Dalros for CSM19 (AIR improvements、Tutorial incentives、High-sec changes)

Hi! I’m Dalros, and I’m here to apply for the CSM19.

I met with CCP CEO Hilmar Veigar Pétursson at this year’s LDC conference as a fellow game operator. The photo below shows me in the cute kitten avatar and Hilmar next to me.

In the meantime, my study is about Game Operation and I wrote an analysis of EVE’s economic system as my academic discussion for my major this year, and this is also one of the reasons that I joined this community and wanted to engage more myself into it.

In the following pages I will summarize my EVE career. And I’ll give a professional perspective on what I think about the current state of New Eden, especially in the parts I care about and would like to see changed.

But all in all there’s only one thing I want to talk about:

‘Getting new players to tell us that the game is fun and getting more pilots in New Eden!’

Being a CSM is not only an honor but a duty, and whether or not the following meets your opinion, I hope you can discuss it by leaving a comment on this article, contacting Dalros via in-game mail or adding my discord.

My EVE career.

I started EVE in 2014 and returned in 2018, and some of you may have had the same experience as I did of repeatedly uninstalling and installing EVE at the beginning of the game.Personally, I don’t think I stuck with it at the time for two main reasons.

-In real life demands too much time
-I got stuck in one of the newbie tutorial quests for submitting items (veteran playersmay know this :slight_smile:

Then by 2018 I occasionally play EVE, and I mostly do hauling stuff in high security areas, and enjoying the cosmic nebulae in the background. I’m sure many people still join the game mainly because Earth is so boring, and just joining New Eden is the most satisfying time for us sci-fi lovers.

I gradually learnt things through player tutorials, and almost everything in EVE requires you to be self-taught. I started to understand how to do mineral harvesting, industrial production, planetary development and I even got my first KB in lowsec.

I would especially like to thank the following organizations for their help to newcomers, many have benefited from this, in fact this is why I am running for the CSM, to help more organizations like this to communicate with players/officials.

-EVE University (created the most complete tutorial for players)
-The ISD Project

It was also around that time that I started helping newcomers like myself. I would answer their questions in the newbro help channel and suggest they not use Rokh with eight mining lasers to mine in Kinakka. I have been a member of various new player groups in different capacities and have learnt that female players are rare. I was very familiar with some of the members in ISD, and I created a number of industry alts during that time, but sadly lost them because of a google mail issue.

When I finished my studies, I recreated my account and joined a very responsible player corp and I am currently a member of the largest group called absolute order in Highsec/Providence.

I then became a recruiter for the corp and used my experience to train 263 new people in 6 months, almost all of them stayed with the corp. I believe that a lot of Hsec corporation admins who train new people are more like teachers, and it’s important that we help them so they could better teach the players to learn the game.

Many of my friends have downloaded and entered EVE over and over again until they met groups or people who could help them. And when I returned again, I also re-experienced the official newcomer tutorial using a new account.

From the very beginning of this journey, I’ve been reviewing the details as a game operator (which is my real life job) and as an EVE player. I’m not using assets I have in other accounts, which can make the experience more authentic.

I’ve been pleasantly surprised to see that ccp has made significant progress in terms of newcomer orientation.

The following updates are where I think the progress has been noticeable.

-AIR CAREER PROGRAM (video/mission tutorials built into the game, with rewards for completing tasks)
-The percentage of tutorial content on the front page of EVE’s official website

But there is still a lot of room for improvement, such as adding more content within the AIR system, and the current tutorials are still a bit rudimentary (but we’re already seeing it within the game!) .

I don’t think the most important thing is to write more tutorials, that comes in second place, the most important thing is to combine official and player organization help for newcomers, and there are two things I want to focus on pushing forward in this section.

Firstly, improve the story immersion (role-playing) of new players to EVE. For the old players, they can make decisions and influences in New Eden, but new players are still lost. Early in the game we should go more into the EVE backstory to make them think they are part of this universe, through something like storyline quests, I think many people join EVE because of its grand sci-fi setting and this is important!

Secondly, tutorials made by players/groups can be plugged into the game interface as well, so people can directly see wiki of gameplay inside of EvE. It’s not that we don’t have great tutorials, it’s that we need to publicize them. This part should have people reviewing it and giving out rewards for good tutorials. I currently miss the old inbuilt web page and this might be a good way for that.

Also this year I became a lieutenant FC. By then several people called me the ‘Hsec Rose’ . We took a group of Highsec newbies to battle thousands of players in Providence, to have fun and help friends there. You can enjoy our battles via the links/videos below, about which I led my newbies to take the first Keepstar kill in the Alliance.

