Clippings from Placid

Excerpt: Morning Pierre - Placid - YC11.9.124

PIERRE: Gooood morning all you freighter jockies, friends and freaks! It’s another episode of Morning Pierre, the galaxy’s strongest morning stimulant, comin’atacha live from the FTL broadcast studios in Ostingele. I’m with this guy, Jean -

JEAN: Hey!

PIERRE: - and it’s liberation day! That’s right, the Navy is here in Placid, and stay tuned because we are gunna have Vice Commander Cailluoux on later, and we are gunna have some questions for him.

JEAN: Like, “What took you so long?”

PIERRE: They got lost on the way from Dodixie, okay?

JEAN: Stopped off for some cap boosters, took a wrong turn?

PIERRE: Yeah, and show up ten years later. You know how it is. But better late than never, am I right?

Top story of the hour: Federation Marines stormed the planetary HQ of Suroken National on Intaki Prime. They’ve confiscated reams of paperwork and arrested most of the senior executives. The CEO was off world in Jita this week, unfortunately. All of those factories they put up last year are now shuttered.

JEAN: Was anyone hurt?

PIERRE: It doesn’t look like it. The security around these Hyasyoda plants is intense, but they stood down and surrendered. No Marines were hurt. Clean, clean operation. Big props to the Vice Commander. Now let’s get this done on every squid outpost in the constellation. 'Round 'em all up!

JEAN: There’s a lot of those outposts active, isn’t there? They’ve still got stations, even.

PIERRE: The great squid has tentacles everywhere. All these subsidaries and minor companies and foundations and projects and “diplomatic” outposts and sometimes they’re just “contracted” to be there - it’s messy. That’s why we need clear, strong leadership. Let’s cut the crap about liberty for our enemies for just one second and do what needs to be done, okay? I say cut out the cancer, then we get back to freedom as usual.

First though, we gotta hit a commercial break. Be right back, Placid people!

//Commander’s Log - Poksu Volcanic Survey Center - Agoze I - 11.8.124

Saitsuo Interstellar Security - Bringing reliable security to the most fiercely competitive environments.

0400: Unusual signatures on insys relays. Perhaps technical issue. Sent engineer. All stations secure.

0426: Gravimetric sensors detect troopship in low orbit over southern hemisphere. IFF indicates Federation Navy signature.

0641: Multiple ground contacts landed outside defensive perimeter by FedNav. Approaching 200KPH in heat shielded transport vehicle. Client personnel moved to secure chamber on level 11.

1109: Enemy attack repelled. Casualties minimal. Wounded sent to medbay level. Gravimetrics indicate FedNav vessel is decelerating to a bombardment orbit. Personnel removed from surface defense guns.

1213: Orbital bombardment has ceased. No casualties. Some surface defenses still functional. Reforming defensive perimeter.

1400: Second ground assault repelled. Available manpower depleted by 60%. Medbay overwhelmed. Federation vessel believed preparing bombardment.

1610: Second orbital bombardment ceased. Personnel sheltered in place, no casualties. High intensity. They corrected their aim. Facility defenses destroyed. Sealing all surface entrances.

21:23: Third ground attack has breached facility perimeter. Urban combat conditions in hallways. Heavily engaged on levels 1-6. Casualties acceptable. Inflicting heavy losses.

00:00 They have reached reactor level. Power is out. Oxygen, gravity, network and life support out. Hazmat gear dispensed. We are holding on level 10. Night fighting conditions.

0400: Ammunition supplies depleted. Scavenged weapons and sidearms adequate for remaining personnel.

0425: For the State.

Excerpt: Morning Pierre - Placid - YC11.9.124

PIERRE: Annnd we’re back! And we are also joined by Vice Commander Cailluoux of the Federation Navy. Vice Commander, welcome sir.

VC CAILLUOUX: Thank you, Mr. Ducasse.

PIERRE: Is it fair to say at this point the Navy won a major victory?

VC CAILLUOUX: At this point in time, I want to stress that the fighting is not over. We are still encountering pockets of organized resistance, mostly Caldari.

JEAN: Only mostly?

VC CAILLUOUX: There’s some criminal organizations, terror groups and extremists of various stripes that are also hostile. But most of the resistance is State-aligned. However, it is fair to say the hard part is over now. The Caldari Navy is in full retreat and the vast majority of Protectorate outposts have been captured or destroyed.

