CCP plans to remove PvP from HS

Ofc… It’d be great to come back to EvE full time, and away from the ‘hundreds’ of other games out there. The consensus among friends is that a secure high sec will encourage folks to re-engage. This news is certainly one that has already started manifesting interest, and in my book, that is fabulous news indeed. Probably good to the ear for CCP to.

Okay. And where will the rest of us go if that were to happen?

I fly ‘helpless’ ships often. The trick is to be aware you’re a helpless target when making decisions in order to not get caught.

PvP versus ‘helpless’ targets is as fair as any. If the helpless target does get caught, the PvPer wins. If the ‘helpless target’ plays it smart to not get caught they succeed im their objective (hauling, minimg, explo, etc.) and the PvPer loses.

It’s a game of cat and mouse. Sure, the roles of cat and mouse aren’t equal, but if the mouse plays smart they can win by not getting caught.

3 Likes

Correct, but shouldn’t be a thing in high sec.

Cat and mouse thing is good… In high sec it’ll be akin to a mouse having a mouse loving omnipresent human minder. Players choosing to stay in the protectorate high sec should not fear the cats.

One choosing to leave the ‘high sec cage’ should absolutely then fear ‘the wild’. Then it’s on them if they play helpless in a sea of predators.

Out of curiosity, this change makes headroom for high sec to become safe. Not too long ago, a change came about that removed local from NULL. If players want EvE to be ruthless and hard, why was that change met with so much resistance? What was so disastrous about making NULL more dangerous? Logic suggests that anyone opposed to the removal of local, should be in favour of safe high sec.

And they are. I think youll find the krabs are in agreement on this no matter where they live, it just so happens HS krabs are jealous of how much more than them nullsec krabs make.

6 Likes

You would very much like to grab wealth in hisec space totally risk free. It’s not so much you hate losing ships, you just want to maximize profit, which you then use to gain influence on the economy to increase profits even further, like a virus. Any healthy system or game design should prevent you from doing this unchallenged. The system in EvE is, quite obviously, non-consensual pvp, and some added npc activity - the tears from pilots losing orcas to triglavians were delicious. Just like your money grabbing krabbing activity is not “helpless”, your mining ships are, after all, very powerful money grabbers. I bet you never looked at it this way.

The problem with all of these people and their “PvP-free high-sec” logic is that it ignores the fact that in other games where there are safe zones, those safe zones are always either “main cities” of some kind without any actual game content attached, or rookie/pauper areas. Meanwhile, in EVE, high-sec is the most economically-lucrative area in the game (when considering the cost of doing business elsewhere), aside from maybe blue-doughnut-protected null-sec.

They spend all this time arguing in favor of turning off high-sec PvP, but I haven’t seen a single one of them propose that high-sec PvE income be capped at a few million ISK per hour, and the ability to perform advanced production and trading activities be removed entirely. I wonder why?

3 Likes

Because it makes no sense to start with. Alts are a thing, and many activity provide not only raw isk but also valuables, like LP. Which value in term of isk fluctuates with time and its availability.

Therefore that would only make people do activities that have no inherent value like abyssal, industry, high LP value missions, high items missions.

TLDR : The “isk/h” is not present in the game, you therefore can’t change it.

I wouldn’t put my hopes up too high. There is no change as yet, only an interpretation of some vague words from a devblog.

Ah. Now that was a huge mistake. If nullsec people actually wanted to live in wormholes, with the same local channel mechanics, they would do so - and even make more isk. They chose not to, for their own reasons. Waking up in nullsec and finding out it now behaves as w-space, that’s not amusing. It also showed in the logins, according to rumors.

I’m not particularly interested in arguing in favour of turning off PVP in high sec, but it feel like the only solution… I’m interested in encouraging changes that help entice friends to come back to the game. One of the biggest bones of contention is unfair pvp in high sec. It’s always been this way, yet to me it feels like a ray of sunshine is poised to shed some much needed warmth over the subject.

What doesn’t help are certain groups that take things too far. Cross the line, and act as a disincentive for players to stay part of New Eden. I can see why someone at CCP would review this. My comments here are in support of that review in the hopes that it acts as enough of an incentive for players like me, like my friends to return.

There’s already enough content locked out of High Sec for players to advance and migrate to. Nerfing high-sec PvE income, or the removal of advanced production and trading activities would be a somewhat strange kneejerk. NULL already has the valuable sites, mining etc… and it’s quite safe to say that I find myself knowing I’ll never afford an in game plexed account should i stay in HIGH SEC. But a fine trade off; if it helps reel some friends back to the game, I’m fine holding a sub… Which helps CCP to.

