Dev blog: Abyssal Deadspace - What Lies Beyond The Filament

You are right, in L5 and to a degree l3 up, there is not a ship in existence that can with certainty get through three rooms with the hardest spawns in a row, and effects and towers not in your favour. So the only sane options are don’t do them or alternatively they are so rewarding regular losses are meaningless. (I doubt that is the case).

Your idea of Being able to lengthen the timer through choices, such as abandoning collecting the loot, would go some way towards helping. Players should have some mechanism of influencing their survival when things are not going to go their way.

4 Likes

Any word if these are the expected loot tables? If so, they nowhere near match the difficulty.

3 Likes

I don’t think we’ll find out for certain until Tuesday.

I’m willing to sell made-up stastistics to people who don’t mind to buy them for what they are.

Before Tuesday!

1 Like

I would be very surprised if the loot being dropped on sisi, represents in any way, the final distribution. There is absolutely no need or value to be gained by that for CCP. It wouldn’t be of value for testing, and ruin the surprise.

Hopefully the same applies to difficulty levels. Whilst they might wish to see how players react and cope with impossible spawns, again, having release levels of difficulty would spoil the surprise. At least I sincerely hope that this is the case. If they were launched in this state, they will have wasted an amazing feature, when people avoid it in droves.

We have tested this not to find fault, but to see what it is like and give our honest feedback to ensure we all can contribute to it being a triumph of a release for CCP. It may be the best thing CCP has done for the wider player-base in many years, and a gateway to their future success. Everyone should be cheering it on, celebrating the effort expended, and hoping beyond hope, that they get it right first time. We are a fickle lot, there’s one chance to get it absolutely right, there’s only one first impression, and if it is simply a bloodbath on release, no matter how toned down it is later, people won’t trust it ever again, and it will be actively ignored for ever more, other than by a very few making bank, when it is made practical to run. And our path to new and expanded PVE in the future, will be closed off.

To CCP, please don’t encourage your spokespeople to celebrate the inevitable losses, ensure it is toned down to be reasonable and achievable, from the very start! Don’t frighten off your many many customers desperate for new reasons to log on!

Remember, those cheerleading for instadeath, player massacre, and “harder PVE” don’t want PVE to be in “their” PVP game at all! And certainly won’t be logging on to do these sites.

5 Likes

or dedicate time to working a strategy out yourself like others are doing…

that is simply not true. For a start i know @Dark_Engraver and myself have worked out strategies to succeed.

complaining like this is what leads to CCP nerfing decent ideas into flop content to appease the masses.

1 Like

A slightly polemic piece …

It’s a shame, all this time wasted to find a strategy fighting a piece of code and random numbers. All this precious playtime could be instead spend well on strategies to live, survive, and fight in the sandbox. Wasn’t that the point of EvE in the beginning? Not a theme park played by the rules of the developers?

Not sure, think you blame the wrong group. The people constantly asking for more challenging PvE are those who do nothing else and got bored from doing the same thing over and over again.

PvPers care about the PvP aspect, so less people doing it, or people doing it in total safety (drawing them away from the sandbox), or dying inside, less prey to hunt.

If you have found a ship and a fit and a skill set and tactics that lets you deal, with certainty of survival, in all effects L5 with the unfortunate possibility of three rooms of death spawns to grind through, with suboptimal tower and effect placements all within 20 minutes then you have my heartiest congratulations.

However please don’t be too surprised to find that others do not find that credible.

So bask in your feelings of superiority, or Giggle inanely at the players who believe you, and die Endlessly, chasing the unachievable. Either works I guess.

3 Likes

There is a world of difference between asking for more interesting PVE, and those who ask for more painful PVE.

They are quite a different playerbase. And the loudest cheer at fan fest was reserved for the concept of more PVE players Dying, and that was not by those who would do said PVE. And those who cheered WILL celebrate either/both mass PVE player death and/or the total failiure of this latest attempt to add PVE content. Setting it up to fail will be a positive concept in their eyes.