PIERRE: So it’s a mop up operation?

VC CAILLUOUX: We’ve struck with overwhelming force and our advantage is significant. The Protectorate forces remaining are abandoning their fixed positions. On one hand, we have clear superiority, especially on the ground. On the other, with the enemy dispersed we could see ongoing fighting for weeks or even months. We need people to be vigilant and report any suspicious activity to us immediately.

PIERRE: And we’ll have a GalNet site and contact channel for you folks just before the break. Now, Vice Commander, first question: What took you so long?

ALL: Laughter

4 Likes

Annacale - South Placid

Violence Continues on Annacale VII - Segment, Regional Federation News Program

Reports are still coming in of fighting on the ocean world of Annacale VII. Caldari corporate forces are reported to be holding out against Federal Marines on the north polar island chains. The north islands formerly hosted a shipping center for Caldari corporation Perkone, who had contracted guards from a militia security company. That center was destroyed by orbital bombardment after several attempts to capture it, but Caldari security forces have dispersed to entrenched positions on the islands.

“These islands are rural, but most have civilians, so further bombardment isn’t an option”, says Vice Commander Cailloux, one of the officers leading the offensive. “There’s mountains, caves, thick forests and other rough terrain the Protectorate has dug into. Drops from orbit have been challenging, so we’re marshalling on the surface and hopping from island to island. We have to evict these entrenched defenders who are fighting fanatically, sometimes to the last gun despite our repeated demands to surrender. Unfortunately, the operation could take some time.”

Many of the inhabitants of the north islands were former contractors of the shipping center, which was the region’s largest employer. Arrests have been made of some civilians for obstruction of Federal forces.

The Federation Navy has been unable to blockade the planet completely, and there are reports of the State Protectorate engaging Federation ships in the upper atmosphere and even landing reinforcements and supplies to some embattled island fortresses.

3 Likes

// ACCESS GRANTED

TO: [REDACTED]
CC: [BoardDirectors]
Subject: REPORT - SECURITY OBJECTIVES

Executor:

I have informed SIS forces that no surrender is authorized at this time on penalty of employment termination, according to your orders. In addition, no further equipment or assets are to be evacuated from the Intaki Loop. Standing orders are to resist, evade and attempt rendezvous. All abandoned assets which could fall into enemy hands are to be scuttled at once.

I report Saitsuo rescue operations stemming from the surprise attack are complete. The sole exception is Intaki Prime, where we have suspended attempts for now. It has been a large undertaking to find and extract so many ground personnel from under the nose of the Federal Navy. After repeated trials we found success with a combination of blockade runners and fast recon shuttles using cracked Navy IFF codes.

Saitsuo is now redeploying our assets to areas where resistance still exists. We are successfully holding the enemy at bay on Annacale VII despite the destruction of the Caldari facility there.

Indeed, the North Islands provide ideal conditions for an extended campaign. The enemy is unable to land heavy vehicles due to the terrain, while we have access to many civilian submersible craft which our engineers are refitting with arms. The civilian population is sympathic and willing to provide us with supplies, transport and intelligence. The planet is far enough from Navy outposts that the enemy cannot maintain complete space or air superiority.

We have managed to capture a number of Federal prisoners during the fighting. They are now being held at the [REDACTED] in [REDACTED]. We suspect that one of them might have been embedded as [REDACTED]. Their interrogation provided intelligence vital to cracking the Federal IFF codes. I request your direction on how to proceed with these prisoners.

With respect, Executor: We remain at your service as our alliance leader and vital shareholder and will follow your orders to the letter. However, I urge you to open the broader question to the board whether continued involvement in Viriette remains wise. We should inquire with Ishukone regarding their current interest in the system.

In loyal service,

– Cmdr. Suzaku

2 Likes

The Twilight Struggle on Larmes Island
By Patrick Lamont, Placid News Network - Investigative Report

I am standing on the white pebbled beach of Larmes Island. At first you might think this forested speck of land (a tiny pinprick on the face of Annacale VII’s northern oceanic hemisphere) could be a small slice of paradise. But stroll along the beach for a while and you will find signs everywhere that less than twenty-four hours ago, this place was hell. Twisted hunks of metal that were once amphibious landing vehicles, hovercraft and air fighters dot the island. Some are billowing black, oily smoke. There are more gruesome remains, but by now both sides have retrieved their casualties. Not much remains on Larmes Island besides search parties looking for those still missing in action - and a single news reporter.

