December 2017 Arms Race Release – General Feedback

In testing it felt a bit disjointed. We weren’t sure if it was the right call to leave it like this, but we wanted to see how it went for this one. In truth I wanted to try completely different challenge chains, something to do with ice harvesting to thematically tie it to winter, but it just wasn’t ready in time.

Part 1 will stay the same from day to day. It will never be reset or switched on you.

If you make it to Part 2 or beyond, it will give you a new Part 1 during downtime. New doesn’t mean different, it just picks from the list and tries not to pick one you currently have running. Having 2 slots and only 3 chains makes it so you can get the same one over and over. We wanted to have at least 2 more chains for this one but again, they just didn’t make it. That would at least feel a bit more “random”. We’ll try this again down the line when we can guarantee more chains will be completed.

I should have just reverted it back to 3 slots.

3 Likes

is this right… is good by CCP give improvements for Alphas but they should expand the oportunities for the omegas too…

I have recorded my data for the last 2 weeks on the rogue swarm sites.
I have not done anything (in eve) over the holydays, so the average is rather low.
All of the data is from high sec.

Sites done since 12.12. (the day of the loot change): 716 (still a small sample, but it is all i have).
Time: 19 days, this means ~38 sites/day (with 3 days doing nothing).

Double Overmind Cruiser: 58
Overmind Cruiser + Battlecruiser: 90
There can be no 3rd spawn in high sec and no battleship, at least i never had one.
So i had 864 Overminds.

-> Overminds / site = 1,21

Total Loot: 1570
Wrecks with 1 Loot: 263
Wrecks with 2 Loot: 510
Wrecks with 3 Loot: 79
Wrecks with 4 Loot: 10

-> Loot / Overmind = 1,82

Kind of Loot:
Ore: 535
SE Commodities: 92
Drone Parts: 235 (this include the Coronary Unit and Elite Drone AI, the only parts that are worth something).
Booster: 254
Skins: 208 (and still missing so many. i had so many double and tripple, at least a few were valuable).
Accelerator: 200
BPC: 45
Yoiul Accelerator: 2 (this means 0,28% chance for me, this is rather low i guess, used all my luck in the first week :wink:).

BPC only drop from battlecruiser for me (i assume they cannot drop from cruiser), this means i had 45 BPC out of 90 Battlecruiser. This was a 50% chance.
A piece of ore dropped with a chance of 74.72% (per site, not per Overmind).
And even the accelerator (the only constant money drop, even when it dropped really hard) was at 27.93% (per site). That’s 2 per 7 sites. So around 22 million in ~45 minutes (alone in the accelerators).
The skins with 29.05% are a bit higher, but the value of the skins is so different. It can be all from 400k to 100 million (not anymore, but they were this high in the beginning).

The accelerators and skins alone were a bit over 4 billion on selling (would have been more, when i would have sold them sooner).
Not bad for 2 weeks as an Alpha in a cruiser.
To quote Magnasis Drakkenwolf: “For some people this might be not a big deal, but for me its huge”.

I want more of this stuff :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Welp. Its been a while since this stuff got released and so far, heres my take on it:

1. FOBs - hardly anyone does them anymore. Some people did at 1st for novelty, now many just are kinda there until they despawn. Problems are two fold. First are the abysmal rewards. Average player has far better ways to spend his/her time doing other stuff for better rewards. Second, accessability. Need to scan switch ships, yadda yadda, blah, blah, blah bottom line is its a PITA, again, better time spent elsewhere. Third, skill ceiling way too high. Double this if the rewards are going to be kept “as is”. They need to be rebalanced for either a solo really good player, or a team of 5 new good alphas. Then, and only then players will actually do them a lot.

2. Resource wars - bleh @ mining, but thats my personal thing. Complaints I have heard is that the rewards are completely not worth it and require to spend too much isk to be worth doing and that the sites durations are just way too short. They need to allow time for people to get together, switch ships etc. so they can actually go do them.

Would have been 100x better off just introducing some new missions, some new explo stuff maybe, and bump HS Anoms up to 6/10 DED. Mission wise add some stuff that makes faction grind easier, or maybe a battleship burner, or more story missions.

2 Likes

FOBs despawn?

