Details on forthcoming improvements to compression mechanics

i meant more as in. why make it so that 1 ore is 1 compressed ore

Code entropy is inevitable and unavoidable. if you dont like it, go play a game that versions every few years resetting to zero, or almost never changes and only receives small changes

or you could just do nothing, nothing changes for you and you can just do what you are doing now without the obelisk

1 Like

I agree, this is just another step that makes little sense to include. Sometimes the simplest approach is the best one.

Edit: here’s a picture in case somebody doesn’t want to log in to sisi to see it:
unknown

4 Likes

@CCP_Masterplan Not sure if this is intented, but since the last update on Singularity earlier today, the Skill window → Skill Catalogue, filtered to “Have prerequisite for” now the skills that are at level 5 don’t show up anymore.

It’s a fleet ship not a solo ship, as mentioned there are better ships, and cheaper ships, for getting more ore mined per hour.

Where the orca and haulers come in is supporting said vessels allowing them to stay on grid, mine faster and generally be safer. Safer is relative of course. Anyone who wants to kill anything can and will with enough determination.

What is the reason to not give structures gas and ice ore compression?

Two compression modules are installed at the same time, and the later activated modules cannot work normally

Maybe it’s time to think of a gas harvesting drone again? Think of sending a porpoise in support of some Prospects or Ventures into a wormhole. Imagine the panic upon seeing that strat cruiser de-cloak at range 10. Imagine the thrill of de-cloaking your strat cruiser at range 10 and killing a bunch of screaming indy types. Imagine the isk to be made if everything goes smoothly.

Looking more closely at the module makeup for the compression this is a lot of modules to swap around, stock, build etc. Would we just have a generic module that unlocks the levels based on the skill?

Also not super happy with a 100k PG mod being added to the rorquals highslot considering its PG just got nerfed, could this be cut to maybe 50k or have some PG returned from the nerfhammer.

2 Likes

You are correct. The person was not sure, however, they did comment that we worked out why it wouldn’t be a good idea. I guess I took that as a kind of confirmation but I totally agree it could be up in the air still.

I simply said that they were aware, and it seems they don’t want you to be able to. I do not have confirmation this is the case, but I do know they were aware because we brought it up :smiley:

I find when mining high volume (Cov, Hulk), it’s better to use jet cans and have the porpoise within access range of the can. They can both access the can at the same time. I also leave a metal scrap in the container so it remains in space, this also gets around the jettison frequency limitation. For me, fleet hangar is better suited to low volume mining, crystals and other things for the fleet members to access.

They did that so that you can compress at any time.

As it is now, you need a specific amount of ore which can be compressed down to one unit. If you have less than that amount, it cannot be compressed. If you have more than that amount, part will be compressed and you’re stuck with some leftovers that cannot be compressed.

If 1 ore is compressed to 1 compressed ore, you don’t have those issues.

It’s a nice improvement.

4 Likes

In the compression window add a new option:
Compress Automatically → this option only works if the compression window is open

Stack All Automatically

These suggestions would be an absolute DREAM

8 Likes

if you don’t need to be able to move the can, an enormous freight container is another option that gives you an enormous shared space

agreed, would make it a lot easier on someone manging a lot of alts but not making it to afk

Here is the fit i currently run on the Rorqual, still have some support with remote rep.
Imgur

1 Like

Just double check that. EDIT: Nm, i see that you broke it down in a graph further down the post.

CCPlease do this, that would be nice.

High volume mining is best done with an Orca or rorq. If you want to efficiently channel product from belt to station utilizing a porpoise, and not pull out hair with the small fleet bay, simply use a freighter ( or hauler) and an MTU. Use the command ship to give fleet bonuses and assist yanking jet cans towards the MTU with tractor modules.

The size command ship should match your mining fleet composition. If your mining vessels are just to fast, you will run into bottlenecks with the command ship and with the hauler. The compression modules should take a ton of stress of of those timings, but you will still need to manage your intake as you compress it. If im reading the post correctly, the proposal is to provide the opportunity to compress on the mining vessel before it even hits the command ship or hauler… this should make a lot of space and slow down the multitasking.

Up to now, I have utilized 2 Orcas when mining with 8 Hulks 1 serves as a command boost ship and secondary storage when the hauler is out on a delivery run. The hauler Orca is essentially gutted to fill all spaces ( i normally can fill 264 units of Ice for example. With compression available, i will be able to delete 1 orca for a more practical hauler. When working on Ore, it is easier to utilize a freighter, since the ore pops so quickly, so much more time is devoted to that cause rather than quick turning the hauler orca. Compression is going to make things more efficient ( and more dangerous, if not careful)