Not so long ago Larmes was host to a small town of fishermen. They were mostly Intaki, mostly poor, and mostly satisfied with a quiet existence. There was a dock for surface craft and submersibles, a cannery for the fish, and modest, comfortable houses for the fishermen. Ida shrines dotted the island’s natural beauty - temperate pine forests, hot springs and secluded valleys. They were a ‘Delta town and proud of it’ as the saying goes.

Larmes got a little busier over a year ago when Perkone set up a distribution center at the north pole. Bright points of light became visible from the shore. These were the exhaust plumes of galloping shuttles on their way to low orbit. Then it turned out Larmes was an ideal midway point for submarine cargo ships on their way to and from the shipping center. The Caldari established a branch office, and within months the care and feeding of submarines became the island’s primary industry, and the Caldari the island’s largest employer.

According to Lakshmi Sherri Singh, a longtime resident of the island, that was because: “Although the hours were long, and they worked you like a dog, the pay was unbeatable.” Lakshmi is one of those that claims to be reborn, and she says she has spent six lifetimes on Larmes. She says in one of those past lives, she was mayor. Now she’s a dark skinned, middle-aged baseliner, slightly bent, with a husband and three children. In this life she was working a humble job as a clerk on the sub docks.

It put food on the table and then some. Everyone in Larmes partook in the new prosperity. Suddenly the sleepy little Delta town could afford a little Beta City luxury - a new holotheater, a modern hospital, a public magtrain. With that also came a taste of big city vices. The docks developed a thriving nightlife catering to the passing submarine sailors. Nightclubs, gambling parlors and smokey backrooms cropped up along the waterfront. A little too noisy for Lakshmi, who preferred to stay in with her family.

In short Larmes became a tiny member of the interstellar community. That brought new troubles and dangers occasionally. At one point Annacale “flipped” back to Federation control and some men came to the island from off world to ‘audit working standards’. They made some regulatory demands. The Caldari and local businesses hemmed, hawed and begrudgingly made plans to comply. Then a few weeks later the system flipped back, the whole revision was scrapped, and it was back to ‘business as usual’.

Then came a sign of the end. The first indication the residents of Larmes had of the Federation Navy’s presence were streaks of light in the night sky. “It was like a meteor shower, except all the little stars behaved like sparks, darting this way and that”, said Lakshmi. It was at this time, although she didn’t know it, that landings were being made to assault the polar shipping center.

Waves of Federal Marines were charging across the ice floes, fighting and dying in an attempt to capture the Caldari installation. As the casualties mounted the Navy decided there was enough blood on the snow. They broadcast a demand to the facility that they surrender or be turned to ash. The Caldari flatly refused. Shortly thereafter the Navy began a ferocious bombardment that lasted over ten hours.

In Larmes it manifested as bright flashes over the horizon, like lightning. It was followed by the most dazzlingly beautiful northern aurora they’d ever seen.

As they’d received warning the Caldari rushed to evacuate the shipping center in the hours leading up to the bombardment. The submarines arriving at Larmes now carried a full cargo of refugees from the pole, as well as platoons of security contractors. Soon the island was swarming with them as they began transforming Larmes into a fortress.

The island was important because of the submarine docks, which were now a vital means of transporting war material along the island chain beneath the waves and hungry eyes of Federation air patrols. The Caldari were busy refitting the civilian submarines with makeshift arms for ambushing Gallente convoys, as well as deploying portable anti-air batteries, pill boxes and sea mines.

The Navy tried several times to take Larmes. Each attempt came at high cost in marines but also in mounting damage to the island’s civilian infrastructure. Although the Caldari were outnumbered and outgunned, the Navy was dependent on long supply chains stemming from orbit. They were constantly subject to submarine ambushes at sea, as well as fighters in space and the air intercepting logistics. Still, the Navy felt it was only a matter of time before Larmes was liberated.

The final assault came in the waning twilight of 11.15.124. The Navy had prepared a spearhead of landing hovercraft that were racing over the ocean. From the deck of one the water stretched out “Like black glass, so close you could touch it”, says Oliver. Oliver isn’t his real name. He’s a marine who was there, but Oliver agreed to speak with me only on condition of anonymity.