I dont know, do they ? I have no interaction with them other then being tagged by the NPCs that they send out. They do eventually disappear, but eventually. Some take a really long time. So if they don’t despawn and people don’t kill them what then ? Or maybe people do kill them but they take days / weeks where they should be downed in hours, again cause they’re just not rewarding or balanced or insert whatever else reasons here.

For the Yoiul Festival, the tiers for ore mining are based on a unit count.

For 100,000 units - just mine 10,000 m³ of Veldspar. (one Procurer load, two ventures)
For 60,000 units - just mine 21,000 m³ of Plagioclase (one Retriever, 4plus ventures)

But for the 30,000; those ores vary from 5m³ up to 16m³. 16 x 30,000 = 480,000 or 96 Venture trips.

If you are aiming at Alphas then can this be changed somehow?

2 Likes

Firstly, I’d like to thank you guys for all the hard work and devotion you’ve out into our beautiful sandbox. To many, Eve is not so much a game as it is a way of life. You guys and gals have put your all into Eve, and New Eden shows for it.
I think these events try to steer us too much as capsuleers, breaking the magic of the sandbox. I personally was also lost and had no idea what to do except smart bomb farm drone lairs in wormhole and nul, and the odd time wait for someone to go criminal stealing loot so I could shoot at them. The other stuff, I was totally lost with. I warped to a mining something or other and it told me I didn’t have high enough standings. That was it. I was confused about points adding up and starting over again. Instead, l farmed skins and such, or went back to farming data and relic, or sleeper blue loot in wspace. I don’t have much of an opinion other than that except that I worry that the sandbox is going to be steered and directed more -something I get a growing sense of in New Eden. Starting with changes seemingly aimed to force us to adapt to different play styles, finding different activities to earn idk, to using different ships altogether. I find myself grinding a fair bit, or hunting for something lucrative and rewarding experience wise. I have recently taken a shine to PvP but with my very limited skills I have to hunt for days and days to find something I can actually engage. As a solo noobish player it is difficult to find PvP that is of the same handicap. It would be best if there were places we could go that were like brawler systems for various skill level players. Only a certain skill level could participate in a given area, for example… And you could go up to a higher area but never down. A waiver in the EULA stating that players highly skilled in other accounts aren’t allowed to participate using alts in these lower skill areas either. That would be neat, and I think it would definitely encourage more PvP. I know FW is sort of like that now with plexes but we all know that doesn’t really work that way. Not to mention when a small plex is camped by a fleet of Orthrus’s or drakes or something. I do find that more and more I turn to SISI for my PvP experience. It would be nice to be able to have more ways to do this on TQ. Other than that, we are all like bratty spoiled children and you will never make us completely happy -the happiness has to come from within -thus the sandbox :wink:
Love in the Oneness, Rumi Shanti -High Lama CFEL

Event having ended this morning, doesn’t really matter now, but… I just wanted to report that I got past part 1 on one or both tasks about 60-80% of the days since the Yoiul Festival began and I never got a different task after downtime, always the same 2 on each character.

Kills/event sites tasks on two toons, Mining/event sites tasks on the third toon.

As a result, I got about 2 to 3x as many points on those two toons than the third one by the end. Still cleared the 400 points for the final reward tier, so no biggie other than to my OCD, but someone who doesn’t grind event sites as much as me may have been screwed (I don’t mine outside of highsec, so I could only do parts 1/2/3 with the toon that was locked into the mining task each and every day, via veld/scord/whatever, pyrox, kernite/jaspet/hemorphite/hedbergite… as hedberg is the limit of what’s available in highsec via mining anoms).

That ice mining for winter idea sounds kinda fun, definitely give it a shot next year!

But yeah, I think 3 slots (or 4) is way better than 2. And if some variety/randomness is desired, then put a bunch more types of tasks in, kinda how Shadow of the Serpent/SCOPE was 18 months ago, with like 6 Serpentis tasks, 5 Angel tasks, multiple drifter tasks, multiple incursion tasks, mining tasks… and ofc exploration has been added to Agency since then (don’t think it was in Scope/SOTS), that works too.

Thanks for the update on your stats. I’ll update mine as well.

Arms Race:
~192 rogue drone sites completed
30 glacial drift skins obtained (~15.63% drop rate)
20 RSCAs (Rogue Swarm Cerebral Accelerators, +12 to all attribs) obtained (~10.42%)

no agency tasks/points period in between:
~60 rogue drone sites completed
15 glacial drift skins obtained (no more empty boss rat wrecks helped!) (~25%!)
17 RSCAs obtained (no more empty boss rat wrecks helped!) (~28.33%!)

