Something that has always made me wonder about this “space” game is how hard it is to get around in most of the “space”.
And we see pirate strongholds and mission sites out in the middle of nowhere in spots that could not even be bookmarked midwarp between two warpable points. How is that explained? I want to fill in that gap and also perhaps shore up some of the EVE lore in the process.
My idea is for a specialized ship that is sub-warp only but very fast, though less than warp. Details can be worked out later, but other than being fast subwarp, it would be very primitive, with nothing or nothing much in way of offense or defense. I was thinking it could basically be very old, outdated technology with fringe uses in modern EVE times…like a crossbow in this is age of automatic firearms.
The main purpose would be for locating loot dumps/ wrecks utilizing nothing but D-scan. So you still cannot probe scan down wrecks directly, but you could hone in on them with d-scan and get to them before they disappear, providing they are in range and you have the IRL skills with dscan.
With sub warp speeds that fast I suppose other uses, ship mechanics and perhaps even exploits/issues may be found. My questons to you are as follows:
- Would you like to see a ship that can be used to find valuable wrecks in deep space?
- Would this speedy ship and ability to travel to otherwise unreachable places add content to the game? How?
- What would be the properties of such a ship? Its vulnerabilites would be of special interest.
- What other uses could such a ship be used for?
- In what ways, if any, could such a ship be used to damage current norms and playstyles of EVE Online? And is it possible to explain without being a whingebag about it? Do your best!
As someone who has seen valuable wrecks vanish just a few AU from my position, I would really like to see a way to get that loot while adding content yet not causing a gold rush.