Deep Space Exploration and Salvaging

And then folks can easily hunt hard-to-probe ships by probing their wrecks rather than the ship itself.

Edit: … You literally had a thread about this that you just asked ISD to close. Why do that and then make an off-topic post in an unrelated thread to rehash the same thing??

He’s not gonna give up or be convinced anyway. I stopped entertaining it.

wrecks can’t be scanned within the first 30 minutes of creation aka fresh wrecks can’t be find, this way you don’t find these ships through a noctis and refit

i didn’t mention salvage probes before

and it does confirm the fact the player base does want something further done with this aspect of the game.

Care to try again?

that as you can see is actually in fact a seperate post from salvage v2 post I was refering too above
which i also had request to be locked.

not because i do not think salvage probes are an idea that is not worth persuing, but because i wanted to make a fresh about salvaging entirely, in which i was making a case for making a players ability to independantly salvage to be increased. i didn’t mention probes untill this thread

the idea of scan probes has been thrown around for years.

they’re not a bad idea, especially if you balance them right which i even suggested up top about how you could have them detect wrecks after 30 minutes of creation.

there is a clear demand and thus a need from a player base for tweeks to be made in this style of game play, ideas have been thrown around for a while not only by my self but from other players.

salvage probes have been a recurring topic from the community for years.

perhaps a sensible idea would be to entertain the desires and interests of the player base to find a workable and contribute to the conversation to perhaps explore finding viable solution.

the part of th community which does salvaging
want more independance to be able to find loot

yet your arguement is that salvagers have to be co dependant

which i argue is a bad design because in eve a player should be able to do that role independantly, which the rest of the roles in the game are capable of.

the point of corporations and alliances are to be part of something bigger than yourself

but whatever role you do in game you should have the ability to do it yourself without assistance from others, just like every other role in the game.

this is why carriers and titans are so difficult to build, because they’re not intended in their conception for an asshole with a few multiboxing accounts to come along and get the resources to build in a month or two. building capitals and titans and huge structures takes the resources and effort of whole alliances.

in which a player can come together and be part of something which is greater than the sum of its parts. balancing politics, ideaology, trust and comradary with risk and reward.

even if none of my ideas are good ideas

it doesn’t change the fact there is a demand for this.
at least i’m trying to make a contribution

I actually like the idea of Salvage probes.

I’ve seen wrecks on D-scan often and wished I could warp there and collect the salvage.

1 Like

I too like the idea of salvage probes, the community has suggested in many times over the years or at least its been talked about here in there amongst the community
they make for good concept but there is a valid point of if they would theoretically allow you to find harder to detect ships faster when then means you could use this ship, scan someone down and quickly re-ship.

which is why i thought the idea of them being used for just the noctis would be a great idea.
or have them work after a set amount of time this way a person could clear a site and leave, if they then have no intention of salvaging it, it leaves it in the universe to be found.
alternatively an inconvenience to the player base is forgetting to book mark your wrecks before you leave which is just genuine human error for more experience pilots, so salvage probes would allow you to scan down your old sites later.

my thinking would be after 30 minutes or perhaps even an hour, as wrecks despawn in 3 hours.

on an old thread of mine i suggested that wrecks would be auto abandonded after a set amount of time.
but honestly this really makes no difference to salvage, only loot mechanics.

but being detectable after an amount of time would make a salvage probe concept more workable and less breaking, meaning if you scan down a wreck and warp to it, people could be lying in wait for you as a trap and also make it so that people can’t scan down smaller / harder ships instantly when they create wrecks.

further more you could simply scale the signatures so that wrecks have a detectable but smaller sig radius than these harder to detect ships

so it would look something like this
wrecks → HTDS → Normal ships → whatever comes next.

further more the capsuleer technology in terms of the lore, its travel, warp and communications all deal with faster than light aspects, PEG’s move ships in and out of hyperspace in terms of the game’s Lore. so when a ship is destroyed, it should not actually remain static on grid.

given the ship is destroyed, pegs are disabled and the wreck is completely FUBAR, my logical deduction it is then not subject to the lore of the game in terms of how objects remain perfectly still or move in space and thus would be subject to the standard laws of physics, which unless there is a lore reason wrecks stay in place. you could use this to go as far as to say every hour the wrecks get closer together and the last hour creates a “debris field” which can be scanned (because it wouldn’t have any kind of signal / becon or gravitation depth to be detected and displayed by just simply appearing as a site in space.)

however even though it “makes sense” in terms of the lore, i’m sure the thought of that would make some unfortunate game developer’s head explode.