There is a belief by some whose belief in the game is that it is a PVP game, that if PVE development stopped, there would be more resources expended towards them.

There has in reality NEVER been a true understanding that either self restraint or encouraging PVE will make for more hunting opportunities, the default choice is overfarm, and somehow The loot fairy will magically make more targets appear. Yes, some are rational enough to understand this deep down, but they don’t let that interfere with their current behaviour.

Hence the cheer. The cheer was NOT a cheer for people Dying. It was a cheer for OTHER people dying. OTHER PEOPLE!

Anyway, we are days away, we will see whether wiser heads determine CCP’s future, or pander to those who are comfortable/happy to see it fail.

4 Likes

In his defence, though I’m sure he doesn’t need it.

On sis in FD I have seen him disappear from local, then reappear under 20 mins later with a suspect timer. I’m pretty sure he has been successful at least in lvl4’s.

CCP will see the data and know exactly who is doing what. And how.

Kudos, no matter how ego inflating, must be given.

I do not doubt that he has achieved individual L4 or even individual L5, but the claims that they can be done consistently whatever the spawn, and his superior strategies and fits, are the answer, and others are just “Bads” do not appear credible.

Others can make their own minds up, it’s always good to have a messiah to show the way.

2 Likes

Like when you say, watch some snooker or something, and think yeh I can do that, I fancy a game. So you and a mate go off to a snooker club and spend 30 minutes trying to just pot a red ball!

And running these consistently is like clearing the table, each and every time he picks up a cue, sure… sure he can. Superior strategy clearly is the answer. :wink:

2 Likes

The annoying bit is that the pro’s make it look so easy.

Let us not digress into who has or hasn’t done what, and go back to content discussion though.

(they might slip up and leak their techniques if we lure them in)

If he has achieved PVE nirvana he will be Very Very Rich and that will be reward enough. He doesn’t need our praise for unsubstantiated claims.

Only He knows the truth.

And who knows, maybe they are testing the rats AI for when they open the sites up to Small group play, the hard spawns are certainly are more balanced towards that. We may get sane rats on release that give us fun, rewarding, PVE.

As i have stated before, i am not using dark matter filaments but the only the -resist filaments and am having acceptable survivability rate on t4s and t5s. what i consider acceptable survival rate compared to others may vary. I would consider a 90% survival rate - or surviving through nearly all spawn sequences within a filament (under stable server/client conditions).

I am always happy to answer questions from people about how to approach spawns. what i am disappointing in is just the complaining and negativity surrounding this content. as there usually is with all new content as its not quite what people had in mind.

1 Like

Very much appreciated. I understand your fit working pretty much like my (though I use speed instead of webifier, cause Vagabond does not have enough mid slots) so how you approach 5 leshaks sitting next to supressor? I mean - it takes forever to break their active tank. If I stop orbiting - my tank does not hold. If I orbit - I do not do enough damage to survive the timer… Puzzle.

2 Likes

Ditto. Would love to hear your thoughts on how to approach the various spawns. For example, when you get nailed by the massive Trig cruiser spawn - what’s the best approach? Run for the boundary and kite as best you can?

That is not at all what i am saying. and just drawing my comments out of context. I have said that they arent impossible like lots of people are moaning on the forums currently. as @Dark_Engraver in all his testing can corroborate the t4s and t5s are doable relatively “consistently”.

The issue i have is with people saying all tier 4 and 5 filaments are impossible and should be removed or nerfed because it is just patently not true, and this sort of attitude leads to CCP ruining content and stretching it so far from their original design vision due to player kickback - we’ve already seen it done recently in the mutaplasmids where a lot of vocal individuals both on the forums and reddit complained about what mutaplasmids would do without any real evidence - simply because the content wasnt live, and nobody can predict with any reasonable accuracy the course it will take when it hits TQ - and mutaplamids were nerffed…

I think mutaplasmids being nerfed had more to do with the reaction from the EVE Reddit community than anything else. I was all for the original proposed values.

2 Likes