You’re doing it wrong then. It’s perfectly feasible, with a single omega account. You could use that plex to entice your friends to come back, although frankly, they may not be of a mindset to play this challenging game and accept its mechanics - to put it politely.

1 Like

Here’s the thing, though: these (hypothetical) changes would get you and your “friends,” none of whom have been playing for the past decade-whatever, to “come back” to the game; this would be done at the expense of players like me, and my friends, who have been active players for the majority of the past two decades.

On top of this, you and your friends have many alternatives from which to choose, as most games (it’s actually more like all games) on the market have “safe zones,” “PvP toggles,” etc. etc. I, and my friends, do not have the benefit of such alternatives. We came into EVE because it advertised a feature set that appeals to us. It is the only game out there that has this feature set, and if the game is changed to cater to your whim of partaking in EVE specifically, instead of one of many similar games that already have the mechanics you’re looking for, then we’ll have nowhere to go.

You’ll force us out of the game that was intended for us, and that we’ve built up over so long, just to have some transient fun until you get bored and quit. That’s extremely selfish of you.

Aside from a select number of specific content types (e.g. 10/10 complexes, officer spawns, null-sec ore, and generally higher-value rats), high-sec has the same content, with the added benefit of being much safer. You can farm missions for 300 million ISK an hour in high-sec, for example. Additionally, high-sec has trading opportunities, and the same industrial capacity as other areas of space, aside from capital production. If high-sec were made safe, it would turn into a total farming zone, because aside from a select few high-paying fringe activities, it would make no sense to try to make money anywhere else.

This is entirely an effect of your lack of skill and understanding of the game, and not an effect of high-sec’s limitations, which are few in practice.

2 Likes

I would rather see a player bounty system that allows one pilot to set a self destruct on another pilots ship for no other reason other than because that pilot bumped the other pilots ship.

I dont mine but i wanna put a stop to botting :wink: I usualy do l4’s but bumping afkers seems fun. Where do i sign?

–Gadget praises the sun

1 Like

No one is trying to be selfish, being able to discuss this helps me and any reading to understand each side of the fence. What i can’t understand is how not being able to get unnecessarily ganked under the nose of concord; will force anyone out of the game. Gank squads can still exist in low / NULL / WH… It sounds a little extreme to say it has to happen in HS else players will be forced out of the game. However, I’m sure it’s not just ‘me’ or ‘my friends’ that have a negative disposition against such practice in High Sec, CCP clearly feel it’s worth ‘looking at’, who knows exactly what train of thought they (CCP) have towards this.

I never got close to this. Solo, with a marauder was the most isk / hr I could make - doing level 4s; I was roughly getting average of 50-75m salvage / loot and token amount of isk in bounties / mission payout. Per mission… Probably if I turned in to a robot I could reasonably do 3 an hour including salvage. This is with one account. But it’s not likely I’d enjoy doing this day in day out. I quite like exploration and archeology, which for sure won’t pay any bills in high sec. but I kind of like the scanning and probing play.

When we were in NULL many moons ago, anything less than <500m / h was considered a bad session in the office.

For me the cash reward isn’t the goal though. It’s the activity that is the lure. Can get isk other ways if I really need it. Fortunately, High Sec dies provide enough activities to experience EVE mostly, if albeit at a sufficiently reduce compensation. High Security may as well just live up to its name. The vast majority of eve space will still be as prescribed.

Your issue is that you were looting and salvaging.

yeah i was just dropping tractor bins, doing the mission, and coming back with a noctis dustcart.

I did try ignoring salvage, but there’s an OCD part of me that couldn’t help it lol :grimacing:

You can avoid being ganked just by playing well. Ganking isn’t something that’s guaranteed to happen to you regardless of the effort you put into the game. If it were, then I would understand your argument, but it isn’t.

So all you’re effectively asking for is the right to play in a way that requires less attention, less presence, and less understanding of the game.

It’s not PvP in high-sec that’s your true enemy, but being at the keyboard.

You didn’t set up your operation properly. It’s quite doable.

This also sounds too extreme. That level of income is reserved for very efficient site runners and supercap ratters. And if you were at that level, you really have nothing to complain about - you were literally in the top 0.1%. This doesn’t mesh with your attitude about the game in general.

1 Like

Stealing ice or ore from a belt is not a crime until Princess finds out about it and that is why there will always be pvp allowed in HS.