work …

somhow i feel like i sit here with some real ********************************************* … cant explain why

JuuR

1 Like

The problem is that CCP continues to embark on one failed venture after another while their core revenue source (EVE) is continually siphoned for new projects. So yes, there’s a lot to b*tch about - and rightly so.

He did not live happily with the rest of crew tho.

He was CCP’s majority owner, founder, manager, chairman and sole game designer, roles he found increasingly hard to set aside as the team expanded and the game began to take shape to his exacting specifications.

“I put incredible pressures on myself and became intolerable to work with,” he says. “I had moments of being the crazy guy in the studio trying to work on the impossible masterpiece, seeing doom and failure and how far Eve was from the ideal.” This self-doubt, combined with a need to control every aspect of business and development, became a destructive combination. “I felt entitled to more power than I was willing to bear responsibility for. I wanted someone else to wear the suit without relinquishing the power and that’s impossible to do. It was difficult for me to be vetoed on anything.” Was he a dictator? “However unflattering that description is and as much as I would wish to describe myself in other ways, I think that’s probably the most truthful. Correctly or not, I always felt vindicated by the mission.”

2 Likes

Let’s remember also that his view was “Elite with friends” and the EVE we have now was shaped after Hilmar took the reigns…

…and also that none of them was a videogames guy. Hilmar was TV digital FX guy, FAI.

4 Likes

I’d give even odds that EVE would be an entirely different game now (and probably better) if Beck was still helming CCP. You certainly wouldn’t have had umpteen misadventures like WoD, Dust, Valkyrie, etc.

YES ! Just like Steve Jobs.

See where Apple is now thanks to Jobs’s energy and vision.

Who knows, seeing how Elite Online is faring. Maybe turning EVE into EVE was that kind of lucky strike that only happens once in a lifetime -certainly from a management standpoint, EVE it’s been a one hit wonder for CCP.

OTOH, maybe things would be dfiferent without the cronyism and the Icelandic/Scandinavian clique at the top brass of CCP. The guy who murdered WoD after wasting 23 million $ on it still is in the company since the clique won’t fire a “good fella” for a cock-up, that’s what line employees are for.