It’s often said that Highsec players are a bunch of noobs who just take their miner’s gun to the ore and count the amount of tritanium, (just a joke, but maybe we can add more high security area resources?) . But I’m proud because I’m a high security area player, it’s where everyone in this game was born, has the largest player market in New Eden, and forms the material basis of everything in the universe. And we should make this home of all people more important and active!

I’ve been trying to become a female Viking elite and fleet lieutenant commander in the recent past, you can see me from zKillboard using SmartBomb Scorpions, but in real life I’m an introverted, attentive person. Let’s make Hsec and Hsec border areas like Providence more active and fun, vote for me!

What are my specialties, strengths and weaknesses

Specialities :

-I am personally bilingual in both English and Chinese, and am working on learning a third, and have good communication skills.

-In-game I mainly specialize in writing tutorials about the game, and training and supporting new pilots who are just entering into New Eden.

-In the real world, as an operator of other games, I can communicate the needs of the players in terms of reliability to CCP.

My strength:

-More neutral and objective, I am running for the CSM to make the game mechanics a better experience for the newbros(Hsec Miners, Missions runners, etc).

-Enthusiasm, and I haven’t stopped since I started choosing the path of helping newcomers. I have made numerous tutorials and advice on my own initiative and would like to continue contributing for the sake of the community in the future.

My shortcomings:

-Relatively new, after browsing through the campaign pages of previous CSM’s, I realize that I can’t match the experience of veterans who have been playing this game for over a decade and I need to learn more.

Why I’m applying for CSM:

-EVE has become more than just a game for me, it’s like my second life. I have learnt a lot in this game, even to the point of writing my graduation thesis on EVE’s economic system. I look forward to working with the official CCP team to improve the game experience for new players and get more people into New Eden.

What players can expect from me:

-Integrate newbie tutorials both in and out of the game and bring back the in-game internal pages.

Either official CCP or player-created tutorials. I’ve found that almost all of the heavily used WIKI/documentation tutorials are well done. But newbies need to have more access to them. We could show more of the tutorials on external game pages (e.g. account creation download stage for guidance) or forums, or bring the in-game pages back into New Eden, as many veteran players will remember.

-Incentives for people/organizations with good tutorials
Offer incentives to people/organizations that provide good tutorials, especially on the official forums.

Organizations that have been nurturing newcomers for a long time could continue to be promoted, there was an official Space Station Legion advertising scheme that should be expanded upon.

-Increase incentives for newbie invite links

There should be appropriate incentives for both parties who use newbie invite links. This will make technetium veterans more willing to help newcomers and new players more likely to be active within the game.

-Improve output and consumption in high/low security areas

I’m not one who agrees with the idea of making newcomer gathering areas into unbreakable fortresses; new players should have an easier time gaining resources as well as consuming them in high/low security areas. I have observed similar ideas in CCP, e.g. pirate invasions in high security, homeland security missions. We can continue to discuss this topic and expand it to PVP and industrial direction.

-Speak up for semi-official/public interest player organizations

I don’t know if you’ve heard the stories of public service player organizations such as ISD, EVE University, EVE SCOUT, etc., who have been quietly supporting the game’s operations from the very beginning. Players are encouraged to get involved, create such organizations that help each other and are full of goodwill, and bring their ideas about the game to the CSM.

Thanks again to CCP CEO HilmarVeigarPéturss, I decided to run for the CSM after hearing your speech in place, and thanks to all those Hsec Miners/Combat persons, and Providence friends who gave me the Fleet fun, and the new players who supported my campaign! I hope my ideas have impressed you and thank you for reading this.

Vote for a better future of the game !

The ‘Hsec Rose’ Dalros

5 Likes

My LDC PASS

My PAPER

keep star kill:

video

Why are you posting a killmail that is the result of Snuff and BIGAB’s work?

All very interesting, Dalros, thank you; but what is a ‘game operator’?

As far as I know snuff and BIGAB were hired together in that fight. I’m just a rookie petty officer. Going to kill a keep star is very interesting to me, which is why I put this video up.
I am not interested in politics, for me these alliances are very experienced in battle and I learn from them.

Thank you for your reply, which makes me happy. This is my real job, taking a game to market and keeping it afloat.I hope my experience can help CSM.

1 Like

For complete disclosure and transparency, this candidate is acting on behalf of the management of the in game group, Absolute Order.

I would advise anyone interested here to do their own research into this group. There have been various complaints from community members regarding the group’s political and ideological symbolism and views in the game, as well as their members’ attitudes toward other members of the community as a whole.