The landing force was moving under radio silence and cover of darkness in order to creep as close as possible to the shore before being spotted. Unfortunately, what the Navy didn’t expect is that the Caldari already knew they were coming. "The first sign we had something was wrong was sensors picking up a squadron of friendlies incoming at high speed, ignoring broadcast silence. At first it was, ‘That’s funny’, then ‘Those idiots!’ "

Oliver says that was when he saw the hovercraft next to him take a hit, and by the light of the explosion he watched it spin into pieces, plunging out of control into the dark, icy water.

“We started taking losses, and we realized they weren’t friendlies at all”, he says. His voice is tense and far away.

According to Oliver the Caldari had somehow cracked the Navy network. This allowed their Dragonfly fighters to get inside the Federal formation before opening fire. The Gallente formation broke as they realized they couldn’t trust their sensors. “We were flying blind in the dark. It was a moonless night, pitch black, and every man for himself.”

The Caldari were also broadcasting a jam net over the island. Thus, neither side knew when the clock struck midnight that a ceasefire agreement had been reached far away, in Intaki, and no one needed to die for the sake of that tiny island.

Instead of arriving together the attackers landed off course by scattered twos and threes. The survivors were up against the shore fortifications and hidden defenders firing at them from the treeline. Somehow, by sheer grit, despite horrific losses, the scattered marines managed to regroup and establish a beachhead. Inch by inch they pushed the dug in defenders back. Most Caldari refused to surrender even when completely surrounded.

Aatami Nakamui is a Caldari security contractor employed by Saitsuo Interstellar Security. He tells me he grew up hearing stories from his parents about an ancestor’s exploits as a fighter pilot in the Caldari-Gallente War, and it was his dream to be in a fighter cockpit himself one day. Unfortunately, Hyasyoda aptitude tests decided he had insufficient depth perception and was too tall for the job. He was passed over for the Caldari Navy, so working as a security contractor was his fallback. Clearly those bedtime stories had a lasting pull.

He fell into Federal hands because he suffered a head injury that knocked him unconscious. He says he was captured with an empty clip.

“I am a prisoner, but not by choice. We had our orders. I knew my duty. I was prepared to make the ultimate sacrifice.”

Aatami says the whole garrison was under strict orders not to surrender or face employment termination, a deeply dishonorable fate for a conservative Caldari. He hopes that by telling me his story for publication his employer might decide to pardon his present circumstance and not fire him.

I ask Aatami if he has anything to say to the Federation readers at home.

“Agoze never fell” he says, staring into my eyes defiantly.

The battle raged into the next day. Though the civilian population had fled into prepared underground shelters, the small city’s infrastructure became the scene of urban fighting. By the morning the Caldari had counterattacked, and the Federation offensive was repelled. The marines held out on a small toehold by the shore, and it was their frantic requests for evacuation that brought them back into contact with high command. That’s when they learned about the ceasefire.

“We were stunned”, says Oliver. “We’d just been through hell. We lost friends. What was it all for? There are no words I have to describe that feeling. War is organized insanity.”

“How do you feel now?”, I ask.

“I just feel despair. That’s why I agreed to talk to you. People need to hear what’s going on out here.”

For the Caldari, along with news of the ceasefire came orders from IRED - the Protectorate’s main force in Placid was withdrawing their armed forces everywhere. Annacale was no exception. Larmes would have to be abandoned.

“When I heard I felt relief, at first”, Aatami says. “I am going to live. But then - shame.”

“Why?” I ask him.

“Not only had I been robbed of an honorable death, my kirjuun (comrades) had been robbed of the ground they fought so hard and so long for against impossible odds. We’d all rather die standing than give an inch to the invaders. We won but the glory was taken from us.”

A little after noon a Caldari delegation came down to the shore, wearing tattered grey uniforms and marching under a white flag.

“Truce, not surrender”, Aatami clarifies.

The Federation and Caldari commanders met in the ruin of the old cannery. One of the members of the entourage was Oliver. According to him they all shared a bottle of Caldari rice wine - brought by the Gallente. A few hours after exchanging pleasantries and some back-and-forth calls up the chain, an agreement was reached. The Federation would take Larmes Island, and the Caldari would share the island’s stock of emergency medical supplies. The Caldari across Annacale would have free passage to withdraw into orbit, safe from the Navy battleship guns. They could take their property with them unmolested. The first shuttles started landing not long afterward.