Yoiul Festival:
~345 rogue drone sites completed
102 glacial drift skins obtained (~29.57%)
93 RSCAs obtained (~26.96%)
1 YFCA (Yoiul Festival Cerebral Accelerator, +10 to all attribs) obtained (weird fluke? only got others via the agency point rewards… no further drops past just the one)

overall:
~595 total rogue drone sites completed
147 glacial drift skins obtained (~24.71%)
130 RSCAs obtained (~21.85%)

I’d say I felt the skill accelerator drop rate that I experienced (between 20% to 25%) was fair enough. I got enough to train all 3 of my main toons from start of event until they expire January 30th + 48 extras to sell, but I didn’t start selling until after I secured enough for my own usage (within the past week)… prices are heading back up now that supply is off from event ending, yay!

But I really feel the Glacial Drift skin drop rate could have been higher. Especially that first week when the boss rat wrecks were sometimes empty. I’m not saying it had to be a guaranteed skin per site (tho that’d have been nice), but at least somewhere closer to 40-60% chance instead of right around 25% as well, considering there’s like 400 different skins.

I got 147 and like 25 of mine are dupes, so I only got skins for ~120 ships total… barely over a quarter, close to a third, maybe. If I wanted a full collection for all 3 of my toons… egad.

:::missing the Cold Iron/Purity of the Throne days, when 50+ Amarr ship skins were easy to collect multiple sets of during a simple 2 week event:::

I like those racial-themed events, but there’s been a lot of Amarr ones, mostly due to 3 Blood Raider Halloweens in 3 straight years + the Purity event… we’ve also had the Gallente one.

Please consider a Minmatar-full-set-of-ship-skins event and a Caldari-full-set-of-ship-skins event to even things out from those past Amarr/Amarr/Amarr/Gallente events!

Conclusion here is that we should include “bonus” challenges instead of randomize their availability until further changes can be made. One of the ways we would like to improve this is by setting up a “re-roll” ability. Pay some ISK to get a different card. No design drafted yet on this one.

I forget if you mentioned it earlier but what sec did you do these? So I can compare to our loot tables…

Glacial Drift covers all 4 races. Headhunters from the Blood Raiders this year also covered all 4 races. This is going to be the norm for big events like Halloween and New Years. The smaller events will see focuses on specific types of gameplay or lore, such as the Warzone Extraction.

1 Like

This makes sense, but please find an excuse to squeeze in a Minmatar focus soon, as stated by others before - the Amarr had plenty of exposure in events last year.

Can you update us on your thoughts for the Leaderboard concept?

Do you want to show us a static display of the top performers, or will we see our place in the rankings? If so, I might want to check how others are doing in the rankings. But some will want the ability to “opt out” of public tracking of their activity.

2 Likes

Sounds good on the base tasks vs. bonus tasks… and on paying to re-roll a task you don’t like, that works. Or just make tasks time out in a reasonable timeframe (2 to 6 hours?) if you check a “do not want this task” button or something in the agency event interface.

Good point about the Headhunter skins being for all 4 races this past Halloween, I had forgotten that thanks to 5-6 weeks of rogue drone sites wiping my brain. :wink:

And it’s true that multi-race events are nice, I’m just saying Minmatar/Caldari deserve some extra love after all the love Amarr and to a lesser degree Gallente got, event skins-wise, IMO.

All in highsec, so only cruiser boss rats with occasional cruiser or battlecruiser bonus boss rat wave spawns, no battleship loot for me this event(s).

conclusion is that if you lmake )people have specific tasks based on random, some people will be happy and some people will be pissed.
The only way to solve that is to make all tasks available at the same time, even though you thus divide the reward ; and then to increase the delay between tasks so that people can barely do the event by making only one kind of reward

example :
if the event requires 100 points to finish in 10 days
there are mining beacons that appear.
by mining we can complete two tasks : “finish X sites” and “mine X m³ ore”
finish X sites gives 6 points, mine X ore gives 4 points (because you can get it while mining in belt and thus getting additional reward) . The tasks reset daily, so this means -6+4)*10 = 100 points at max.

now we have a tasks that requires you to kill drones rats. This task should also provide 10 points per day but have a much lower reset rate(because it can be done while doing more lucrative activity) : eg 5 h (so 2 points only per completion)

result : people can theoretically do the event when doing only one kind of tasks.
However if they do “side-tasks”( that is tasks that don’t require a specific investment in the event) they will have to log more often, and tasks that can be made together share the reward.