Here’s a snip from this group’s Discord server where their group leader confirms their appointment of the candidate.

4 Likes

Unfortunately for you, alphas can’t vote. Maybe next time don’t run as a Lee sockpuppet.

Also for anyone who isn’t familiar with Absolute Order: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfwDy4qxtRk

3 Likes

Ignoring the fact that you are in AO, who regularly scams its brand new players and is led by people who are constantly trying to larp as fascists, who use AI generated images of Oswald Mosely on their websites front page, and who have had multiple instances of ansi-semitic character names in their alliance, who they refuse to kick until said players get renammed or banned,

• If you have been playing since 2014, why was your character only made 8 months ago?
  • are you aware that it is against the campaign rules to run on an alt
2 Likes

Please note that this guy is applying for CSM as an Absolute Order member, a group known for its toxicity towards new players and small groups living in hisec, as well as for its fascist roleplaying. Their so called leader Governor Lee cannot apply for CSM himself because of his terrible reputation, as most of the eve community sees him as a clown.

green aura with flies

oops i didnt mean to reply

1 Like

@JB_Hitmarker That some love for AO that I can’t replicate even with my spare times. AO should thank you for your vote.

And since I’m a well-mannered player (and in AO too), I should keep this to topic, and ask what’s your thoughts on scams (contracts, usual Jita local bs) in Eve Online. That is an aspect that I feel whose existence isn’t necessary in a game, unless it’s a scam simulator.

You mentioned you writing tutorials for eve. However, why does your own alliance do a 90% Jita buyback 7 jumps from jita. And does this tutorial also happen to feature the diabolical AO Ferox doctrine fit that they can’t seem to let go of? AO is also widely known to be griefer corp/alliance who only makes newbies quit the game. Most members don’t even last a month. And so, because of your membership in such an alliance, do you think we as your audience should vote for you? Would you bring the change that you wish upon eve, or what Governor Lee wishes upon eve?

1 Like

@Dalros Do you support hiring (EVE Vanguard) Warclone Mercenaries as an attack/defense vector in Capsuleer conflicts? Like attacking/defending Planetary Infrastructure, Skyhooks/POCOs and Upwell Structures?

As a CSM would you try and pitch for CCP to make stack multi-split (splitting a stack of items into multiple stacks of same size in one go instead of just on split at a time) happen?

O7 Dalros,

Last year I asked eight questions and then compiled the answers into a huge mega-thread. It was massive. With the exception of MILINT_ARC_Trooper, no one had a thread bigger than mine, to be fair MILINT_ARC_Troopers’ thread was so weighty and knowledgable it teetered on the edge of collapsing into its’ own core.

That catalogue of replies is now a time-capsule and encapsulated within are the hopes and disappointments that CSM 18 candidates considered worth speaking about during the year of EVE’s 20th anniversary.

The responses gave voters en masse an opportunity to test and compare each hopeful CSM 18 candidates commitment to their claims of being community oriented, knowledgable, responsive and representative of player values. Given that the CSM does not directly control any aspect of EVE’s development and that the successful candidates are those that can identify existing and future consequences, co-operate with other CSM members, and communicate issues -from a player perspective- to CCP staff one-to-one, I’ve formulated a set of questions designed to seperate the compressed ORE from the Long-Limb Roes in this years election race.

Year-on-year the Independent Representatives, Solo players with single accounts, Worm Holers, Triangle People, Semi-nomadic Role-Playing Sandbox Explorers, and Salvagers, have been organising and gaining traction against the self-secure Null-Bloc Empire Candidates and their vast hordes of leather-skinned, evil, flying-monkeys. More-and-more players are choosing to vote in members they believe can positively impact CCP’s approach to the game regardless of their in-game affiliations.

Exposure matters, who are you, what is your clue?
As was the process last year I will post each candidates reply in a super thread, first-in first-served.

This years questions:

1. What ONE identifiable consequence requires CCP’s attention?

2. What PROVABLE evidence can you supply to support your belief in this situation?

3. What practical, and balanced change can be made to support a solution if any?

4. What support do your observations have from other CSM candidates?

5. How will you present your findings to CCP?

If you have already identified and spoken about a problem in your CSM candidacy bio at the top of this thread feel free to copy pasta that response where applicable. I’ll copy paste directly from your response to this post. Choose your goblet…. wisely.

Let the games begin, and may the odds ever be in your favour.

At the time of writing, its been four days you didn’t reply to the questions (or to be fair, accusations) regarding your alliance as a whole. Can you explain why?

1 Like