Dev blog: Balance Changes Coming In The March Release

So a 20min travel change (assuming you dont run into camps/gangs)? Id say thats a pretty decent buff.

Not really. That’s a 20 minute travel change assuming everyone aligns perfectly. Under actual operating conditions, you can probably add 30m to each of those times. I know we’d budget 2h to get from Delve to Tribute… for battlecruisers.

Running into gangs/camps is expected. We are strictly talking travel times. You cannot calculate for gangs/camps/dumb line members, as the same conditions are present now. All things being equal, youd still have 20min gain (same camps, same route) when compared to old travel time.

Yes, it is. However, gangs/camps generally run away when 200 battlecruisers come in, so we don’t usually consider them a travel hazard.

So why would they slow you down? Would they also not run away from 200 battleships?

Lets simplify this, as it feels like youre dodging the point.

All things being equal (camps, enemy fleets/gangs, dumb line members), you fly from M-0 to 1DQ at 2AU/s in your 200man battleship fleet. You go up to 3AU/s, its still approximately a 20min travel time decrease.

We arent talking about fighting the enemy fleet in TiDi for 6 hours as part of travel time. We arent including waiting 3min to scare away the 5man gate camp your scout saw along the route. Strictly travel time is about a 20% decrease over that particular route which is far from a useless change.

Ok I get it, you have never been roaming looking for a fight, you have no idea what you are talking about - clearly shown by " Changing it would upset the current ecosystem".

What “ecosystem” are you talking about?
The one where we bait a defence fleet FC into dropping battleships on our cruiser BC fleet and we counter with carriers having supers at login?
Because I’m sorry to say THAT is the current “ecosystem” AND it won’t be changed by allowing what boils down to a very minimal change in the use of battleships.

Speeding up BS just so they can roam faster is not a reason to re-align the entire AU system that EVE operates at.

Sorry but I believe it is AND it would not only benefit roaming battleships either, it would be a nice QOL thing for defence fleets who don’t have a titan to bridge from that want to save a buddy or just go engage that gang roaming in their space - Of course they could just use BC’s or cruisers but why shouldn’t T1 battleships be more useful.

Usefulness is what this little change would amount to, so please, tell me why T1 battleships should not be made a little more useful. After all, they are one of the least used ships in Eve when it comes down to it because as you pointed out BC’s are just better (well one BC is anyway).

Damn fine ecosystem we currently have in Eve - One BC (Ferox) is the best for roaming, small fleets and large fleets.

Why have battleships at all, why have cruisers and frigates? When it comes to offence and defence subcaps, the Ferox can do it all.
So ok I concede you are right and I’ll agree with you Salvos - Don’t change anything, leave the “ecosystem” as it is.
I mean in reality, why should anything change. Eve is at its peak, there are good fights going on all over the place, bluedonuts don’t exist, one alliance hasn’t turned a whole region into a stronghold, right now the game is perfectly balanced. So don’t change a thing, it might upset the current ecosystem.

NB; I do hope my sarcasm is clear here.

2 Likes

Sgt, the one where everyone drops a carrier, a dread, a sooper dooper or a titan on a frigate…

That’s pretty cool! I’d just love to know what % of that is specifically the warp speed differential.

Do you believe increasing the warp speed of battleships by one AU will change that at all?

Because the issue seems to be, increasing battleship warp speed will change the way fleets operate, in a bad way.

LOL no I don’t.

And if you check prices for t2 battleship rigs, you may want to reconsider flying one anyhow.

They wouldn’t slow you down. I’m not the one who brought up gate camps, you are. My complications were:

Because they don’t. You have to wait for idiots among your own fleet on every damned gate. So no, I’m not dodging the point. I’m saying something completely different will slow the fleet down. Every fleet. No matter what they’re in. And because align time is slower in the bigger ship, people being stupid on their aligns is magnified.

So it’s 20m faster, best-case. That 20 minutes isn’t enough of an improvement to say ‘let’s bring these instead!’. People bring cruisers and BCs because they need more firepower than Destroyers or ArtyClaws. Make the BS faster, you make the cruiser faster, and Lo! People will still bring cruisers cuz they’re the fastest thing with enough firepower to be useful.

The point from my PoV is that “I could however, see myself bringing a BS, and not feel like I’m being ultra-punished in terms of travel time”. It’s more about making it a possibillity on my end, than making it the optimal choice. I just feel that the more potential choices that are out there, the healthier the game is.

1 Like

Yeah. My thinking was using Cheap T1 battleships, if you’re going to throw T2 rigs on it just bring a Mach.
You can field a T1 battleship with T2 fittings at a price that is open to pretty much anyone. The only drawback is how slow they are getting from point A to point B.

1 Like

Nothing quite like giving everyone 20 seconds to align and still leaving half your fleet behind in a fleet warp. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

And if that something slows down the 2AU BS, it will slow down the 3AU fleet the same, however, travel time will still be improved no matter how you slice it. I dont care about how dumb your line members are at aligning, talking strictly travel times. Its an improvement.

To add onto that, situations exist outside of large scale fleet roams. Small gang roaming with 3-7 people or even solo roaming. A smaller group is much more refined/independent and knows how to align, or youre by yourself and it doesnt really matter then.

1 Like

But orcas arent battleships.
Orcas are commercial vessels. A battleship is heavily armed with large and small guns to take on anything it encounters.
If they want them to be slow they need the oomph to hold their ground against mosquito’s.

Well if you don’t have a Hyperion with a web and a grappler to defang fighters, you will have a really bad day.

Yeah ive said before to give one of the three Bs for each empire a grap role bonus like cbc’s were given for range. It’s beyond just battleships but id like to see some creative bonuses in a role bonus for most of the t1 ships.

Do you mean command ships or the regular battlecruisers like the Harbinger or Brutix?

Oh regulars sorry, the combat battlecruisers opposed to the attack battlecruiser