It should be also good to factor in the competition of the tasks.
eg make the final rat drop an iteml that must be placed in a box 30km away to get the credit for completing the site. Someone might want to steal the wreck …

Minmatar ‘Bloody hand’ SKINs are on TQ already. No way to obtain them yet I presume, but you can spin some ships with them on already.

1 Like

Oh boy oh boy oh boy.

Though it doesn’t necessarily mean it’s from a Minnie-focused event, that’s still good news either way.

:::wondering if it’ll top Tronhadar Ink and Valklear Glory as my top 2 skins for my Scimi and Sleipnir and Claymore:::

Take all of this with a healthy dose of “Not written in stone” and understand that we have no timeline for it yet.

Top 10 will show the players at the top, and will no longer allow them to hide their score. If you are at the top, you are a target and it helps other players recognize possible cheaters or identify super strategies. If you spot someone getting triple what anyone else is doing and we verify they are not cheating, then they must be doing something very different.

We will make sure you can only see your corp/alliance/contacts (although contacts must be mutual contacts) exact score and ranking. If we have a public ranking, then we will allow you to opt out, however I’m inclined to have no public ranking other than the top 10.

In actuality, the Leaderboard is only a small part of what we want to add and to me it’s kind of the least interesting part. I would like to add some sort of daily average or completion rate. For example, the challenge is to kill pirates so it will say “On average people have killed 20 pirates” or “15% of players who started this challenge have completed it”.

Once we’ve started down that path, I would like to see other stuff like “The most used ship for this site is…” or something that shows some information, but doesn’t give away the exact fit. These are just a few ideas for things that I would like to see, because I’m interested to know what others are doing. It can also be used as a learning tool for new players who are unsure of what to do.

Interesting. Yes, the Yoiul Accelerator was extremely rare, but you came pretty close to the exact drop chance. Other stuff was pretty close to the right general ranges.

Not event related. We have most everything requested from Art up to Capsuleer Day. I’ll see what we want to request for the summer months. Swimsuit SKINs?

2 Likes

Top scores aren’t cheating, they just have a ton of free time on their hands :wink: I was taken aback by the numbers shown in the Top Five list posted after one of the first of these events.

You are right, the Top 10 names are … not that useful, considering what the vast majority of players will be able to accomplish, (I’d be nowhere near it) next to the other fun statistics you suggest.

Developing a UI to search, scroll or page through ALL public ‘opt in’ scores probably kills that idea, in this day and age of faster/cheaper.

A certain portion of players want to know how many sites were “completed” by a “visitor” taking the loot. (bonus feature: Broken down by security bands) And below that number, the raw number or percent of thievery which resulted in ship loss. And below that number, who usually wins. (That final statistic might be the most educational to new players: intentional theft resulting in a ship loss, is usually started and won by a player in a superior ship.)

“The most used ship for this site is…” - so simple, this is another Top 10 list.

“daily average or completion rate.” - We love Graphs! Perhaps you could borrow the graphing code used by the Market UI, to display various daily statistics.

Thanks for the detailed reply!

1 Like

That would be pretty wild. Almost like the monthly economy analytics info but published in game instead of out of game… Or like when Fozzie would show how overused t3cs and Ishtars were back a few years ago with that cool chart… only instead in game you find out “the tengu is the most used ship for this event site” type thing. Dig it!

Yeah, my Yoiul Accel drop rate of 1 per however many sites was about on par with the other person posting their stats here too, who got 2 I believe and did more sites than me. Had a hunch that was about the intended drop rate. And since that was the top prize for 400 agency points, it makes sense it would drop the least amount of times during the event.

Summer skins? Ummm… swimsuits for our ships sounds… interesting. Some sort of flamey-sunny-heat design would work best tho, kinda the opposite of the icey cool white/blue of the glacial drift skins.

A skin for summer events that just screams FIRE! I’m on FIRE! MY SHIP IS BURNING! HALP!

Yeah, you know, like a speedo on a Rifter? Or a bikini on a Nyx?

I don’t even know what that would look like.

1 Like