2 Likes

The excuse that it would allow players the ability to find hard to scan ships is just a bunch of BS. Any good experienced prober would already be set up with max skills using top line equipment so that excuse doesn’t hold any water.

As for the wrecks, sure, make them hard to scan so that only players actually wanting the salvage would spend the time to do it.

Wrecks last for 2 hrs before they start to despawn, could have them show up on probe scanner after 1 hr time, that still leaves 1 hr which is plenty of time for the Noctis to salvage the wrecks

Definitely make the Salvage Probes only usable by the Noctis. Have it so the site can’t be bookmarked and the Noctis ship has to warp to the location.

And yes, other ships could fleet warp to the Noctis and maybe gank the ship creating the wrecks if it was there but hey, this is Eve… Also the Noctis Salvage Probes wouldn’t show if there was another ship there. So having a gank fleet on standby to warp to the site wouldn’t be feasible.

1 Like

true but what i meant was more along the lines of someone goes in, creates the wrecks and just stays in there, if they’re not found first by some means, when a noctis warps in they could gank, but thats part of the risk.

Yeah, that may happen once in a while but usually the one creating the wrecks is going to run other sites, not wait there hoping a Noctis ship will show up.

1 Like

my thoughts exactly

addictionally some may worry about the extra amount of salvage influx and crashing the markets for the price of salvage and rigs.

In my mind i would argue you could double, triple or even quadruple the material requirements for rigs to minimise the the impact on the markets in game, this way the new.

Also could just make the Salvage Probes only good for High Sec space…

i’m sure they’ll be used mostly in highsec space, but i don’t see the point in restricting them. i’m sure there are people going to want to salvage in all regions and system types in the game, i’ve been on comms with people who have forgotten to book mark their sites in sov null.

Yeah but it could be linked to lore, basically the Empire Factions are tired of having wreck litter in their space. Also lessens the chance of the Salvage Probes being used to gank hard to scan ships.

you know, I can kinda see that, i’m honestly not a fan of the idea of them being restricted to just high sec but i can see that, similar to how you can’t run reactions in highsec due to “space polution” but you could only use scan probes in high sec.

personally i think if the idea were to be tacken seriously by CCP, just use them anywhere to find debris fields. this way you can go in a clean up sites efficently. typically bigger ships in sites and bigger rats in nullsec so it creates an immediate scale of risk / reward, would mean a rebalance of salvage materials, smaller ships provide less salvage, larger ships produce larger salvage.

salvaging a corvette or shuttle for example could be
1 metal scrap
salvaging a titan would be hundreads of various componants. of both t1 & t2 (depending on skill and equipment level accordingly)

Well, since nobody but you knows you asked ISD to also close your new v2 post, logically, I was talking about the thread focused ob salvage probes.

Closing your own thread and then hijacking someone else’s thread is dumb. Repeating tour arguments here instead of in your salvage post just makes people have to drag over all their prior comments to restate them here.

the concept of salvage probes has been put out there before by the community its not exactly an origonal idea

its not my fault players want more independancy in this form of game play.
I’m not the only one asking for it.

by asking for my old thread to be closed i’ve clearly walked away from it and figured i would try to contribute to someone elses conversation who clearly wants the same thing.

instead of making a new ship though it would be better to simply better utilise the existing assets or to further expand upon it.

there is a saying which goes something like “expand, don’t retrain”

the base theme of the OP is a discussion regarding adding assets to effectively allow people to find wrecks in the form of a new ship and how to expand on that.

i agree salvagers should be given more independancy to go and that there is clearly a demand for this

and I have discussed and defended my point with you before
and on this post i am making effort to contribute, it is likely the OP hasn’t seen my post and should it be locked it might not be read so i had to re-itterate my points and further expanded on that
which is also built upon the feed back given by yourself in previous posts
I have even discussed non scan probe options

this is a place for things to be discussed. not for players to be personally attacked
I am not picking a fight with you, i’m genuinely just discussing my thoughts in relation to this thread.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.