Character creator options so poor

Partly. I think the primary reason they added it was that they needed a test bench for their WoD engine, and it was really easy to throw some EVE art assets into it and make a “new feature”. I’m sure the bad reaction from EVE players didn’t help but the much bigger factor was that WoD got cancelled and WiS was no longer a free bonus CCP could get from their existing work. I don’t think that, in the absence of WoD, WiS was going to be developed no matter how positive the initial reaction was.

I’m hoping they eventually do an EVE-Second Life crossover, so I can maximize my isk/hr.

I wonder how :sunglasses:

There are differences, but they dont matter so much for many people. And WIS part is what can drag them in.

That perspective was around when they were showing prototype of WIS (later scrapped), because they showed bar and some rentable, customizable spaces inside station. There were even exotic dancers inside, so make out of it what you wish.

Because those ideas doesnt seem to be returning any soon to CCP office. :no_good_woman:t3:

Comparing small square image to TPS game? Wow…

Does that negate the assertion that players like to self-express, or that Eve players in particular don’t like to self-express? I mean, I have tens of billions of isk worth of skins injected on my toons… and then I zoom out so far that I can’t even see them 95% of the time. In fact, about the only time I can see my skins is in dockup. Yet, I still collect skins to make my ships purdy. And judging by the fact that CCP keeps churning out new skins, it would appear that other Eve players still like customizing their stuff too, regardless of how prominently displayed their ships/avatars/whatever are during normal game play.

Now, I am by no means advocating that CCP spend an inordinate amount of time working on things that don’t affect game play, but the fact that this is something that most players appreciate and the fact that it provides a non-P2W, non-anticonsumer revenue source for the company seems like adequate justification to invest a reasonable amount of time in the feature to me.

So, if you were genuinely asking why CCP should invest time in avatar customization, then there’s your answer. But, I’m willing to bet your question was rhetorical. What you were really saying was, “this is a waste a developer resources,” which can really be inferred to mean, "in spite of lots of other people caring about this thing, I don’t, which provides all the justification I need to declare that it’s a waste a developer resources."

Then compare it to Elite Dangerous where they regularly sell cosmetics (and they only sell cosmetics, unlike EvE) that in 99% of cases you dont see while playing the game as they are on the outside of your space ship, and no one else can see because Elite doesnt actively encourage multiplay.

I declare that declaration futile.

I don’t even know how to respond. I’m not sure what your point is (or if you’re just trolling me), and I’m certain you took my quote out of context.

Just adding a bit of realism. :smile:

And this is a good thing. WiS was a dead end concept that was never going to work. I would be very concerned if CCP started throwing developer time and money into that black hole again.

Walking in Ships would be more preferable.

–Gadget needs her Exercise

Avatar gameplay is an integral part of majority of RPG games, just so CCP couldnt ever get it right, doesnt mean its generally a “black hole”… but it certeinly was when CCP tried to do that. Maybe Pearl Abyss needs to sack devs and take over the development themselves. :yum: PA certainly knows how to make avatars and environments for them, with gameplay.

1 Like

That’s nice. Things that work in some games don’t work in other games, and it is not a viable option in EVE.

Maybe Pearl Abyss needs to sack devs and take over the development themselves.

That would be a great way to destroy their own product and pay a bunch of money to do it. Thankfully they aren’t that stupid.

While I agree with the idea behind this thread that the character creator could be improved, I disagree that the character editor is ‘so poor’. In fact, EVE’s character editor is much, much more extensive and flexible than I would expect from a character editor in a game where the actual player characters are the ships you fly.

I love the amount of flexibility we have in our character creator and the amount of cosmetics we have available from the market. I’ve probably spent too much time tweaking portraits of my alts, portraits that most people won’t even see. Sure, we could use more options for hair, clothes, backgrounds etc., but what we already have is certainly not ‘poor’.

Yes, avatar gameplay is important, but in EVE our avatars are static images and our ‘player’ models are ships. We have lots of ship skins to express ourselves with new avatars!

In another MMORPG I could see a Dwarf showing the latest raid outfit and newest mount standing next to the bank in a crowded area to show off. Similarly, in EVE I know a certain pilot who enjoys sitting undocked on the keepstar with a good looking skin on his avatar: an actual titan Avatar.

Avatar gameplay is part of EVE already and our avatars may partly be that static square, but mostly they are spaceships.

That is the last thing thats left from great CCP avatar gameplay visions, that they didnt remove yet.

But 3D wiev could be switched off soon with shortcut.

Furthermore, there will be a Quality of Life improvement for the EVE Online UI that will allow you to toggle the 3D view in space, or in your hangar. The ability to toggle off the 3D scene will allow quick access to a high-performance, low-GPU-usage mode when viewing the 3D scene is not necessary. When toggled with a keystroke, it will eliminate the need to go through settings menus, and will allow nearly instant reactivation of the 3D view when desired. Modules, brackets, and the overview will remain fully interactive in this mode.

Nothing will be standing between person and spreadsheet simulator. :laughing:

1 Like

i love ascii games :smiley: :smiley:

Maybe you are interested in my ascii art collection in game? It is more of necessity than choice to use ascii, as there were no emotes like on forum and pictures are not showing in chat like here.

1 Like

sure :smiley: i am

I sent you a mail in game. :email:

1 Like