CCP should seriously consider removing Local from Null

It was mentioned on CSM minutes I think, but I don’t remember on which ones. Propablly before introducing the citadels. But I don’t think it would be a good idea, it would make null very safe.

Well… It already is safe though. Within reason. Every group out there has a network of intel to see people coming.

Living in WH space we often duck into Null. No Local would be a huge game changer because the locals typically scatter as soon as we appear unless there are large numbers of them in system.

Sadly unlike denizens of WH space those living in null are unable to close entry to their home if they deem their current neighborhood to be undesired. Also they have to deal with something you don’t see in J-space namely cynos. That would be really hard to defend against without a local.

And yeah of course natives tend to scatter when the potential hostile shows up. Nobody likes to lose their ships especially if they aren’t suited for PvP. But aren’t people act the same in WHs? Don’t you close “gates” you deem too dangerous? Don’t your miners or ratters go into hiding if they are warned about potential danger? Just because I consent to PvP every time I undock it DOESN’T mean I WON’T do anything in my strength to not lose my ship. That includes but is not limited to getting the fu… away if I sense a potential danger.

4 Likes

And just because someone consents to pvp when they undock. Does not mean that they are obligated to engage anyone who comes by. Use only what they are currently flying. Or not call for backup.

3 Likes

The expectation of some people are just silly. They expect me to engage them in a Tach Oracle tanked only enough to survive 70KM off the spawn with a dedicated resit profile.

Fundamentally Disagree. Intel is only as good as those providing it and removing local to the point where you have to multi-box toons onto gates in order to see whose coming and going will be massively detrimental to the game. First as has been mentioned unlike wormholes u cant control who comes into u system and they can cyno in some nasty stuff. Second any removal of local would probably see large swaiths of nullsec deserted just like the many wormholes that arent used due to risk versus reward not being worth it. As for the PVE in null , well check the killbaord supers and rorquals are dying all the time.

2 Likes

I am a huge fan that local should be removed from the game all together, it would make for a far more realistic environment IMO.
Yes it is a game, but when you think about it, in all reality, if this were real, we would not have the luxury of having a local to tell us when we are about to be jumped by a hostile.
I don’t see any issue what so ever by removing local in ALL regions, not just Null. Make people use D-Scan and rely on proper intel if a hostile is seen in a system.
As for the automated programs such as TACO, this crap should be banned.

For the record I live in Null and have done for years, I for one would support local and the automated crud being abolished.

But Cynos don’t appear on local, they appear on your overview, you would still see a cyno.

When it’s on and activated. Which usually is bit too late. Also covert Cynos are a thing.

You would already be tackled when the cyno goes up so that’s a meaningless statement.

I am a huge fan of having a playable MMO. The game is balanced around local. We have space without local and nobody wants to live in it, so why do you think removing local from the entire game is what players want? It’s clearly not.

Valid point

Purely my opinion, we are all entitled to them.

1 Like

You sure?

There was science fiction book where people were travelling to far away star system but was unable to automatically detect neutron star on their way. It was written in 1960-1970.

Take a look at now: we are creating maps of space billions of light years across but unable to visit Mars conveniently. And at the same time we have connection with space probes on Mars or Saturn.

Unless something unreal happens by the time we can travel across space we would have reliable communication across habitable space.

So local chat makes sense in the way of automatically managed system of detecting arrived/left spaceships and maybe even detecting their ownership. At the very least it would be automated d-scan which does not need to be manually controlled :grin:

LOL yeah I got nothing on this one :laughing:

XXX Natinde
I am a huge fan that local should be removed from the game all together, it would make for a far more realistic environment IMO.
Yes it is a game, but when you think about it, in all reality, if this were real, we would not have the luxury of having a local to tell us when we are about to be jumped by a hostile.
I don’t see any issue what so ever by removing local in ALL regions, not just Null. Make people use D-Scan and rely on proper intel if a hostile is seen in a system.
As for the automated programs such as TACO, this crap should be banned.

In Reality, Dscan would be far, far more effective than what it is—it would be constant, automatic and configurable to give alarms on events such as detection of a known threat. In reality using combat probes would work much the same way at Huge ranges that would provide more than ample warning just as local does now.

Plus there is Radio now, and the quantum entanglement thing that is the explanation for comms in EVE… it may not even be possible due to system architecture to avoid IDing yourself on that system, and it has to route all traffic to the appropriate pairing node so it also knows about where you are at all times too.

But it’s not reality. It’s all fluff. Local can be removed, but it should come back via a series of affordable structures that can be attacked and maintained, deployed and permanently emplaced.

When we copy paste character and system names in a different chat software thaan EVE’s integrated chat and then have a software read the logs of that system and warn us of incoming players, what will you do? Ask CCP to ban chat programs?

Let me guess, you have no idea how TACO actually work.

What’s TACO?

A software that read EVE chat logs or some kind of food. You choose.