Character creator options so poor

Judging by our appearance when podded, it would take a plumber half a day just to get us out of our capsules…

1 Like

Here is an incarna trailer that shows a capsuleer exiting

3 Likes

Wrecked my knees every time.

Thank god it was removed, come to think of it.

And… any pilot in favor of full body tattoos ?

This is doubtful.

Eve is very niche, most other games don’t want to be in its market space, and there’s a lot more that defines a game than just its setting.

I play both E:D and Eve, and E:D is no more a direct competitor or “substitute” for Eve than, say, Baldur’s Gate 3. It competes against Eve for my time, but that’s not a function of which game is “better,” it’s a function of which itch I want to scratch right now.

E:D’s spacelegs demo stuff is pretty cool, and I look forward to being disappointed by the reality of its implementation, much as with driving-on-planets.

1 Like

#forthemug

1 Like

The game has changed so much that WiS would probably work well with a sizeable chunk of the playerbase - but CCP would need to use existing software, rather than trying to invent something bespoke and s.h.i.t. - heck, borrow/adapt something from PA…

Even Elite is developing WiS (and planets)… whilst Eve just gets older and older

That said, this is also true in part (one thing that new Eve has taught - people will spend serious $£ on pointless stuff - skins, apparel etc):

Now iirc, captain’s cabin was the default at one point, if that was the case then they would have had figures for those using it. Before deciding to get rid of it, it would make sense to switch it around so they could get new figures to compare.

I used the captain’s cabin for a short while, character movement was awkward, plus it was kind of boring so switched back to ship spinning.

It really wouldn’t. EVE doesn’t have the population density to make it work, and WiS never had even a theoretical feature set that would hold attention for more than a few minutes. It was nothing more than a test bench for the WoD game CCP was working on and once WoD was cancelled WiS had no further reason to exist.

2 Likes

I never understood this aspect of it. Okay, I can walk in stations. It’s a cool novelty. In a few (hours, probably, but maybe days or weeks) the novelty has worn off.

Why do I ever walk in a station again? Short of them doing something ridiculous such as literally gating existing gameplay features behind having to decant and walk around, I mean.

I’ve just spent 20 minutes rotating camera while in hangar (it has really satisfying inertia when you spin it up) :smiley:

The point is those figures didn’t represent how many were potentially interested or enjoying CQ.
They were a snapshot at a time set up to be as negative as possible towards CQ use, yet still got 3%

Now, don’t get me wrong, I still say it would need multiple worthy gameplay features to justify the dev time to implement it, and I’ve not seen those features yet.

Check the in-game market. CCP has definitely given away gifts for things like cybernetic jaws, face doodads, shirts, caps, and probably more stuff that I can’t remember.

Probably because people change skins more frequently than avatar appearances, so they can make more money from those. Of course, some additional customizations would be nice. What I’d really like to see is more faces. There are only 24, and even with all the other avatar customizations, I keep seeing my twins everywhere. It’s almost like we’re clones or something… hey… wait a minute!

An oft repeated axiom in Warframe is, “fashion frame is endgame.” And Fortnight makes 84 nonillion dollars a second selling skins, emotes, dances, and all that crap. Obviously, a lot of players like the ability to self express in their video games. Plus, it’s a good money maker for devs that isn’t pay to win or anti-consumer, so I can’t complain.

A lot of people like the live events. I used to like them too before they went to crap. But you’re right. If you don’t personally engage in or value what CCP is working on, then it’s a pointless waste of resources.

That looks better than all what CCP ever showed for WIS. Made in like a fraction of time CCP thought about it and showed teasers.

Why must CCP be so horrible developer… :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

Ok? Anyone can make pretty videos, the hard part with something like WiS is making the gameplay side work and nothing here suggests that they will succeed at the impossible task CCP (correctly) gave up on.

1 Like

So a basically single player or with a few friends game that isn’t hosted on a single shard server and has much smaller ships can do a few characters interacting in the same space…
Ok?

You don’t see the world of difference involved here?

1 Like

I have to admit that I’d always hoped that walking in stations would allow me to walk over to whomever it was that had just docked up so I couldn’t shoot them and… assist, yes assist them with undocking so I could shoot them! :smiley:

Regards,
Cypr3ss.

Poor indeed. I had a glorious 1980s mullet once. Now I look like Snape.

I doubt it was that much of a set up and 3% isn’t much at all. Even if it were to have been 10% it would still be poor interest and not worthy of investment.

When WiS was the default you could turn it off. When the station hanger was default you could turn WiS on. The fact people didn’t turn it on meant the majority didn’t care about it and why should they care about it it’s not like they could do much with it.

I remember when WiS was added, the community was divided back then. Comments like ‘what do we need WiS for its a spaceship game’. I think some of that though was people were concerned that WiS could take up too much development time rather than sorting out the content that was already in-game.

Personally, I think CCP added WiS to see what the reaction of the community would be. It got a mixed reception and as such was most likely not worth developing any further.

I can’t remember any details, but wasn’t there supposed to have been some technical reason for the removal of WiS?

Yes. There was some 32 bit middleware that they didn’t have a 64 bit licence for, may not have even had a 64 bit version.

Edit: Re. the rest, there is a lot of complex legacy around the introduction of WiS that effectively poisoned the well, WiS itself wasn’t really received negatively but the development process around it was along with other issues at the time which have since been attributed to WiS while being in reality unrelated.

1 Like