Delay Local

Do a mix of wormhole and null atm quite fun, although wormholes are empty or full of cloakies and nullsec is full of dock apon someone entering local types so yea…

1 Like

You’re looking at this upside down. It works both ways. Often you’d be at an advantage without local. Given the choice if I was a PVE pilot I’d go for no local.

The glass is half full. Repeat.

1 Like

I am currently living in HS, but in my LS days, I would have loved for local to disappear, and NS as well. And no WH space is just not the same, just going from place to place is too much of a PITA. I only venture there sometimes for some misc explo, but I can’t stand it long term.

NS and LS and even HS would be awesome without local.

I was in w-space for over 4 years and no local was the best thing ever. I loved to stalk my pray without them having a clue that I was there waiting for them to make a wrong move.

I really hate that there is free effortless intel in other places. It just destroys so much great content

3 Likes

How would you balance risk vs reward for Nullsec PvE then? With 99,9999% of all PvE done in anoms visible for everyone, risk would increase to a point where even WH’s are low risk in comparison. Let’s don’t even talk about the free intel via map and tools like dotlan (you can see where PvE is happening in <5 seconds) PvP’ers have.

Are you going to remove the Anoms? So every fleet has to have a dedicated prober? Soloboats too?

Just think this through. 0.0 should be more dangerous than anything else? Let’s talk about the price increase for everything because mineral and moonsupplies would quickly dry out as it’s vastly more difficult to run anything mining in 0.0.

Would you want that too happen?.. I don’t. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Only to make it more botty because now you have bots on gates reporting neutrals coming through the gates? Good job, you have made EVE a better place.

3 Likes

Nooo!
We need local! Everywhere!
How do I know now when neutrals jump in system… I can’t dock up and log off immediately anymore… this is the whole point of the game right???

We need local! It’s way too dangerous without!
People can’t dock up n log off anymore if hostiles come… we need local! Wh space too!
Better implement auto log off, if hostile jumps in local!

3 Likes

Are…
Are you joking?

2 Likes

I’m a proponent of what I call the “Sector Security Cascade” (SSC).

This is where AI/player control/freedom gradually transitions from maximum feasible AI control in HS, to maximum feasible player control in Player NS (with WHs as a rough parallel, but different).

Local, is an AI function, not a player one.

I think Local is rational/justified in HS and LS, in the cascade.
Id be open to a delay in LS Local, to add more granularity.
This can be carried to NPC NS, as an increased delay.
Ive never liked Local in Player NS, and think it should be removed.

I think WHs can be considered the furthest end of the SSC spectrum, in terms of player/AI control, in favor of player control with minimum AI interference.

4 Likes

I don’t know, am I?

WH has limited access, 0.0 doesn’t. Now, where can the opponent field more bodies against you? How big are the chances you will survive till backup in 0.0 in light of this and how big are the chances you will survive till backup in WH?

Also, which one has the higher response time for backup? 0.0 or WH?

I would say WH’s would be a lot more save than 0.0 without local.

2 Likes

There is more to it than that.
J-space has Asset Safety restrictions, logistics problems, cannot be jump cloned into from elsewhere, no medical clones, cannot form into empires, cannot develop their space indexes, and do not have cynos etc.

Whether WH or Player NS is more dangerous, if Local is removed from Player Sov, is very situational, and not systemic. They are more, or less, as dangerous, but in different ways.

WH space is far more mechanically restricted (ie:AI elements restrict it), but this is returned in equity in that they are safer from large scale invasion than Player NS.

3 Likes

I totally support this suggestion! I never loved a bug more then this one!

Lowsec was so much fun yesterday evening without stupid local chat giving all the bads a 60sec warning before I land.

Please remove local permanently, at least in low/null. In highsec I don‘t care.

A further suggestion would be to implement an anchorable module called a „communication jammer“ that suppresses local while it‘s alive. Make it anchorable anywhere in space (lowsec&null only) so it has to be probed and killed to re-enable local.

This would not only provoke fights over something meaningful but would also be a great tactical tool because you could use it to mislead your enemy by making him think that you‘re assembling a fleet in a local-jammed system etc.

Make it happen CCP!!

2 Likes

I think there’s 2 ways to go about removing local. One way is to link it to gates. You use a gate, you show in local. You cyno/bridge/jc/wh, you don’t show.

Another way would be about “confirming”. For example, 10 players are in a system, 3 are talking in local. Local would show “10 (7 unconfirmed)”. So you know the number, you just don’t know if they’re friendly or not. Then you could have alliance mates that announce themselves by saying “+1” or something. Maybe one alliance mate logged in and went afk and didn’t announce, leaving a bit of doubt and fear.

1 Like

Never been in Russian space, have you? They have bots everywhere that report you when you’re still 10-15 jumps out. At least without local you have a chance of killing them when logging out in their systems or getting there through wormholes.

2 Likes

I’m not a fan of Local Jammers or Enablers.

The sector either has Local, or it doesnt.

keep it “this way” would mean some have local … some not … some have a part of local … others have a other part of the chars in local

so its not local or no local its more a what you have this time?
thats not good because thats not a clear rule

btw. if you dont like local go to a WH … no need to thank me for the mindblowing discovery you just got for free … J/K

JuuR

2 Likes

If Local was removed from any sector that currently has it, the inverse could be said to them:
-“If you like Local, then go where there is Local.”

It would not make sense to remove Local from LS (as OP proposes) without also removing Local from Player and NPC NS. (As lower security sectors).

It would break the Sector Security Cascade otherwise.

1 Like

If local is removed then anom’s can receive a gate, which means they have to d-scan constantly, but this is not a problem as lots of poeple do this for low sec sites which are more risky and pay less than nullsec. Having to D-scan in order to be safe will make Botters useless as they are not sophisticated enough to d-scan only ez mode instant godlike intel called local makes botting possible.

3 Likes

This is correct and well established.
Local enables botting, especially in lucrative space (NS).

1 Like

I’m not botter so I don’t have any first-hand experience but it sounds like it would be trivially easy for a bot to spam dscan and simply react to that instead of local. Yes, it’s not as fool-proof as idiotic local which even shows you if they’re hostile without any effort whatsoever but I don’t think removing local would make a huge difference to bots.

If I were a bot dev and local was removed then I’d simply do something like this: constantly scan dscan, if something appears, align out, if something appears on overview ( = hostile) instantly warp off. Or if you’re paranoid then simply warp off as soon as anything new appears on dscan.

How is that any harder then reacting to a change in local or reading a text from a chat channel somewhere?

1 Like