For the residents of the island the future was far more uncertain, and even more bitter.

“We lost everything,” said Lakshmi. “If we stayed, I’m not sure it would even be rebuilding. Everything about the island I knew for generations is wiped out. I have been reborn here six times. I can’t imagine living anywhere else. But I can’t imagine staying, either.” She wipes away tears. “There’s nothing left of Larmes except each other. For that at least, I am grateful.”

Standing on the beach of Larmes, I gaze out across the waves. I see the beautiful, cherry red rays of an island sunset shining through the smoke. At this crystallized moment I sense the end of many eras.

Annacale might never face the fury of the Pendulum Wars again. It’s certainly the end of militarized Caldari presence across the whole constellation. It’s the end of an era for the Intaki, for the Federation, and for IRED. The battle here was the furthest tip of that arc of history. It was the last battle in Viriette of the war - if we can call it a war. It’s also the end of a more ‘civilized’ era, when the fighting was mostly done by a dwindling few capsuleers in small ships and the interstellar treaty still meant something (whatever that was) to the signatories. Now it seems for all sides it’s little more than of a piece of paper to be ignored, bent or discarded when politically inconvenient.

I don’t think Lakshmi cared whether a green or blue flag flew over Larmes. In that moment I don’t care, either. No one needed to die that night, but I wonder who in the warzone ever did. Hasn’t there been a ceasefire going on for the rest of us the whole time? I hope our leaders take Oliver’s words to heart about this organized insanity. I hope we can find a way forward to a more peaceful future.

A future the Intaki fishermen of Larmes, everywhere, can appreciate.

3 Likes

Editorial by Patrick Lamont, published by Placid News Network and syndicated platforms - For Cryonics Prisoners, Cooler Heads Prevail

Since the Navy raid on Suroken National HQ in the midst of the Intaki Liberation, the arrest of the company’s foreign workers has proved controversial. Most prisoners were held without charges or trial date and attempts by Federalist prosecutors to charge some with sedition didn’t hold up in Intaki court. Having misjudged the national mood, the hawks stretched the reasons to include financial and regulatory misconduct. However, while these new charges have proven sufficient to stall the legal system, they do not appear sufficient to justify the breadth of arrests or the government’s conduct in making them.

Political considerations aside SNC was a large employer and economic boon on Intaki. Having been on the ground reporting on the late protests, I can tell you many of the people I spoke to holding signs opposing Aguardist policy are facing financial hardship after losing their factory job.

In a time when many are increasingly concerned with FIO’s role in Viriette, SNC prisoners have become a Separatist talking point as a clear example of legal abuse. The issue came up during an hours long Assembly session this week, including a hearing where Vice Commander Cailluoux visibly squirmed under an Assembly grill regarding who exactly ordered the arrests. I’ll give you a hint: it’s highly classified. The Assembly stopped just short of lodging an official protest but I think the Navy knew its defensive position was untenable.

That’s why I welcome the news today of these “criminals’” release. This is part of a prisoner exchange agreement with IRED including conditional amnesty toward SNC. Far from seeing a sign of weakness (Pierre Ducasse called it “A disasterous defeat for our troops and freedoms”), I see the system of checks and balances working as intended to safeguard liberty.

The administration would be well advised to start behaving a little less hamfisted. The jury is still out on Aguard and I admit I’m less than hopeful a principled policy will become a pattern. Now that the emergency of the Navy’s rescue is over we should be lenient with our defeated foe. SNC is teetering on the edge of bankruptcy and liquidated almost all of their Intaki property. Their CEO, Muutaras resigned. Whatever happens next it won’t include them.

Critics rightly point out that the buyers for the SNC properties were almost all Caldari, namely a new conglomerate called “Oceanlink” which seems to include a concerning number of familiar faces from I-RCB and ROA. Oceanlink handily outbid local investors with an enormous depth of unheralded funds. It appears that rather than the end of Caldari involvement, we are allowing TNR to “reshuffle” its corporate deck of cards while our attention is focused on the wrong target. Pundits like Ducasse tallying prisoner counts in this ‘uneven exchange’ are the ones falling for a shell game. The Oceanlink buyouts are the insidious corporate manuevers we should actually be concerned about.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.